Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,232,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I have a question for users from Anglo and northern European culture: You seem to find odd, unusual or even 'gay' if a man do a kiss cheek to a male friend; but is it also true with members of your family?
Do you never do a cheek kiss to your brother, father, grandpa or cousins
too? Is this 'taboo' so strong that you handshake even your close relatives?
Ding handshaking to my members of my family is just unthinkable.
i never remember hugging ( let alone kissing ) my father when he was alive , he died young

id give my mum a hug for christmas nowadays but from the age of twelve to about twenty five , i never hugged my mum once bar the time i flew to australia for six months , i was your typical macho young male who didnt do that kind of thing , i get on great with my mum but we never feel the need to hug

only time i ever hugged a man was on the football field while celebrating a goal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,793,115 times
I always hug my mum. I really dont care call me a baby whatever I dont care! I dont kiss her however.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I always hug my mum. I really dont care call me a baby whatever I dont care! I dont kiss her however.
I think anyone who thinks hugging their mum is weird has serious issues or came from a fairly cold family.

My mum said her mother never hugged her which just sounds sad.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM

298 posts, read 1,150,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think anyone who thinks hugging their mum is weird has serious issues or came from a fairly cold family.

My mum said her mother never hugged her which just sounds sad.
I has to be cultural because I think the same about the people who doesn't kiss their parents or siblings.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
I has to be cultural because I think the same about the people who doesn't kiss their parents or siblings.
It might be. I'm not sure if hugging is a part of more traditional Asian culture, even among family members.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM

26,721 posts, read 22,281,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
There needs to be a clarification on what the OP means. In most places where it is a common greeting, the norm for "cheek kissing" is no lip-to-cheek contact as Acajack mentioned. In some places, cheek-to-cheek contact between man to woman is normal, but people do not do lip-to-cheek at all if the relationship is not intimate. In these cultures, men who do the check-to-cheek kiss may or may not be acceptable, but I don't know which countries it is customary for men to have a lip-to-cheek kiss!

In fact it's far more common for Russian man to give a kiss on a cheek to another man ( usually with a bear hug,) than to kiss him on lips, the way you've mentioned the Soviet leaders were greeting other Soviet block leaders.

Watch closer here between 6:28 and 6:34

The Unknown War - War in the Air 04/05 - YouTube

We are talking military here, plus a very macho culture in general; of course it was a culture where homosexuality was outlawed for long time.
This a culture that operates on a totally different emotional wavelength comparably to Anglo-Saxons, and if you notice, the French guys grin when they get kisses from Russian pilots, because they are already familiar with Russian customs, although in their own culture this kind of hugs and kisses is not a common thing.

And this is a famous scene from Soviet days - Brezhnev kissing Erich Honecker on the lips;

http://balance-6.storage-6.vkurse2.v...-popup-low.jpg

( What made you think that Russians would stop at other Slavic man - Germans would do just fine as well, ) but what you see here is already a show-off; the kind of hugs and kisses that were in previous video is really what it used to be in real life.

(Now it's all slowly changing of course, when homosexuality became legal as in the Western European countries. There is a reason why Russians resist it a lot.)

Last edited by erasure; 02-22-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Its not the same as kissing.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Its not the same as kissing.
Is not the same for you, for me it is exactly the same.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM

It isn't the same...

Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM

And again, it isn't the same for you, for me it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World