Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post

If you use number of restaurants as a barometer of the popularity of different ethnic foods than the list is:

1. Chinese
2. Italian
3. Thai
4. Indian
5. Japanese

I guess small sushi joints and the like wouldn't be represented so it's not exactly a definitive list. Nonetheless it's interesting that Thai food seems considerably more popular in Sydney than in other cities, in fact it is the only Australian city where Chinese restaurants didn't top the list.
Wow more Thai than Chinese in Sydney? Hard to believe.

So much more Italian restaurants in Brissie than Perth? Again, hard to believe, as we are more Italian per percentage and some areas seem nothing BUT Italian restaurants. I wonder how old this is because there are probably a lot more Japanese restaurants now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wow more Thai than Chinese in Sydney? Hard to believe.

So much more Italian restaurants in Brissie than Perth? Again, hard to believe, as we are more Italian per percentage and some areas seem nothing BUT Italian restaurants. I wonder how old this is because there are probably a lot more Japanese restaurants now.
The numbers for Perth Look Totally wrong.

Unrbanspoon would possibly you best source of information i think, it does list nearly as many Thai (665) places in Sydney as it does Chinese (688), which i do find surprising.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The numbers for Perth Look Totally wrong, there is not twice as many restaurants in Brisbane than in Perth I am sure.

Unrbanspoon would possibly you best source of information i think, it does list nearly as many Thai (665) places in Sydney as it does Chinese (688), which i do find surprising.
Given the populations of the two cities, 1.8 million in Perth and 2.1 million in Brisbane, I too find it hard to believe there's twice as many restaurants in Brisbane as Perth.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,631 times
^^This is the source I got it from:
What is The Most Popular Restaurant Cuisine? - Everywhere

The info was apparently sourced from the Australian Restaurants Directory last year, only a blog entry though so hardly scientific. It would be surprising if even Greater Brisbane had double the restaurants of Perth but I guess it gives a general indicator of different cuisine preferences between the cities.

Perhaps Perth people are more into food court type setups in which case there would be less restaurants listed, or maybe reason there is just an undercount??

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,138 times
In Belgium:

1. Italian
2. Chinese
3. Turkish

Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Wow, never imagined that Mexican would be significant in Australia. Learn something new everyday!
Dishes like nachos and tacos are actually quite popular home cooked dishes in Australia nowadays despite the lack of a significant Latin American diaspora. Still not a massive amount of restaurants (~3%), but higher than one might expect.

Japanese cuisine is in a similar situation here, there are few Japanese people here relative to the popularity of the cuisine.

In regards to the Australian restaurants there are also a heap of 'Modern Australian' restaurants around which serve a variety of dishes from various influences (British, Italian, Chinese, Malaysian etc.).

Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
^^This is the source I got it from:
What is The Most Popular Restaurant Cuisine? - Everywhere

The info was apparently sourced from the Australian Restaurants Directory last year, only a blog entry though so hardly scientific. It would be surprising if even Greater Brisbane had double the restaurants of Perth but I guess it gives a general indicator of different cuisine preferences between the cities.

Perhaps Perth people are more into food court type setups in which case there would be less restaurants listed, or maybe reason there is just an undercount??
Yes it'd take it with a pinch of salt.

I think shopping centres and food-courts are prominent in both cities. Perth definitely has a fairly vibrant restaurant scene. When I went to Brisbane I didn't feel it was significantly bigger, like Sydney or Melbourne. Brisbane also seemed a bit less ethnic than Perth.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Dishes like nachos and tacos are actually quite popular home cooked dishes in Australia nowadays despite the lack of a significant Latin American diaspora. Still not a massive amount of restaurants (~3%), but higher than one might expect.

Japanese cuisine is in a similar situation here, there are few Japanese people here relative to the popularity of the cuisine.

In regards to the Australian restaurants there are also a heap of 'Modern Australian' restaurants around which serve a variety of dishes from various influences (British, Italian, Chinese, Malaysian etc.).
That's true, like those Old El Paso or Mission Bell taco kits. Most of the Mexican restaurants I've been to have been lacklustre and overpriced, definitely nothing compared to what you get in the US or Mexico. I definitely would like to see more, especially at the lower end of the range. Perhaps food-carts or something too?

Fusion cuisine is coming up but it's still seen as sort of exclusive. There are lots of Japanese tourists/students/those on working holidays, but not a large immigrant population.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, like those Old El Paso or Mission Bell taco kits. Most of the Mexican restaurants I've been to have been lacklustre and overpriced, definitely nothing compared to what you get in the US or Mexico. I definitely would like to see more, especially at the lower end of the range. Perhaps food-carts or something too?

Fusion cuisine is coming up but it's still seen as sort of exclusive. There are lots of Japanese tourists/students/those on working holidays, but not a large immigrant population.
Yep agree with all that, there's an El Salvadorean market stall I occasionally go to on weekends but it's not that great, I prefer my own style of nachos lol.

In regards to actual fusion cuisine it's still quite niche, when I refer to 'Modern Australian' restaurants I'm referring more to restaurants that are not really fusion as such but offer a wide range of different cuisines that largely stick to the original cuisine/recipe. Seems to be a lot of generic restaurants that offer pasta alongside nasi goreng and fish and chips nowadays.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Yep agree with all that, there's an El Salvadorean market stall I occasionally go to on weekends but it's not that great, I prefer my own style of nachos lol.

In regards to actual fusion cuisine it's still quite niche, when I refer to 'Modern Australian' restaurants I'm referring more to restaurants that are not really fusion as such but offer a wide range of different cuisines that largely stick to the original cuisine/recipe. Seems to be a lot of generic restaurants that offer pasta alongside nasi goreng and fish and chips nowadays.
There's one in Bridgetown that was actually pretty good, actually. The chef cooked pretty Asian, as well.

Where is this El Salvadorean stall? The Freo markets have some cool stalls, there's one that sells paella. Found it a bit bland though.

I tend to avoid mixed Western/Asian places. Not sure if it's still the case but many Chinese restaurants used to have a Western section. I once had fish'n'chips at a Chinese restaurant it was pretty good actually! I mean they do sweet'n'sour fish and the batter is nice so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World