U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times

Advertisements

^ yes of course, geography is a very wide field. There's also physical geography, environmental, cultural, human, urban geography.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,589,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yep sure is, some people think geography is all about capital cities when it really isn't.
Its really nothing to do with that LOL.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM

874 posts, read 1,029,403 times
I could identify every country that existed at the time by the time I was three and a half, but then the breakup of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia happened and a bunch of Pacific Island countries were given their independence between then and the time I was 15, and I kept up with it, so I guess it depends on your qualifications of the question.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

94 posts, read 131,476 times
Could identify all countries and flags since about 18.

Taught myself through these:

Can you name the flags of the world? | Online Games & Trivia by Sporcle
Can you name the countries of the world? | Online Games & Trivia by Sporcle

Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM

2,872 posts, read 3,789,278 times
knowing the countries and their capitals is important, but it is more about general knowledge than really geography.
Geography can have many points of view; urban geography, demography, climates, vegetations, temperatures, politcal geography, administrative limits, economics, physical geography, mathematical geography, etc... As long as we have a spatial approach (related to the describing the land, seas, etc), many aspects of life can be integrated into a geographical thinking. As a urban planner, we share with geographers the "land thinking" with analysing the territories in many ways possible, human, natural, economic, architectural, etc.

Something that always intrigue me is how some people might know countries and capitals well, many of them have often difficulties to associated them into a mental map that fit well with how physical reality is. For exemple many people do not always realize where countries are situated relatively to each other.

I've noticed concerning my own country that many people tend to represent it further north than it really is. Many people assume for exemple that central France is somehow lined with central Germany; while it is with Switzerland/northern Italy. Also, Italy, for exemple is usually though by many people to be lined with Spain. As such people usually think central Italy (Lazio region, where Rome lies, for exemple) to be lined somewhere as far south as Madrid while it is almost at the level of French/Spanish border, further north than Barcelona in the northeasternmost part of Spain. Italian territory actually share more the same latitudes with France than with Spain. Concerning Italy, many people think the peninsula to have a north/south direction; while actually it is as much (if not more) and west-east axis than purely north/south. Which mean that southern Italy is actually eastern Italy, when in Naples you are actually as much east as the German/polish border...

Last edited by french user; 04-04-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,418,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
identify the country that is circled on this map without using outside sources

(its on the right)
I have no idea but I'm just going to guess Vanuatu???

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,686,995 times
I can identify close to 100% of the countries on a map and have been able to do this since I was about 10. Geography has always fascinated me and I used to spend hours studying my Atlas (a Christmas gift when I was 5), and making my own maps of imaginary places. I still sometimes draw maps when I'm bored.

As for capitals, maybe 75%. Not so good with flags.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,752,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I've noticed concerning my own country that many people tend to represent it further north than it really is. Many people assume for exemple that central France is somehow lined with central Germany; while it is with Switzerland/northern Italy. Also, Italy, for exemple is usually though by many people to be lined with Spain. As such people usually think central Italy (Lazio region, where Rome lies, for exemple) to be lined somewhere as far south as Madrid while it is almost at the level of French/Spanish border, further north than Barcelona in the northeasternmost part of Spain. Italian territory actually share more the same latitudes with France than with Spain. Concerning Italy, many people think the peninsula to have a north/south direction; while actually it is as much (if not more) and west-east axis than purely north/south. Which mean that southern Italy is actually eastern Italy, when in Naples you are actually as much east as the German/polish border...
once you associate Italy with the tower of Pisa it becomes much easier

seriously though, I could name every country in the world (including Africa but excluding some smaller Caribbean and Pacific islands) at 10 years old, but I had to brush up on the -stans and ex-Yugoslavia after they broke up. my love for geography comes from my parents who gave me a US/Canada road atlas when I was 5 years old. I was barely old enough to read but quickly got a sense of all the states, capitals and large cities, and extended that to the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or