U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM

12,332 posts, read 10,298,159 times

Advertisements

I saw this last night on Anderson Cooper 360 CNN new program. Recently a crazy guy down in Alabama kidnapped a kid and held him in his underground bunker for days. Seems the crazy guy was what they call a "Doomsday Prepper". These are people preparing for the end of the world due to their belief in biblical "end times" or just fear that the world is about to end. There are an estimated 3 million of them in the US.

Well it seems they are not all as crazy as the guy in Alabama, but to me they certainly do seem mentally unstable.

Here is the link to the short video about a family man in Utah that I saw last night on CNN:

Inside a Doomsday Prepper bunker Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

When I watched this I couldn't help but think that I really do live in one of the craziest countries on the planet. How did we come to this, or have these people always been here?

My question for people from other countries is, do you have people like this in your country?

Here are some more links about this movement in the US:

Doomsday Ready? More Americans Becoming 'Preppers' - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Rise of the Preppers: America's New Survivalists - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,102 times
A sizable portion of our population has been into the doomsday syndrome for decades but the idea doesn't originate with us. It seems this is a fantasy of mankind ever since he could reason. Of course this will certainly end some time but not for the reasons we generally give. We will all have an unpleasant surprise if we don't simply become extinct while the world carries on.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

2,268 posts, read 1,804,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
A sizable portion of our population has been into the doomsday syndrome for decades but the idea doesn't originate with us. It seems this is a fantasy of mankind ever since he could reason. Of course this will certainly end some time but not for the reasons we generally give. We will all have an unpleasant surprise if we don't simply become extinct while the world carries on.
Doesn't hurt to be prepared.

I would have written off preppers entirely if I didn't see people getting sxrewed during Katrina.

Some go overboard sure but there is nothing wrong with having say a remote defendable location or hidden supply caches.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,948,054 times
The education system in the states must be really bad - thats all im saying...

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
It seems to me that the doomsday idea has its origin in Christianity - that we are to prepare for the coming of the Christ at the end of the world. So, I would expect it to exist in every country that is majority Christian.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It could use some major reconstruction. A a return to yesteryear

What it took to get an 8th grade education in the US in 1895...

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, Kansas, USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Societyand Library in Salina, and reprinted by theSalina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie,''play,' and 'run.'
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs? For tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000... What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft...? Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)
[Do we even know what this is??]

1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.

7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks
and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)
1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each...
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.

Gives the saying 'he only had an 8th grade education' a whole new meaning, doesn't it?!

No wonder they dropped out after 8th grade. They already knew more than they needed to know!

No, I don't have the answers! And I don't think I ever did!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM

590 posts, read 663,717 times
Quote:
For middle and high school, yes, it is below the standards of developed countries. By the time the ones who finish high school reach college age, most only have academic backgrounds and abilities to major in social sciences or other humanities. It is widely publicized that there are few jobs available that require these types of degrees.

However, it is not as bad as you may gather from watching a program about doomsday preppers.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Quote:
It's really not the problem in this case. The US has a huge number of people who willfully turn their backs on... the world frankly. Led by their churches and Right-wing scaremongers like Limbaugh, they choose to beleive what they want to be beleive starting with the Bible.

BTW, the mentally ill shooter from Newtown, CT and his mother were also preppers. Not sure anything good comes out of that.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

I'm guessing education varies from state to state.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It's really not the problem in this case. The US has a huge number of people who willfully turn their backs on... the world frankly. Led by their churches and Right-wing scaremongers like Limbaugh, they choose to beleive what they want to be beleive starting with the Bible.

BTW, the mentally ill shooter from Newtown, CT and his mother were also preppers. Not sure anything good comes out of that.
Thats where education comes in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or