U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 AM

8,630 posts, read 8,631,525 times

Advertisements

Have you moved away from the nation where you were born and raised because you did not like living there, even if it meant giving up wealth for poverty? For example, an American now living in Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
Suggestion: join an expat forum and spend a few years reading.

I see a lot of enthusiastic new residents giving up and moving back to the states after the honeymoon period is over. I've seen it in Britain, too. Lots of ex-pats moving back home after a few years.

Poverty is not as much fun or as romantic as it might appear to someone who has not yet experienced it. Foreign governments sometimes can be difficult with graft, corruption, and nationalization. Or, as often happens, government and laws get changed after the expat immigrates to the new country.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I see a lot of enthusiastic new residents giving up and moving back to the states after the honeymoon period is over. I've seen it in Britain, too. Lots of ex-pats moving back home after a few years.

Poverty is not as much fun or as romantic as it might appear to someone who has not yet experienced it. Foreign governments sometimes can be difficult with graft, corruption, and nationalization. Or, as often happens, government and laws get changed after the expat immigrates to the new country.

I was trying to see how many American people who criticize the US on CD forum have actually left the country for one more to their liking.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM

497 posts, read 847,421 times
Well, I haven't necessarily moved here, but I am currently studying abroad in Brazil and will be doing so for an extended period. After that is over, I will return to the US in order to graduate. My plan after that, however, is to hightail it back here to work.

Quote:

I've read a lot of forums and spoken to a lot of Americans who have said the exact same thing as you, but I really think it depends on your outlook and other things like that. I also think it depends on your age that you move. I'm only 20, and the majority of people who seem "bitter" about moving here (I can only truly speak for here, as it is one of the few countries where I've stayed long enough to actually 'know' the country) seem to have moved much later. I think that's important because after a certain age, you get kind of set in your ways.

20 is not that age.

I also have noticed a lot of bitter people moved here in hopes of striking it rich. Brazil's population is severely lacking in education, so mant outsiders think they can come and kind of own the market.

I can't talk about every bitter expat, but the ones I've met fundamentally cared little about the culture and ways of life, and just hoped to strike it rich.

I don't feel bad for them.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,648,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Well, I haven't necessarily moved here, but I am currently studying abroad in Brazil and will be doing so for an extended period. After that is over, I will return to the US in order to graduate. My plan after that, however, is to hightail it back here to work.
In fact, Brazil is a country with the best and the worst, with the extreme wealth and the extreme poverty. There is a large people living with the same standard of Australia and also a large people living in the same standard of Congo.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM

391 posts, read 523,300 times
Quote:

Yea, see that with Swedes too. Many Swedish people move to Thailand, the Philippines etc. but they usually come back within 5 or 6 years.

Personally I've lived all over the world and right now I'm working on an American Visa.
Hopefully I can turn that into a green card later, and maybe in the future, an American Passport.

On Topic:
I knew an American guy who lived in Czech Republic working for a czech salary (about $800/month).
He was happy with it but the question is not IF but WHEN that guy will move back.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM

I guess that while many people criticize the nation in which they were born and raised, very few of them actually "vote with their feet" and move to another nation.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM

442 posts, read 663,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I knew an American guy who lived in Czech Republic working for a czech salary
What, by choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or