U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I pick
Hong Kong 6 46.15%
Madrid 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times

Advertisements

I consider them both to be amongst the world's most elite cities (for a visitor experience) and I cant speak for everyone and only myself but I consider Madrid the best city in Spain. I haven't ever been there though but it's real high up on my priority list for travels.

I have been to Hong Kong and while these two cities are probably absolute polar opposites in every single conceivable way, I think they are worthy of each other for comparison. Now Hong Kong is the more powerful city but no one visits a city because it's more important so that's a non-factor here.

Their populations are similar, albeit Hong Kong is far more compact but they stand at Madrid metropolis of 7.2 million to Hong Kong's 7.1 million.

Either way, enough of the background. Which of these two areas appeal to you more? Which one are you more likely to visit first (or care for visiting)? Which one could you see yourself live in? What about either of these appeal to you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Had no idea Madrid had 7.1 million in it's metro, I thought it was more like 5 million. HK feels more like a mega-city, for sure, since it basically joins up with Shenzhen, Zhuhai and the rest of the Pearl river delta.

Madrid wins for architecture, and food (my tastes, no pun intended!), but HK is more spectacular. They're just so different to compare.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 AM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Had no idea Madrid had 7.1 million in it's metro, I thought it was more like 5 million. HK feels more like a mega-city, for sure, since it basically joins up with Shenzhen, Zhuhai and the rest of the Pearl river delta.

Madrid wins for architecture, and food (my tastes, no pun intended!), but HK is more spectacular. They're just so different to compare.
HK is more spectacular in the same way that Chicago is more spectacular than Paris or London. Amazing skyline but on street level... well not much to look at (though in fairness to Chicago, it's actually much better than HK in that regard). In HK I was quite surprised that, despite such a tremendous density of modern skyscrapers, outside of the CBD, most buildings look very run down. Madrid OTOH has beautiful, elegant architecture throughout its large city center.

HK also seemed quite small area-wise. Madrid is larger, more neighborhoody, more culture, nightlife, and feels more sophisticated to me.

I prefer Madrid, but this is really so apples to oranges. I can easily see someone preferring HK for the international vibe, the skyscrapers and views, hustle and bustle (though Madrid is plenty bustling as well), and easy access to nature. Two great cities, but very different.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 02-17-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
HK is more spectacular in the same way that Chicago is more spectacular than Paris or London. Amazing skyline but on street level... well not much to look at (though in fairness to Chicago, it's actually much better than HK in that regard). In HK I was quite surprised that, despite such a tremendous density of modern skyscrapers, outside of the CBD, most buildings look very run down. Madrid OTOH has beautiful, elegant architecture throughout its large city center.

HK also seemed quite small area-wise. Madrid is larger, more neighborhoody, more culture, nightlife, and feels more sophisticated to me.

I prefer Madrid, but this is really so apples to oranges. I can easily see someone preferring HK for the international vibe, the skyscrapers and views, hustle and bustle (though Madrid is plenty bustling as well), and easy access to nature. Two great cities, but very different.
Hong Kong isn't laid out like most cities. If you mostly stayed on Hong Kong island i can see why you felt it was small, because the island is indeed small and most of it isn't developed built on because it's so hilly. Most of HK's 'metro' kind of sprawls into the New Territories, in low-lying ground, somewhat separate from the skyline part. I did get the feeling that HK has a lot of ugly and run-down buildings, and it's residential architecture is probably uglier than Madrid (unless you're a huge fan of concrete flats).

Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hong Kong isn't laid out like most cities. If you mostly stayed on Hong Kong island i can see why you felt it was small, because the island is indeed small and most of it isn't developed built on because it's so hilly. Most of HK's 'metro' kind of sprawls into the New Territories, in low-lying ground, somewhat separate from the skyline part. I did get the feeling that HK has a lot of ugly and run-down buildings, and it's residential architecture is probably uglier than Madrid (unless you're a huge fan of concrete flats).
We actually stayed in Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui) and also traveled down to Stanley Bay so I am quite familiar with HK's geography. (The Stanley Market area was lovely btw... The combination of such intense urbanity and beautiful nature in such a close proximity is one of the most unique and appealing aspects of HK for me. It's like having a slice of Southern France 15 minute cab ride from Manhattan. Sick.) But back to size... I guess I was referring more to the size of the area that is of interest/relevance to the visitor, not total urban area. Though Madrid's total urban area is much larger as well. You can literally drive for 30+ miles in any direction and see nothing but apartment blocks, suburban subdivisions and shopping malls. But it's in the city center that Madrid really shines. So many great neighborhoods to explore, museums, parks, historical landmarks. In HK I didn't get the sense there is much to do beyond eating and shopping (and going to the beach!)

Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
We actually stayed in Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui) and also traveled down to Stanley Bay so I am quite familiar with HK's geography. (The Stanley Market area was lovely btw... The combination of such intense urbanity and beautiful nature in such a close proximity is one of the most unique and appealing aspects of HK for me. It's like having a slice of Southern France 15 minute cab ride from Manhattan. Sick.) But back to size... I guess I was referring more to the size of the area that is of interest/relevance to the visitor, not total urban area. Though Madrid's total urban area is much larger as well. You can literally drive for 30+ miles in any direction and see nothing but apartment blocks, suburban subdivisions and shopping malls. But it's in the city center that Madrid really shines. So many great neighborhoods to explore, museums, parks, historical landmarks. In HK I didn't get the sense there is much to do beyond eating and shopping (and going to the beach!)
The cities developed very differently. Madrid was planned as one of the grand European capitals, so has a lot of grand architecture, beautiful parks, boulevards etc. Hong Kong grew up largely after being a British Crown possession as a slap-dash commercial port without much consideration of aesthetics or liveability. The population rapidly expanded, and it before you know it it was full of crowded tenements. It's just totally different to Madrid. Also being a young city it lacks historical buildings. You'd probably like Shanghai, or at least nearby Hangzhou and Suzhou, they have more interesting historic neighbourhoods to explore imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or