Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 AM

994 posts, read 1,232,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
In my opinion, Yemen, although the most unknown, is the most interesting Muslim country. I never visited and didn't know this untill recently, when I saw a collection of photos of it.

Is a country of mountains with incredible landscapes and very ancient cities and villages perched on rocks. A sort of Middle-East Italy, almost without modern architecture.

Because of isolation, everything is archaic and stuck in time, the athmosphere, people living according to ancient customs.

In my opinion, is the real country of 1001 Nights and is is incredible how such gems like Yemen in ME or Romania in Europe remain uknown, only because people assume they know everything and don't search further.

Well, Yemen is not really unknown - National Geograpic magazine did a feature on it recently . But I agree it looks like a fascinating country. The thousand-year-old high-rises in Sana'a would be worth the trip alone for me. I don't know how many independent travelers make it there at the moment - I suspect must are put off by the supposed danger of kidnapping, however real or otherwise that may be...

Romania is another country that I agree should be far better known - what a landscape! I visited nine years ago and TBF, I did find other travellers from all over, althoug fewer than in other countries I'd been in.

This thread is quite an eye-opener about how people see the world. Lots of people seem to have no interest in going anywhere too different from where they're from, or anywhere they perceive as poor - and are put off large swathes of the world because they think, often quite wrongly, they are very dangerous.

I wonder, looking at those posters who have dismissed much of the globe as uninteresting to them, if they are in fact simply aware that they will never get to visit most of those places, and would prefer to characterize this to themselves as lack of interest rather than want of opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,548,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post

I wonder, looking at those posters who have dismissed much of the globe as uninteresting to them, if they are in fact simply aware that they will never get to visit most of those places, and would prefer to characterize this to themselves as lack of interest rather than want of opportunity.

I don't think this is the cause, but the prejudices. You see a documentary and hear something (often bad) about a place and think you know everything about that country / place, when in fact experiencing it in reality it is far richer and is not place on this earth that doesn't worth to be visited.

There is a word among Romanians, "each country visited is like you gain another life", meaning that each country is another "world", a way (of the local people) of seeing things and living different from others.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,850 times
I believe that every place you go is your experience, and what you make of if is yours . There is bad and good in the world there is no perfect place but we strive for profection if you look for good then good can come from what you seek. If there is bad never let it take it away from your peace and joy and deplete you. Always make the most of what you have. it takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch but it takes one good person to make a difference. i think there's good in a many of places you just have to look inside yourself to find the good in things in places and life.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,838,348 times
1. Oman
2. Turkey
3. Morocco
4. Egypt
5. Jordan

If Yemen and Pakistan weren't so dangerous for foreigners (and locals), they probably would be on my list as well.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,830,482 times
- Oman
- Morocco
- Malaysia
- Indonesia
- UAE

Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM

293 posts, read 717,513 times
People say that Iran, Egypt, Kuwait, Yemen, and UAE are the bomb.....!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,838,026 times
None

Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM

89 posts, read 234,464 times
Turkey - Not sure why they're not in the EU yet. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

Jordan - Dated a young woman from there, she really made it seem like a beautiful place.

Morocco - Where Europe and the Middle East intertwine. Looks really nice in pictures.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
I wouldn't live in any of them, but to visit? Turkey would be first on my list, followed by Morocco, Serbia, Egypt, and the Maldives,

Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 15,931,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't live in any of them, but to visit? Turkey would be first on my list, followed by Morocco, Serbia, Egypt, and the Maldives,
Serbia is Islamic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World