U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I pick
Split 19 57.58%
Seattle 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,726,682 times

Advertisements

Clearly they're not in the same population range but so what? That's not a point to detract someone from choosing one over the other either which way. Split is more dense and urban as well as more walkable, I'm nearly positive it probably (at street level) feels just as large if not larger and more vibrant than Seattle.

Seattle however is a very nice city as well.

Let's compare these cities on:
- Dining
- Climate
- Outdoor activity
- Quality of life
- Sites to see for tourism
- Culture
- Museums
- Public transportation

Whatever else you can come up with, feel free to compare them on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,199,552 times
There's no way you could meaningfully compare the two. I find Split more interesting, though.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,726,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There's no way you could meaningfully compare the two. I find Split more interesting, though.
From a tourists perspective you could.

Say someone from Kuala Lumpur has an interest in these two specific cities, what he'll get from both is splendor of natural scenery, a coastline, American culture versus Croatian culture, seafood and Asian food versus Croatian dishes, the history and cultural institution in both, the different music scenes.

I think it's viable, only because the comparison is nothing like "which is more important" or something but a genuine travel interest. In which, I suppose any two handsomely packed cities could compare.

I was in Seattle last weekend for the first time, it was cool but I was expecting more because I've hyped up my supposed first visit to the place since I was 7. Ehh. I'm inclined to agree, Split looks both more stunning and interesting.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,199,552 times
Well as tourist destinations, they're very different. Split seems more a tourist show-piece in itself, although it's a fully-functioning city, whereas Seattle itself just seems like another city, important but not a tourist destination in itself, but more for it's surrounding scenery, like the Olympic peninsula, Mt. Rainier, Puget sound. It does have a few attractions like the Space Needle, Pike Place Market. Since I'm a fan of historic architecture, I'd much rather see Split than Seattle before I die.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,738,102 times
Seattle probably Americas most interesting city to me, but you've picked one of my favourite cities - Split!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,034,281 times
Dining: Seattle. Split has some good restaurants, though Croatian food often isn't best found dining out(decent street food though) Seattle has a larger range of types of food including excellent Asian food. The best thing to do in Croatia is to stick to seafood--though the food in Split is better than some of the islands. There's a lot of mediocre to decent Italian food in Croatia.

Climate: Split--it's on the Adriatic obviously. Nice Mediterranean climate.

Outdoor activity: Depends what you're looking for. Split is a gateway to the Dalmatian islands. Seattle is a gateway to the Cascades. Both are nice, but it depends if you're a beach and snorkel type or a ski and hiking type.

Quality of life: Probably Seattle. Croatia is a country that's done well in progressing past it's communist-era past, but it's still a step below most of Western Europe. Split probably has a decent standard of living however driving past the outer areas it's full of sort of dour-looking apartment complexes. Seattle has a nice range of neighborhoods.

Sites to see for tourism: The center of Split is built around an ancient Roman palace--that and in itself is pretty cool. The main city center is small and packed with interesting historic sites including converted Roman temples, old churches, medieval alley ways. Seattle is basically similar to other US cities on a different scale--there's plenty to do in the main downtown core for a day or two for a tourist. Split is more interesting for a foreign tourist however.

Culture: Seattle has a larger range of culture. How much you like Split's culture depends on how much you enjoy Croatian culture--there's some interesting local art, there's music in some bars, but you'd have to spend more time to really get a sense of how the local scene is.

Museums: Split has some good small ones--a great art museum, but Seattle has much larger museums as far as size.

Public transportation: I don't know as everything a tourist will want to see in Split is right near the small central core--it's not a massive city where you need to take a subway or buses across town. Both cities have very nice ferry connections to the outlying region however.

All in all, I'm not going to pick one over the other, because in honesty I can't see anyone having to ever make a choice between going to Seattle or going to Split. Split is a nice place to stop in Croatia--it's a good place to have a more urban city experience if you're going from to or from the islands. I enjoyed staying there, the Roman ruins were interesting and the central core is great to just stroll around eating gelato or shopping. But it is a fairly small seaside city--it's not a place I'd spend more than a few days in most likely as there's so much to see in the rest of the region. And as beautiful as Split is--Dubrovnik is arguably prettier--which isn't a knock on Split, it's just that Dubrovnik is overwhelming in how scenic it is. Though Split has a more interesting and less touristy mix in it's oldest area. If anything I'd compare Split to going to small Italian coastal town--which is what Dalmatia feels like--it's Italy populated by Slavs. Seattle on the other hand is simply an American city with a great location--I go there every month so I don't really look at it as a real vacation location for myself.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,738,102 times
I could easily spend the rest of my life in Split. I'm going back this year to watch Croatia v Scotland.

Good weather
Great supported football team
Beautiful architecture
Nice museums
Lovely festivals
Near great towns and islands

Everything I want.

Seattle is probably in my top 3 American cities.

Last edited by paull805; 02-17-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,865,322 times
Seattle for transportation HANDS DOWN

Old 02-17-2013, 03:52 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,005,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Seattle for transportation HANDS DOWN
Yea and Split for everything else

Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,034,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Split is more dense and urban as well as more walkable, I'm nearly positive it probably (at street level) feels just as large if not larger and more vibrant than Seattle.
No, not really so much... Outside of a small central area, Split is a fairly small and quiet city...

Last edited by Deezus; 02-17-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or