U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,235,686 times
Reputation: 16469

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
More PC BS. There are differences between ethnic groups, but maybe you're not old enough or attuned enough to have noticed.

PC, BS?

You realize just about the only women I date are foreign right? I also hang out with tons of latinos and other races. Another thing, I'm one of the last people to be PC. I just think your generalizations are dumb.

I'll give you a generalization... usually people who make remarks like you have an inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
 
333 posts, read 241,366 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
PC, BS?

You realize just about the only women I date are foreign right? I also hang out with tons of latinos and other races. Another thing, I'm one of the last people to be PC. I just think your generalizations are dumb.

I'll give you a generalization... usually people who make remarks like you have an inferiority complex.
Well, I think people who PC BS are the ones who have an inferiority complex.

If white people are the same as you are then why don't you date them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 27,556,134 times
Reputation: 8732
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've dated so many ethnicities, Africans, Peruvians, Brasilians, Colombians, Indians, White and while there are certain differences.. all can be friendly, all can be mean and all can be boring and all can be fun.

You could date the funnest arab in the world, but it doesn't mean you can then go out and say arabs are the funnest girls in the world to date.
Ah yes, my hot button. In bold.

You're right; however, there are patterns one sees. I've gone to school or worked with Italians I detested but, most often, this was not the case.

BTW, I didn't write that stuff in the OP, but I do make comments in the world section of my interpretations of Europe and the different cultures. I would never say that Italians are violent - rude, yes, violent, no - they are all about making love, not war - they are too lazy to go to war.

Still, the patterns play out. Certain schools are popular with people from certain countries. I guess, like waves of immigration, they follow their fellow countrymen. Grad school had a sizable Greek contingent, who I met in the building I lived in during year 1. Meet one, meet all the others. They were a kick.

Also, why is it that nowhere in the U.S. have I had more people start up conversations with me as if they had known me their whole lives like in northern NJ, with the needle of the Empire State Building peering over the trees, and I lived on the other coast? Either they read me as a local or I sent off some kind of vibe I usually don't. In other parts of the country, I don't get chatted up anywhere as much, unless it's for MLM, for which they will be told off.

Correct. For those who have cultural patterns in place that they want in a relationship, it's an uphill battle ... good word for it. That's why they have religion and ethnic specific on-line dating sites, for example.

Add: all Europeans consider themselves white, but southern Europeans might differentiate themselves by calling people north of the Alps as "Anglos," "Nordic" or "those from the north," among other terms, if trying to paint with a broad brush.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-10-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,873 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Reputation: 68757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
If white people are the same as you are then why don't you date them?
It turns out, burgl is half Brazillian.

By "White people", you must mean: Anglo-Germanic types? Because Italians are considered White people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,235,686 times
Reputation: 16469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
Well, I think people who PC BS are the ones who have an inferiority complex.

If white people are the same as you are then why don't you date them?

I think PC people are idiots too, the difference is that I'm nothing close to PC. I just think your generalizations are terrible. I'm saying your views are incorrect and stupid.


I go out with white girls too, just so happens I don't always click with them like I do others. I'll tell you one thing, out of the people I know.. the most subdued ones have been from Brasil. Bet you'd stick to your Hollywood view on Brasilians though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
 
333 posts, read 241,366 times
Reputation: 136
Here's a WASP who moved back to the Pittsburgh area who is saying exactly the same thing I'm saying, but from the other side of the coin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Pittsburgh's ethnic mix includes a lot of Eastern Europeans and Mediterraneans, and their culture is blue collar and drinkers and smokers. And very Catholic. Catholic men go out and party and run around a lot, while the women are left at home with the housework and the children.

That heavy patriarchal Catholic influence is everywhere in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. I don't know how you feel about Catholicism, but I'm a Protestant female who grew up surrounded by working-class Catholics who don't have better than 8th grade or high school education, and their attitudes toward women, other races, and homosexuals have always offended me. Additionally, I consider those values ignorant, archaic, and deeply rooted in superstition.
She is a fish out of water in the Pittsburgh environment. She is saying basically the same thing I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I don't hate Pittsburgh, but I'm a single heterosexual female who no longer has the slightest interest in either church or raising children. I lived in the South for years, and I worked and socialized with only engineers and technologists and the administrative personnel who worked for them. Most of them were Protestants, college grads, dual-income Protestant couples, and they capped their family size at 0 to 2 children. I don't take well to provincial people who can't ever put a wrap on child-rearing. Or who insist that women are subordinates for s.ex and childrearing and the role of family servant. I'm a WASP, and I want to hang with the well-educated WASPs and Jews.

Read this. Even a man noticed something amiss, haha.
what's wrong with women in PA

I haven't lived in Columbus. But I have been there for business, and I used to make an annual trip there for the woodworking show / tool sale at the fairgrounds. I usually stayed in the Dublin area motels, and every biz trip I made was to companies in the Dublin area. The people I saw in restaurants were polished, well-groomed, and well-dressed. I really didn't see many slobs at the woodworking show, either. I'd compare that part of Columbus to the Cranberry area of Pittsburgh: It's yuppie, urban professional, educated, and "establishment."

