U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,265,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The best thing is that Natsku is here. (Even if she's a northener).

The worst thing is that she's here, polluting our inbred genes with new ones.
I am terribly sorry for polluting the inbred genes, very inconsiderate of me I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,666,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know you're joking, but is there really a southerner vs. northerner thing in Finland?
Not on a very serious level, but there's some friction, yes. For example the media is very southern-based, so the northerners feel sometimes forgotten and so on. (The 'north' means here roughly the northern two thirds of the country, not only Lapland).

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,517,050 times
Good thing: Thinking about a good thing..hmm lol

Bad thing: I wish our winters were colder and wish we had more forests/wild animals

Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM

400 posts, read 278,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
So jealous of you
Me too.

Norway is what Canada should have been but will never be. Canadians are too dumb to elect smart leaders.

We have one of the most enviable resource bases in the entire world yet still our unemployment rate exceeds that in the US, we have not saved money like the norwegians in their sovereign fund, we have poor people unhoused in our (cold) cities even in winter, can't find a doctor in some of our cities, we have laughably crappy infrastructure (especially compared to europe and even some parts of the US)...blah blah blah.

What I'd like to have done to our political class shouldn't be committed to paper or written on the computer.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM

6,554 posts, read 4,729,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Me too.

Norway is what Canada should have been but will never be. Canadians are too dumb to elect smart leaders.

We have one of the most enviable resource bases in the entire world yet still our unemployment rate exceeds that in the US, we have not saved money like the norwegians in their sovereign fund, we have poor people unhoused in our (cold) cities even in winter, can't find a doctor in some of our cities, we have laughably crappy infrastructure (especially compared to europe and even some parts of the US)...blah blah blah.

What I'd like to have done to our political class shouldn't be committed to paper or written on the computer.
I am jealous of Canada as well.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM

11,502 posts, read 7,932,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Me too.

Part of the problem in Canada is the system in which we elect our leaders. A person can become PM with less than 40 percent of the popular vote. Some would argue that it really doesn't matter since politicians these days seem beholden to corporations and oil companies rather than the people. I wouldn't disagree.

The potential of Canada is huge. This story captures some of what we have lost.

Norway's Oil Fund Heads For $1 Trillion; So Where Is Alberta's Pot Of Gold?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM

400 posts, read 278,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Part of the problem in Canada is the system in which we elect our leaders. A person can become PM with less than 40 percent of the popular vote. Some would argue that it really doesn't matter since politicians these days seem beholden to corporations and oil companies rather than the people. I wouldn't disagree.

The potential of Canada is huge. This story captures some of what we have lost.

Norway's Oil Fund Heads For $1 Trillion; So Where Is Alberta's Pot Of Gold?
Exactly. By the way, Stephan Dion the former liberal leader is pushing Proportional Rep. as a way of addressing the problem you cite in your response. A small portion of the colossal wealth generated by our resource base ought to be saved, by a law that can't be overturned by any government, in some sort of sovereign wealth fund that could be used to finance long-term social investments. I'm tired of seeing our wealth finance lavish lifestyles of financial scum in London, New York, Zurich, or Sydney as it currently does.

"...Some would argue that it really doesn't matter since politicians these days seem beholden to corporations and oil companies rather than the people. I wouldn't disagree".

Of course that's what happens. People are in general bored of politics and don't want to take the time to realize how much they're being shafted by the very so-called representatives they elect. Pols get into power for the most part to serve the interests of organized money in exchange for an elevation in their socioeconomic status upon retirement from politics.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,114,559 times
France

Best:

- Ancient and rich culture
- Overall nice and varied landscapes for a relatively small country
- You can find many remote sparsely populated places, which is not always the case in western Europe.
- good transportation almost everywhere
- great healthcare system (the best in the world ?)
- You get financial help for many difficult situations in life (divorce, difficulty to find housing, etc. )
- relatively good (and varied) climate. Drought or winter storms are not unheard of but overall we're not too bad.
- The culture of criticism and debate.
- Public radio
- organic / quality food is relatively spread out
- Good natality rates. France's population grows steadily, and it's not only a result of immigration
- gay marriage
- secularism

Worst:

- Transportation costs an arm and a leg. Especially highway tolls
- The general feeling of depression and negativity
- culture of mistrust. You're not supposed to trust strangers. This may lead to a lack of civic sense
- Lack of honesty, prevalence of largely unspoken politeness rules that do not always make sense
- snobbish attitude is common and sometimes encouraged
- age segregation
- Unemployment and the bad state of economy
- Depressing political climate, I'm really scared for the future.
- University Grades are always more important than skills or experience to get a job
- Rampant sexism

- The difficulty to deal with ethnic minorities and the ambiguous relation we have with them (we claim we created human rights, yet ethnic minorities do not lead the same life as white caucasian french people). If you are young and look like you have north african ancestry, you're likely to have you ID checked on a daily basis by the police. Just because.

- Police culture. Police is everywhere and has lots of power and in many cases you can't do anything to defend yourself. Also, many city neighbourhoods see their nightlife shutdown because neighbors call the police anytime someone speaks a bit loud in the street. So much for a vibrant city nightlife...

- Centralism. For almost everyone outside of France, France = Paris. This pisses off most- non parisians because they feel relegated, and some parisians who do not want to be treated as the same level as the 55 millions of peasants. Also, this creates many problems like having to change train / plane in paris even if it makes no sense or the relative lack of cultural infrastructures in many big cities. Also, many cities are relatively small by european standards because of that.

- Energy Policy is largely based on nuclear plants, and renewable / green energy has almost no future.

