U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,463,871 times

Advertisements

What European country are you from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Here it is nothing weird, specially into families, but men who are friends, or even on TV programs men kiss each others many times.
Women always always do.
Is it not really awkward? Personally i'd feel like i'd committed a sin.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,635,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What European country are you from?
Spain.
I think in UK is not usual but what about between women? I ask because people say it's weird but I have been kissed in 2 cheeks by women there

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Is it not really awkward? Personally i'd feel like i'd committed a sin.
Not really, it is much more usual between women, in fact women shaking hands it's only usual in very formal situations.
Men use the hands shake more often than women but it's not strange to see it with men. I remember in the football match Spain-Portugal in Euro2012, just before the penalties players were kissing Iker Casillas to wish him good luck.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM

15,893 posts, read 12,454,686 times
I certainly wouldn't want to kiss another guy on the cheeks, but it's not homophobia- women are just a lot nicer to kiss.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,546,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For the record, very frequently in places where people do "la bise" on the cheeks, there is actually no lip-to-cheek contact, and often you end up rubbing or lightly tapping cheeks with people as opposed to actually kissing or being kissed.
There needs to be a clarification on what the OP means. In most places where it is a common greeting, the norm for "cheek kissing" is no lip-to-cheek contact as Acajack mentioned. In some places, cheek-to-cheek contact between man to woman is normal, but people do not do lip-to-cheek at all if the relationship is not intimate. In these cultures, men who do the check-to-cheek kiss may or may not be acceptable, but I don't know which countries it is customary for men to have a lip-to-cheek kiss!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,171,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats disgusting. If they ever come here and do that, they'd get beat up and I will personally vomit. Woman don't really kiss each-other here either, don't know where your getting that one out of.

Kissing the opposite sex has always been unacceptable. Always.
If that's the case Northern Ireland sounds almost as bad as Uganda.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,463,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If that's the case Northern Ireland sounds almost as bad as Uganda.
I'm sure its the same thing in Australia? Can't imagine any westernized country being alright about men kissng each other.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,171,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm sure its the same thing in Australia? Can't imagine any westernized country being alright about men kissng each other.
By westernised i assume you mean Anglo. But no, being violent about it isn't typical of most here, although some probably.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
I wouldn't say that kissing between men here is a taboo. 'Weird' would be the word of my choosing. Taboo here is like incest or murder. Like omertà, you'll have to do something that is almost unthinkable.
As the British or Germans, we aren't that touchy-feely either, but on the other hand we don't have such strict social norms, we are quite casual.

Two men kissing each other on the cheek is a 'Russian' thing, and we want to keep a distance with their customs. On the other hand, cheek-kissing between a male and a female is ok, except it's not a part of our traditional customs either. It can be seen as phony or exaggerated.
Hugging and kissing are mostly used on special occations. Between close friends, at a ceremony etc, or as an agreement. A kiss on the mouth is always a sexual thing, but if you want to kiss a very good friend of the opposite sex on the cheek at a party for some reason, very few will raise an eyebrow.
Hugs between males are totally accepted if you have a reason for doing it, like the reasons mentioned above.

Kissing and hugging children is a bit different. Almost strangers can hug children and more persons of the extended family are allowed to kiss them. Naturally, a godfather or a close family friend may kiss the child, but of course kissing the mother/father would be considered quite unacceptable.

I watched the Finnish annual sports gala a few weeks back, and noticed clear differences between the sportsmen and -women who collected their awards. You were 'supposed' to hug the male presenter and kiss the cheeks of the female presenters, and I noticed a huge difference how people acted. Some people were comfortable with the ceremony, some weren't. The biggest difference I saw when a visiting Swiss presenter of the award just tapped the male recipient on the shoulder. He was just too uncomfortable to hug and that just seemed a bit off for me as well.

As in all countries, we have double standards as well. As you can maybe guess regarding Finland, one reason is alcohol. While at a business meeting, hugging or kissing another may be a faux-pas, but after a few beers a few hugs and lots of friendly touching is quite acceptable. Of course, regarding friends. A tap on the ass on the ice-cold businesswoman even while drunk is unacceptable.

About the 'gay' thing, I don't know. Two men kissing passionately at a nightclub is sometimes overlooked, sometimes one gets beaten up because of wearing women's clothes. Using a pink pen or shirt will not get you bullied. In sports, a tap on the ass is overlooked, but team sports are pretty gay.

Greetings can vary anything between a nod of the head and a kiss on the cheek. Do as you are comfortable with.

Last edited by Ariete; 02-16-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,494,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
It's also a taboo in Brazil. I don't know about other countries in Latin America.
i spent a week in argentina in 2004 , guys out on ranches were kissing each other on the cheek all the time , its an italian thing , tony soprano often plants a smacker on paulie and sivios face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or