Pittsburgh and Youngstown and other old mill towns still retain a good bit of that "anti" attitude toward education, prosperity, ambition, and treating women as equals. I don't know enough about Columbus overall, but I could live / work in the Dublin area and be perfectly content.
Get what I'm saying now?

Last edited by SevenEleven; 02-10-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM
 
333 posts, read 241,366 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It turns out, burgl is half Brazillian.

By "White people", you must mean: Anglo-Germanic types? Because Italians are considered White people.
Yes, I should clarify. I am white, of course. "White people" is used tongue-in-cheek by me and most of my compatriots to refer to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,873 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Reputation: 68757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
Yes, I should clarify. I am white, of course. "White people" is used tongue-in-cheek by me and most of my compatriots to refer to Americans.
I think we had a thread on this, once. About how the Anglo-Germanic heritage has created a more emotionally-reserved culture, whereas Latins and E Europeans tend to be more demonstrative, and a bit less inhibited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 27,556,134 times
Reputation: 8732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think we had a thread on this, once. About how the Anglo-Germanic heritage has created a more emotionally-reserved culture, whereas Latins and E Europeans tend to be more demonstrative, and a bit less inhibited.
That's why all the first-gen Italians and Greeks I've known in Seattle seemed like they were born with one testicle, in terms of full dosage of personality, because the local social context washed out the "understood" personal style right out of their systems. East Coast people of those ethnic groups do not like the PacNW for that reason, and they identify their displeasure with "What's wrong with these people?" Conversely, those of the PacNW would like to buy those people a one-way ticket back to where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM
 
3,523 posts, read 3,757,762 times
Reputation: 2170
I'm African, and I have a lot of African like mannerisms...

For example...

You can never get a straight answer out of me. Nothing is a straight "yes" or "no". I'm always fence sitting. "If you look at it like this then..." or "Perhaps you're right but he's right too"...

I make my point in very indirect ways. If you ask me a question and expect an answer, I'll tell you what I refer to as "parables"....lessons I've learned from my own life. If you ask me how it relates to your problem, I'm like "I can't solve your problems, I can only solve mine". I expect you to make the jump from what I'm saying to what I mean, and if you can't do that...well, I'll try to make you do so. So many people have told me "I talk in circles" or to "just spit it out".

I'm very quiet around those I don't know well. I always give people the benefit of the doubt.

I'm very stingy with money. I still know who owes me like $5 from more than ten years ago. At the same time, I know who I owe money to, and I avoid them...because I know that when we meet, the first thing is that he'll ask me about it. If I'm eating out, I try to calculate how much money I'd need to make the exact same thing. It makes me angry when I've spent $5 on something that I could make with $2. The other day, I was eating soup...and I told the lady to "reduce the price of the soup" because I noticed if you buy two 12 oz containers it costs just as much as one 16 oz container. I take things like this personally.

I'm too kind. If someone needs something, I'll give it to them, even if I need it. Of course, he'll be in my debt from then on, so, I pretty much abuse that. Seriously, someone once owed me like $5 and in my mind it gave me license to go to his house whenever I wanted and eat his food. He payed me back because "it was cheaper to do so".

My house is always open to anyone for anything, as long as you know me. You can come and eat and sleep and hang out, no questions asked.

Around a group of people I'm comfortable with, I can talk like there is no tomorrow. Just yap, yap, yap...yet if I don't know you well....just silence.

When you come to my house, I'll always offer you a drink and food, especially if you're a girl. If you refuse, it's a problem. If you want something I don't have, I'll go to the store and buy it for you. If you're a guy, I'll offer it to you....but I want you to say no. I'm not rich, you know...I'll give it to you, then complain about how much it's costing me. But if you say no, I get slightly offended and don't expect you to stay around too long.

I've been called proud. I don't know how that's an insult. Pride is a good thing, right?

I'm strict when it comes to hierachy. The eldest is always to be respected. If a younger person is being disrespectful to an elder person, then he'll be put into his place.

Women are sacred. Basically, women don't have "laws" or "morals" that they need to abide by, they do whatever they want. Guys, however, there are many lines you don't cross.

If I find you disagreeable, I won't "cut you out"....I'll still be there for you, because, hey, everyone has flaws....everyone needs friends, no need to not be that person for you. I'm not perfect either...so, yeah.

I'm always quoting people. "As the saying goes....". Then the other guy will be like "Yeah, but you know in the bible it says..."....then I'll be like "In Africa, there is a saying....". It's like a huge quoting competition...

I can snap at the smallest of things if you push the right buttons. We can go from being close to beating each other up to being close again in a matter of hours. Some of my best friends are people who I've fought with. Usually, you know which buttons not to push if you've hung around long enough, with me or another guy, so if you push those buttons, it's not because you didn't know, it's because you wanted to. Then, it's personal, and when it's personal...it's a problem.

I like talking about people behind their back (not vindictively), and I know many talk about me behind my back. It's just human nature.

People complain about money, and I'm like "then work"....two minutes later, I'm complaining about money.

I absolutely suck at holding grudges. I'll be giving you the silent treatment, then the next day I'm like "this is exhausting"...and I break. African women though? I've had women not talk to me for months....just straight up ignoring me because she's holding a grudge. It's both awesome and annoying at the same time. It's a super power, I swear.

Last edited by dub dub II; 02-10-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top