U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,495,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I have a question for users from Anglo and northern European culture: You seem to find odd, unusual or even 'gay' if a man do a kiss cheek to a male friend; but is it also true with members of your family?
Do you never do a cheek kiss to your brother, father, grandpa or cousins
too? Is this 'taboo' so strong that you handshake even your close relatives?
Ding handshaking to my members of my family is just unthinkable.
Well I'm not 'white European' so it may differ. I do a cheek kiss with my family members sometimes but its mainly a hug. If I do do a cheek kiss it would be with a female and a baby not other male members in my family. But we don't do a cheek kiss because its 'gay' just tha its not in our culture, i'm from the west indies and men kissing men is really uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,651,203 times
Quote:
I have a question for users from Anglo and northern European culture: You seem to find odd, unusual or even 'gay' if a man do a kiss cheek to a male friend; but is it also true with members of your family?
Only woman do those kind of things and when they do its kind of rare.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM

314 posts, read 930,125 times
Quote:
I do it regulary with my family and close friends.
In Spain is also like this.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 AM

455 posts, read 877,006 times
I don't if anyone else here is like this? but i do get paranoid sometimes with people's hygiene and especially with catching colds and especially during flu season.

I've never even been a huge fan of shaking hands let alone kissing others on the cheek. God i could only imagine what that would be like in february when everybody's got the sniffles yikes... I actually think the japanese may have it right with the simply head bow, or maybe make first bumping more socially acceptable in more formal situations?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 AM

7,179 posts, read 6,053,712 times
I used to live with a Croatian woman and the first time I met her father I had to kiss his cheek (I did it to be polite as he moved in to kiss mine!) I have to say to this day it gives me nightmares (shuddah)! He is about 6feet 5inch and 24 stones, with a full beard! He did notice my discomfort and he did then remark that he knew the English 'didnt do that sort of thing' when greeting each other so he told me from there on in he would just shake my hand! lol

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,231,412 times
Quote:
In the Netherlands women kissing each other on the cheek is very common, men and women kissing each other on the cheek is also quite common but men kissing each other on the cheek is extremely rare. Men usually just shake hands. We give three kisses instead of two, which always causes confusion with foreigners, lol.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM

314 posts, read 930,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
In the Netherlands women kissing each other on the cheek is very common, men and women kissing each other on the cheek is also quite common but men kissing each other on the cheek is extremely rare. Men usually just shake hands. We give three kisses instead of two, which always causes confusion with foreigners, lol.
But is rare even between family members?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,651,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
But is rare even between family members?
Idk why people are going on as if family members are some sort of exception. I have never ever kissed a family member except my mother and my grandparents - infact I have only ever hugged my grandfathers, and that is rare.

I personally would feel disgusting if I kissed my sister.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,306,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Also here, but rare among men. I'm more interested in this double-standard and how it arose. I honestly DO think it's connected to homophobia. I wonder when it arose as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,495,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Idk why people are going on as if family members are some sort of exception. I have never ever kissed a family member except my mother and my grandparents - infact I have only ever hugged my grandfathers, and that is rare.

I personally would feel disgusting if I kissed my sister.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or