U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM

482 posts, read 616,824 times

Advertisements

IDK....Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
No place "should be" a megalopolis. The world would be a much better place if there were no such thing.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,453,512 times
What about Nagoya?

Though some estimates put its urban area population north of 10m, most sources put it around 8-9m, just short of megacity status. Nevertheless, it is the center of Japanese automotive industry, has one of the highest urban GDPs in the world, and boasts a mean rail network (as do most Japanese cities) -- 1.095 billion passengers annually across 45 rail lines. Wiki reports that it has "a similar density and extent of passenger rail to London or NYC".

If Kansai is one of the most under-the-radar megacities in the world, then Nagoya might just be the most under-the-radar 8m city in the world (or at least the developed world).

Has anyone been?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,719,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
What about Nagoya?
Yeahh I thought about this one too but like you said it's urban area is just a cut above 10 million.

It's the world's 11th largest economy, Osaka is the 4th largest in the world, yet both places go far under the radar and they do by all means have world class attributes to offer.

I've never been to either though, so to avoid sounding like an idiot and talking about a place I've never been I will leave it to someone else. However everything I've looked up definitely points to Nagoya being one of the best underrated cities in the world.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Yeahh I thought about this one too but like you said it's urban area is just a cut above 10 million.

It's the world's 11th largest economy, Osaka is the 4th largest in the world, yet both places go far under the radar and they do by all means have world class attributes to offer.

I've never been to either though, so to avoid sounding like an idiot and talking about a place I've never been I will leave it to someone else. However everything I've looked up definitely points to Nagoya being one of the best underrated cities in the world.
Osaka is incredible. Walking through the massive underground shopping/entertainment/transportation hubs of Namba and Umeda or the entertainment districts of Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi, your mind is boggled by the fact that it is Japan's second city. Really, other than high global profile, I am hard pressed to think of any attribute on which it falls short of world class status. Shopping, nightlife, food, crowds of people like you would rarely see even in NY, mind blowing infrastructure. And whatever Osaka and Kobe lack in historic charm is more than made up in Kyoto and Nara.

Kansai is definitely, no questions asked, one of the premier urban areas in the world. If Nagoya has even half the quality then it should be in the conversation.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Osaka is incredible. Walking through the massive underground shopping/entertainment/transportation hubs of Namba and Umeda or the entertainment districts of Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi, your mind is boggled by the fact that it is Japan's second city. Really, other than high global profile, I am hard pressed to think of any attribute on which it falls short of world class status. Shopping, nightlife, food, crowds of people like you would rarely see even in NY, mind blowing infrastructure. And whatever Osaka and Kobe lack in historic charm is more than made up in Kyoto and Nara.

Kansai is definitely, no questions asked, one of the premier urban areas in the world. If Nagoya has even half the quality then it should be in the conversation.
Just as I imagined it.

When I think of Osaka I think of a city that has stellar integration especially with it's infrastructure. I've been looking up on Osaka since I was a young kid (I'm heavily influence by Japanese culture) and everything I've seen of it makes me think that it crushes every single American city on the roads, transit, buses, and especially maglev which to me is a HUGE breakthrough.

The structural environment is amazing too and the street life looks mind blowing especially because instead of just one area, it's all over. It's something I wish we had more of here but our culture for the last 60 years has been more of a commuter based on, work, then flee to our fortresses and drive to where we need to go. Thankfully that's changing but I have a hard time seeing our American cities stacking up to the urban environments of the Japanese or South Korean cities. What's even more stellar about is that both countries were able to largely build these advanced cities in a 40-70 year time frame after the Korean War and World War II.

By the way, I had a question. When I was last in London like some 7 years ago, I heard of this area they called Fitzrovia, is that where you're from? The United Kingdom?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Just as I imagined it.

When I think of Osaka I think of a city that has stellar integration especially with it's infrastructure. I've been looking up on Osaka since I was a young kid (I'm heavily influence by Japanese culture) and everything I've seen of it makes me think that it crushes every single American city on the roads, transit, buses, and especially maglev which to me is a HUGE breakthrough.

The structural environment is amazing too and the street life looks mind blowing especially because instead of just one area, it's all over. It's something I wish we had more of here but our culture for the last 60 years has been more of a commuter based on, work, then flee to our fortresses and drive to where we need to go. Thankfully that's changing but I have a hard time seeing our American cities stacking up to the urban environments of the Japanese or South Korean cities. What's even more stellar about is that both countries were able to largely build these advanced cities in a 40-70 year time frame after the Korean War and World War II.

By the way, I had a question. When I was last in London like some 7 years ago, I heard of this area they called Fitzrovia, is that where you're from? The United Kingdom?
Yes, it is just like that, and integration is a good word. The quality and density of infrastructure is beyond anything that can be experienced in North America (even in NYC) and the seamless and intelligent way in which it is integrated into the urban fabric -- with department stores, office buildings and the never ending underground shopping complexes -- is just amazing. It is an urban geek's wet dream

I am not a Brit but I lived in Fitzrovia for most of 2011. It is a lovely area, 5 minute walk from Soho, but still retaining the atmosphere of a classic London neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM

20,149 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Osaka/Kansai is my favorite area of Japan and the infrastructure for the entire region is fantastic. My experience with Nagoya has only been passing through and a friend's wife who is from there and my impression is that the infrastructure there is quite good though an obvious step down from that of Osaka. It's the capital of the Japanese automotive industry so it is supposed to be more autocentric than other Japanese cities, but it's still in Japan so the rail system is still very good, the trains and buses are punctual and clean, and biking and walking as a means of transit is common. I will say though Osaka has mostly bland architecture as most cities in East Asia have after the devastation of the world war. I recently came across this thread with shots like the below of what was Osaka's golden age as the industrial and commercial capital of a rapidly modernizing Japan.

I find the pictures with a blend of traditional Japanese vernacular architecture with beaux arts, art deco, international, and syncretic mixes placed throughout along with an aesthetically pleasant waterfront to be pretty alright.

Though it's obviously not a contender for this thread, the North American city that's impressed me most with its infrastructure is Montreal (despite the potholes). The underground city is a massive and intelligent response to the physical environment blends seamlessly into the rest of the urban fabric of downtown, the mass transit system is wonderful, and the city has a great mix of architecture and neighborhoods of many styles and eras. All this for a metro of about 4 million is pretty impressive.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 AM

Time to picture this up. I'll start with the city I was born in (Singapore), the city I grew up in (Chicago), the city I've spent a good deal of time in (Toronto), and the city I've only been to once but know it was one of the greatest experiences ever (Hong Kong).

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Singapore

Rocked out Singapore

Singapore

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

World's most expensive and fastest car model, Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago tranced out

Tranced out Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

The Bean, Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Toronto

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

That everyone is, the end.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,733,648 times
They are amazing pictures valentro, really good. I especially like the one of Chicago with the icy river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or