U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,171,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Meh. I went on with my day just fine. Australians and Chinese are the groups of people where, I can say with certainty, I have NEVER left the meeting better than I went into it. Many people (such as yourself) like to then turn around the conversation and say Americans can be racist.

OF COURSE!

We're capable of doing/being anything any other group of people can do or be. The difference I find with Aussies is that they have such a gruff, rough, BOORISH way of doing everything, even being racist. Racism in the US tends to be more subtle. People will throw slurs if they are behind a computer or in a car speeding away. I would be SHOCKED if another American in his 30's (the Aussie looked about 33/35) came up to me and called me "BLACKY!" Um...WHAT?!

With Aussies, it's just another example of why I'll never go to that ex-penal colony turned desert island they lovingly call "OZ"...ugh

Trimac is not too unlike many non-Americans on this forum. Once someone criticizes their country, it's time to completely change the subject and talk about America's faults. Cuz, y'know, that was the topic...

Classic Red Herring.
Yes we can be rather boorish, but naturally the loud boorish ones will stand out. It doesn't mean most of us are like that (At least not sober!).

Well I'm just pointing out ways in which I think we're the 'lucky country.' There are aspects of life where I prefer here over the US.

You just sound closed-minded about Australia. I've been to America and generally found the people friendly. I don't let stereotypes prevent me from giving a place a 'fair go' as we say here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 PM

868 posts, read 930,330 times
I've never been to Australia, but it's somewhere I'd like to be born in in the next life if possible. A lot of Brits still emigrate there and seem to assimilate well. It's a new world country without as much love for guns + it has universal healthcare and seems to care about its poor. I find that very appealing, plus the music scene is great.

Am I right in saying that Australia would have most of the good things I like about the US (lots of space, ethnic diversity, beautiful modern cities) but not so much of the things I dislike (religious fundamentalists, right wing loons, the love of guns, bad treatment of the poor and often mindless individualism)?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 PM

5,470 posts, read 5,781,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You don't know many French people then.

Go to France, make an effort to speak the language and not be an obnoxious American tourist and I hereby guarantee you that you will find the French to be (for the most part) very civilised, polite, well mannered, cultured and kind people.

I've experienced far more (intentional and personal) rudeness throughout the US than France.

But if you go over there as an ignoramus who refuses to speak the language and demands Outback type service in restaurants, of course you are going to think that French people are rude.

Americans go to Paris expecting a fairytale or a museum, perhaps not realising that it's also a big city with big city problems like anywhere else.
Well be that as it may. I live in the United States and French is not spoken here except for Aroostok County, Maine and Cajun Louisiana. I have spent the past 13 years of my life learning Spanish and I want to explore as many Spanish - speaking countries as possible. I lived in Spain for 4 months and absolutely loved it.

I have no desire to learn French and I'm sure the people of France will be as happy about me not visiting as I am about not visiting since they don't appreciate people not speaking French which I completely understand. It's not about being an ignoramus, if I was an ignoramus I imagine I'd have no qualms about visiting France despite not speaking a lick of French.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM

12,094 posts, read 9,612,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes we can be rather boorish, but naturally the loud boorish ones will stand out. It doesn't mean most of us are like that (At least not sober!).

Well I'm just pointing out ways in which I think we're the 'lucky country.' There are aspects of life where I prefer here over the US.

You just sound closed-minded about Australia. I've been to America and generally found the people friendly. I don't let stereotypes prevent me from giving a place a 'fair go' as we say here.

You can't seem to grasp the fact that you are only the "lucky country" in your own mind. There is no huge exodus of Americans wanting to move to Australia. I don't know a single person that would want to live there. Many Americans would like to visit that is for sure. But very few would want to live there permanetly.

Most Americans view Australia as an unimportant backwater with a nice climate. Your views of the US are clouded by stereotypes, but go right ahead.

As a good friend of mine said quite a few years ago, Australia is nothing more than England with sunshine.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,171,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You can't seem to grasp the fact that you are only the "lucky country" in your own mind. There is no huge exodus of Americans wanting to move to Australia. I don't know a single person that would want to live there. Many Americans would like to visit that is for sure. But very few would want to live there permanetly.

Most Americans view Australia as an unimportant backwater with a nice climate. Your views of the US are clouded by stereotypes, but go right ahead.

As a good friend of mine said quite a few years ago, Australia is nothing more than England with sunshine.
You just sound like you have something against Australia. It's like I'm not even allowed to appreciate living here . What 'stereotypes' are you even talking about? I'm not shouting from the roof-tops about how Australia is so much better than anywhere else, all I said was I do I agree that we are 'lucky' and I feel personally that Australian possibly offers the best quality of life all-round of any nation right now.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM

391 posts, read 522,948 times
India.
Too dirty and people don't wash their hands after making a poo.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,168,615 times
Any African countries
SE Asia
Any of the former USSR nations (Russia, Slovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, etc.)
Central or South America
Bermuda
Greenland
Anywhere in the mid-east (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, etc.)
India
Bangladesh
Mongolia

Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,157,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
The difference I find with Aussies is that they have such a gruff, rough, BOORISH way of doing everything, even being racist. Racism in the US tends to be more subtle. People will throw slurs if they are behind a computer or in a car speeding away. I would be SHOCKED if another American in his 30's (the Aussie looked about 33/35) came up to me and called me "BLACKY!" Um...WHAT?!
Well, that just makes it worse, in my opinion. One would say what annoys you the most is not racism but the fact that people might not be physically cowardly in their racism...

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM

994 posts, read 1,013,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Any African countries
SE Asia
Any of the former USSR nations (Russia, Slovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, etc.)
Central or South America
Bermuda
Greenland
India
Bangladesh
Mongolia
I suppose your list would be a lot longer if you knew the names of more countries.

I can see why people are worried about the 'mid-east' though - judging by your post it seems to be expanding rapidly!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,753,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Any African countries
SE Asia
Central or South America
Bermuda
Greenland
India
Bangladesh
Mongolia
Thanks, I had a GREAT laugh. There's only one "former USSR nation" on that list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or