Italy

Best:

- Food ! Need I say more ?
- Incredible diversity in landscapes
- Social relations. People are spontaneous and don't need a reason to meet and see each others. Everyone eating together regardless of age is a common sight here, and it's great to see everyone sharing food and laughter.
- Monuments, art, history... you know that
- Many big cities, and they all have their specificities
- moving around is relatively cheap
- Your family will always help you and you will never be left alone

- People usually say what they mean and mean what they say. It can be good and bad but I like it better than the politeness I was used to in France which was sometimes a form of hypocrisy. In France you cannot really be rude in a direct way, in italy it happens all the tine when you disagree.

- If girls see someone they find attractive on the street, they look at them. Since I moved here, I have discovered that I'm attractive to some girls other than my girlfriend, and that's nice to know.

worst:

- People drive too fast and dangerously. Basically if you're a pedestrian or a cyclist you don't exist.
- No civic sense whatsoever. Waiting in line means you have to be very careful of the line order because more often than not, people do not respect it, even old people.
- Bureaucracy is a nightmare
- Politics. I don't even understand how they work here.
- Mafia / camorra / n'dranghetta...
- The weight of family. Although this can be helpful, this can be a burden especially if you are a woman.
- It's not uncommon for people to stay at home until they're like 35. Housing prices are not really pleasant.
- People are a bit TOO noisy sometimes. I can hear the TV from someone who lives in the adjacent building. At least it's a lively place.
- The beaches suck, mostly. Sorry. I don't want to pay 20 euros for an umbrella and a DJ, I'd rather go to a natural beach.

Last edited by forgotten username; 09-09-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 03:41 PM

5,978 posts, read 3,408,241 times
My home country:

The United Kingdom:
Best - Thousands of years of an incredibly interesting mix of history, invasions, royalty, politics, writing, art, music, open mindedness and most importantly scientific discovery.

Worst - The ongoing downward decline in literacy... and the yobbish drinking culture.

Where I currently live:

The United States:
Best - Optimism, politeness, old school values, range of opportunity, ability to move around both geographically and career-wise, the stunning National Parks.

Worst - Gun culture, homelessness, religion, brainwashing

Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 781,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
France

Best:

- Ancient and rich culture
- Overall nice and varied landscapes for a relatively small country
- You can find many remote sparsely populated places, which is not always the case in western Europe.
- good transportation almost everywhere
- great healthcare system (the best in the world ?)
- You get financial help for many difficult situations in life (divorce, difficulty to find housing, etc. )
- relatively good (and varied) climate. Drought or winter storms are not unheard of but overall we're not too bad.
- The culture of criticism and debate.
- Public radio
- organic / quality food is relatively spread out
- Good natality rates. France's population grows steadily, and it's not only a result of immigration
- gay marriage
- secularism

Worst:

- Transportation costs an arm and a leg. Especially highway tolls
- The general feeling of depression and negativity
- culture of mistrust. You're not supposed to trust strangers. This may lead to a lack of civic sense
- Lack of honesty, prevalence of largely unspoken politeness rules that do not always make sense
- snobbish attitude is common and sometimes encouraged
- age segregation
- Unemployment and the bad state of economy
- Depressing political climate, I'm really scared for the future.
- University Grades are always more important than skills or experience to get a job
- Rampant sexism

- The difficulty to deal with ethnic minorities and the ambiguous relation we have with them (we claim we created human rights, yet ethnic minorities do not lead the same life as white caucasian french people). If you are young and look like you have north african ancestry, you're likely to have you ID checked on a daily basis by the police. Just because.

- Police culture. Police is everywhere and has lots of power and in many cases you can't do anything to defend yourself. Also, many city neighbourhoods see their nightlife shutdown because neighbors call the police anytime someone speaks a bit loud in the street. So much for a vibrant city nightlife...

- Centralism. For almost everyone outside of France, France = Paris. This pisses off most- non parisians because they feel relegated, and some parisians who do not want to be treated as the same level as the 55 millions of peasants. Also, this creates many problems like having to change train / plane in paris even if it makes no sense or the relative lack of cultural infrastructures in many big cities. Also, many cities are relatively small by european standards because of that.

- Energy Policy is largely based on nuclear plants, and renewable / green energy has almost no future.

Italy

Best:

- Food ! Need I say more ?
- Incredible diversity in landscapes
- Social relations. People are spontaneous and don't need a reason to meet and see each others. Everyone eating together regardless of age is a common sight here, and it's great to see everyone sharing food and laughter.
- Monuments, art, history... you know that
- Many big cities, and they all have their specificities
- moving around is relatively cheap
- Your family will always help you and you will never be left alone

- People usually say what they mean and mean what they say. It can be good and bad but I like it better than the politeness I was used to in France which was sometimes a form of hypocrisy. In France you cannot really be rude in a direct way, in italy it happens all the tine when you disagree.

- If girls see someone they find attractive on the street, they look at them. Since I moved here, I have discovered that I'm attractive to some girls other than my girlfriend, and that's nice to know.

worst:

- People drive too fast and dangerously. Basically if you're a pedestrian or a cyclist you don't exist.
- No civic sense whatsoever. Waiting in line means you have to be very careful of the line order because more often than not, people do not respect it, even old people.
- Bureaucracy is a nightmare
- Politics. I don't even understand how they work here.
- Mafia / camorra / n'dranghetta...
- The weight of family. Although this can be helpful, this can be a burden especially if you are a woman.
- It's not uncommon for people to stay at home until they're like 35. Housing prices are not really pleasant.
- People are a bit TOO noisy sometimes. I can hear the TV from someone who lives in the adjacent building. At least it's a lively place.
- The beaches suck, mostly. Sorry. I don't want to pay 20 euros for an umbrella and a DJ, I'd rather go to a natural beach.
cinco estrellas for a magnificent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or