U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,172,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
There's a difference between picking one or two countries that don't really rouse your curiosity (especially if that's because you see them as similar to where you already live), and stating that you're not interested in visiting the majority of the globe.
I am not sure why just because one has an interest in travelling that you are assuming that should equate into wanting to travel *everywhere*. I have no interest in seeing a lot of countries for various reasons, be it climate (equatorial regions), perceived lack of things to do (Belize), crime (Mexico), repressive culture (Iran, U.A.E.) or health concerns (India, most of Africa). I'm not interested in shelling out several grand to see for myself if country X really differs that much from the things I read on travel forums, government travel advisories or the personal experiences of people I personally know. If there is a three-page list of instructions to follow in a country to ensure my health and personal safety, I have zero interest in travelling there.

Case in point: My wife wanted to go to Cuba for our honeymoon (I had never been, she had once before). I don't have much interest in "beach vacations", but agreed to go despite my reservaions about the country. The honeymoon was a total disaster and, despite $160 worth of vaccinations before leaving, I ended up sicker than I have ever been since childhood. I'm not interested in risking $2500 to return there or any other second or third world country when I can travel to the U.S. or Western Europe and have no fear whatsoever of that happening again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,251,727 times
....some people are so boring.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM

3,883 posts, read 7,497,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
This list doesn't mean I will never visit these places (although I will not visit most of them) or that I haven't visited them (very few I have), but rather what countries I don't have much of an interest in. For the ones I haven't visited yet, whether I go there depends on an extraordinary consequence (for example, I meet someone that is from Trinidad & Tobago and she invites me to visit her country with her, then yeah, I'll go. Or if a business trip takes me to Angola, then there's not much of a choice.)

AMERICA

Canada
Guatemala
Belize
Honduras
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Jamaica
Haiti
Bahamas
Dominica
Saint Lucia
Barbados
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Trinidad & Tobago
Venezuela
Ecuador
Chile
Bolivia
Paraguay

EUROPE

Portugal
Andorra
Lichtenstein
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Hungary
Austria
Germany
Denmark
Ireland
Sweden
Norway
Russia
Belarus
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Ukraine
Romania
Bulgaria
Albania
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Croatia
Montenegro
Kosovo
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Cyprus
San Marino
Iceland
Poland

AFRICA

Morocco
Algeria
Tunisia
Libya
Sudan
South Sudan
Ethiopia
Somalia
Kenya
Tanzania
Uganda
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Mozambique
Malawi
Madagascar
Seychelles
Mauritius
Swaziland
Zululand
South Africa
Botswana
Namibia
Angola
Congo
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Gabon
Equatorial Guinea
Central African Republic
Cameroon
Nigeria
Chad
Niger
Mali
Benin
Togo
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Liberia
Sierra Leone
Guinea
Gambia
Senegal
Mauritania
Mali

ASIA

Iraq
Jordan
Israel
Lebanon
Syria
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Bahrain
Qatar
Oman
Yemen
Iran
Armenia
Georgia
Azerbaijan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Kazakhstan
Kyrgistan
Tajikistan
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Nepal
Mongolia
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
Burma
Cambodia
Malaysia
Indonesia
East Timor
Phillipines
Taiwan
Laos
Vietnam
North Korea
South Korea
Japan

OCEANIA

Australia
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Fiji
Tuvalu
Kiribati
Marianna Islands
Samoa
Jaysus, Mary, and Saint Joseph. Really?? You had to list nearly every country on the planet? Tuvalu? Oh yeah...I guess we can agree on that since I've never even heard of it. I wonder if you've actually ever stepped foot outside your front door!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
244 posts, read 302,454 times
There are two types of countries I don't want to visit: places that are dangerous for most people (e.g. Congo) and places that are dangerous for Americans and/or women (e.g. Iran, Pakistan). There are several places I can think of that fit into these categories, but I'm not going to name them all.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM

3,359 posts, read 5,204,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Jaysus, Mary, and Saint Joseph. Really?? You had to list nearly every country on the planet? Tuvalu? Oh yeah...I guess we can agree on that since I've never even heard of it. I wonder if you've actually ever stepped foot outside your front door!
Maybe the poster just prefers Nauru or Palau over boring old Tuvalu?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-11-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,825,647 times
I'm sure I'll get hate for this, but I have absolutely no desire to visit France. It's ironic too because my paternal great-grandparents were from the Francophone region of Switzerland and my maternal great-grandparents were from Quebec, so I'm of majority French blood.

I'm not sure if it's because of the stereotypes about the rudeness of French, the fact that France is such a cliche destination for Americans, or the fact that I don't know nor care to know the language. Either way, it just doesn't seem like anywhere I'd particularly want to visit and I'm just not turned on by Paris the way most Americans seem to be.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM

4,571 posts, read 6,767,634 times
Ya know, I've never really had a strong attraction towards Ireland. I hear the landscape is beautiful, but other than that, there's nothing that really interests me about the cities there.

For a time, I had no interest in Spain, but lately it's starting to grow and I think I'd like to visit Madrid.

I mean, really the only thing that'd keep me from wanting to visit a country is if it lacked a major urban city.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 AM

11 posts, read 6,977 times
I don't care to visit any other countries besides the ones listed below.
Note: The ones with "(?)" beside them are the ones I'm unsure about.

Australia (?)
Brazil (?)
Cambodia
Canada
China
Dubai
England
France
Germany (?)
Hong Kong
Japan
Korea
Malaysia
Philippines (?)
Singapore
Spain (?)
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam

Last edited by keobear; 02-12-2013 at 04:42 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 AM

994 posts, read 1,016,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I am not sure why just because one has an interest in travelling that you are assuming that should equate into wanting to travel *everywhere*. I have no interest in seeing a lot of countries for various reasons, be it climate (equatorial regions), perceived lack of things to do (Belize), crime (Mexico), repressive culture (Iran, U.A.E.) or health concerns (India, most of Africa). I'm not interested in shelling out several grand to see for myself if country X really differs that much from the things I read on travel forums, government travel advisories or the personal experiences of people I personally know. If there is a three-page list of instructions to follow in a country to ensure my health and personal safety, I have zero interest in travelling there.

Case in point: My wife wanted to go to Cuba for our honeymoon (I had never been, she had once before). I don't have much interest in "beach vacations", but agreed to go despite my reservaions about the country. The honeymoon was a total disaster and, despite $160 worth of vaccinations before leaving, I ended up sicker than I have ever been since childhood. I'm not interested in risking $2500 to return there or any other second or third world country when I can travel to the U.S. or Western Europe and have no fear whatsoever of that happening again.
To me, this is not really a case of having 'no' interest in traveling to the places you've mentioned - it's more that you've decided on balance that you'd prefer not to visit them. Which is still a shame, but not quite the same thing.

On a broader point, I would say that people in the West who go through life avoiding non-Western countries on account of their being too dangerous/uncomfortable/boring, aside from mostly being mistaken, are a leading reason for the gradual relative decline of Western Europe and North America. People from these regions of the world have been brought up to think they have the best of everything, and in many respects they still do - but this hubris has a tendency of hanging around even as the facts of the world change, leaving populations that are complacent and inward-looking.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM

798 posts, read 1,337,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would love to visit just about every country in the world!! Just pay me the trip!!
Me too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or