U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,498,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats disgusting. If they ever come here and do that, they'd get beat up and I will personally vomit. Woman don't really kiss each-other here either, don't know where your getting that one out of.

Kissing the opposite sex has always been unacceptable. Always.

its just a cultural norm , thats all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,222,834 times
When I moved to Wallonia, I really had to get used to people kissing each other hello or goodbye all the time. Everyone does it, men, women, little kids. It was a bit of a culture shock to see teenage guys greeting each other with a kiss, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't think owenc is a good representation of his country. He seems to have more deep rooted issues that a therapist could help him with.

True that. OwenC is the textbook definition of a xenophobe.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,601,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If that's the case Northern Ireland sounds almost as bad as Uganda.
Or maybe people here are just really conservative and old fashioned?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,159,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
It's a cultural thing, most likely originated somewhere in the Mediterranean where it's very common and spread to the French and Spanish colonies.
I've never see two men kiss each other in France or Spain, nor in the former colonies. The only exception I can think of is Buenos Aires, perhaps through Italian influence, but if you go to the interior of the country it's a handshake.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM

2,872 posts, read 3,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I've never see two men kiss each other in France or Spain, nor in the former colonies. The only exception I can think of is Buenos Aires, perhaps through Italian influence, but if you go to the interior of the country it's a handshake.
I do it regulary with my family and close friends.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,636,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Yes it is very usual in Spain too, yesterday night I could see in a pub some guys going home and kissing the others who stayed to say bye, I remembered this thread.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,468,529 times
Quote:
By westernised i assume you mean Anglo. But no, being violent about it isn't typical of most here, although some probably.
who said anything about violence. Straight Men kissing men is very rare in the world.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
who said anything about violence. Straight Men kissing men is very rare in the world.
OwenC said that you'd probably get beaten up for trying that where he lived. Of course not that literally, for the most part, but it does seem many in the West have an almost violent aversion to it.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,601,549 times
Quote:
OwenC said that you'd probably get beaten up for trying that where he lived. Of course not that literally, for the most part, but it does seem many in the West have an almost violent aversion to it.
Its true though if you went to an average bar and did that maybe not but if you did it every time you went to a bar you would get beat up.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 AM

2,872 posts, read 3,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I have a question for users from Anglo and northern European culture: You seem to find odd, unusual or even 'gay' if a man do a kiss cheek to a male friend; but is it also true with members of your family?
Do you never do a cheek kiss to your brother, father, grandpa or cousins
too? Is this 'taboo' so strong that you handshake even your close relatives?
Ding handshaking to my members of my family is just unthinkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or