U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

The London Underground and Tokyo Subway, for instance, both shut down shortly after midnight, even on weekend nights!

What is the reason for this? Obviously, there are tons of people out at night, so you would expect they would continue to do so.

Is it in order to allow taxi drivers to make a living? I'm just surprised London and Tokyo don't have 24/7 hour systems like NYC. Some other cities like Berlin, Madrid and Chicago have 24/7 transit systems so why not these two mega-cities? They're as 24/7 cities as anywhere else in the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The London Underground and Tokyo Subway, for instance, both shut down shortly after midnight, even on weekend nights!

What is the reason for this? Obviously, there are tons of people out at night, so you would expect they would continue to do so.

Is it in order to allow taxi drivers to make a living? I'm just surprised London and Tokyo don't have 24/7 hour systems like NYC. Some other cities like Berlin, Madrid and Chicago have 24/7 transit systems so why not these two mega-cities? They're as 24/7 cities as anywhere else in the world.
I'm not going to lie "Trimac20", you seem to always make very interesting thread topics on this forum.

As to the originally question I would suggest that most of the transit employees in those cities really don't want to work the grave yard shift on the weekends. Either way it's ridiculous for cities of their size not to have 24/7 subway service.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM

4,557 posts, read 4,815,301 times
One argument against the 24h service on weekends in Vienna were the additional costs for that. Security personal, electricity and bonuses for working late hours/on weekends for the drivers. An additional 5.6 Million Euros per year.

In the end there was a referendum and we got that 24h service. As a consequence ticket prices were raised by 15%.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM

994 posts, read 1,012,351 times
I have been told that the only very large system to run 24/7 is NYC (which still runs a much-reduced service after hours); Berlin runs some lines through the night on weekends, but not weekdays afaik. I have also been told that the reason this is technically possible on the NYC system is that most lines have two sets of track in each direction (hence the ability to have slow and fast trains), which means that maintenance work can be done without completely closing it down.

In London, the tube runs until shortly before 1am, after which you will see armies of engineers descend one the system - which presumably indicates that most of the down-time is used for maintenance. The system opens up again around 5.40. Having said that, Transport for London recently announced that the tube would run until 2am on weekends from 2015 - much to the ire of staff, who were not best pleased at learning of this from the evening papers! So presumably it would be possible for them to manage with less maintenance time, somehow. Short of some help from a Russian oligarch (which is how the London Evening Standard is kept going), the tube will never run 24/7 as it only has one tunnel in each direction, and the great depth at which they run would make the cost of digging another in each direction out of the question (the 42km of new tunnel required for the Crossrail project is the main reason for that costing ~$35bn).

London is still a pretty easy city to get around at night, thanks to a comprehensive network of reasonably regular night buses. The same can't be said of Tokyo, which I find the most surprising - it's arguably a more 24-hour city than London, Paris or NYC (normal stuff goes on through the night, not just partying), but it has virtually no public transport of any kind after around 12:30.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times
Indeed, it is in fact a maintenance issue. Subway systems need downtime every day for several hours of maintenance work, and can only be run 24/7, like in new york, with the help of special tunnels that the trains can be diverted down while work occurs. These were built suring the era of cheap labour and would be nigh impossible to replicate now, especially when the subway is being used almost all day every day.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
I was going to ask about bus replacements. If London has bus replacements it's no problem. Most large cities have or should have night buses that run all night for revellers. To learn Tokyo does not have this just baffles me.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM

7,167 posts, read 6,010,671 times
The London underground system is the oldest in the world and because of it s age requires nightly maintenance, London has an extensive 'night bus' network for late night revellers in its place.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,452,416 times
Maybe people have houses and families to go to...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM

929 posts, read 1,696,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

While there are numerous bus routes that do run 24/7, ONLY 2 'L lines(out of the 7 subway lines CTA operates) run 24/7. Most do run till 1-2am, with the exception of one line that stops around 11pm each night(Yellow Line). With the exception of that 'L line to Skokie, all the other 'L lines that don't have overnight service do have bus routes that run near the 'L stations, on lines that don't have 24/7 service.

And yes, I agree that it'd be nice if more cities did have 24/7 subway service. Midnight does seem way too early for subways in a lot of cities to stop service, when many people would like to have an alternative to taking cabs late at night.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,125,661 times
It was very easy to get around the main areas of London after-hours because they have a very good Night Bus system- better than any Night bus system in the US.

I admit I was surprised that the Tube ended at 12:30am too, but had no problems once I was there dealing with those night buses.

I have taken that red line in Chicago at 3am and it was not very safe waiting for the train at that time of day even where I was- in Lakeview which is considered one of the better areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or