U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,409,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There's one in Bridgetown that was actually pretty good, actually. The chef cooked pretty Asian, as well.

Where is this El Salvadorean stall? The Freo markets have some cool stalls, there's one that sells paella. Found it a bit bland though.

I tend to avoid mixed Western/Asian places. Not sure if it's still the case but many Chinese restaurants used to have a Western section. I once had fish'n'chips at a Chinese restaurant it was pretty good actually! I mean they do sweet'n'sour fish and the batter is nice so why not?
The El Salvadorean place I go to is at Subiaco Station St. Markets.

I live in the western suburbs and the places with mixed cuisine often have Italian names eg. Tiamo, Giardini's and still have many Italian dishes but with some Asian dishes which seem to be influenced by the fact that most of their cooks are from Asia. Even the supposedly Japanese place down the road from me has a menu that is at least half Thai haha. Usually the food at these places isn't crash hot but the Thai/Japanese place (Wok and Roll) is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,735,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
The El Salvadorean place I go to is at Subiaco Station St. Markets.

I live in the western suburbs and the places with mixed cuisine often have Italian names eg. Tiamo, Giardini's and still have many Italian dishes but with some Asian dishes which seem to be influenced by the fact that most of their cooks are from Asia. Even the supposedly Japanese place down the road from me has a menu that is at least half Thai haha. Usually the food at these places isn't crash hot but the Thai/Japanese place (Wok and Roll) is pretty good.
Weird. I haven't seen any Italian-fusion places or Italian restaurants that serve Asian food, well except one in South Perth on Albany Highway. There is one sort of fusion place called Pepper Lunch, on Barrack St, which came from Japan I believe, which is interesting. Their meals are pretty healthy.

Places that just serve different Asian cuisines are fairly common though. There's one called Tao which seems really popular, despite the high prices.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Weird. I haven't seen any Italian-fusion places or Italian restaurants that serve Asian food, well except one in South Perth on Albany Highway. There is one sort of fusion place called Pepper Lunch, on Barrack St, which came from Japan I believe, which is interesting. Their meals are pretty healthy.

Places that just serve different Asian cuisines are fairly common though. There's one called Tao which seems really popular, despite the high prices.
I guess generic, multi-cuisine restaurants are pretty common here as we don't really have any food courts/shopping centres in close proximity, if I want relatively authentic cuisine I go to either Malaysian Hawker at Floreat Food Court or better still Spencer Rd Village in Thornlie.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM

4,266 posts, read 3,634,420 times
In the St. Louis area, it seems to be Thai food, Mexican (or Tex/Mex), and Italian. Loves me some Thai food!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM

2,877 posts, read 3,863,093 times
if we judge by number of places, but not always best quality

- American (subway, McDonald's, starbucks, etc.)
- Japanese (usually they are Chinese poeple that make suchis!)
- Chinese

Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,735,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I guess generic, multi-cuisine restaurants are pretty common here as we don't really have any food courts/shopping centres in close proximity, if I want relatively authentic cuisine I go to either Malaysian Hawker at Floreat Food Court or better still Spencer Rd Village in Thornlie.
If you're ever in Garden City check out Shiki Inn. For being in a shopping centre it actually serves some of the best Malaysian I've had here! I had their Hainanese Chicken Rice the other day. Their chicken curry, laksa.etc is actually among the best I've had! Reasonably priced too.

There's a complex in Willetton with a few really good places and yes, of course the well known Spencer Village. I was just there the other day, although I might go there a couple of times a year. The food isn't fantastic actually, but it has an authentic food court feel.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM

^^Thanks, I'll try that place next time I'm there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM

7,312 posts, read 6,173,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
british = fish and chips

italian = pasta

indian = curry
Hey bob, Im wondering if in the UK Chinese food has overtaken fish & chips?? My guess would be

1. Indian
2. Chinese
3. Italian / fish chips

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,843,404 times
Chinese Chinese and more Chinese. And of course curry also.

* no Italian though.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,843,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
It is like the owners think we all have no clue.
The truth is we don't.. if I was to goto a Chinese and they said I was getting Japanese food I would never know if I wasn't because i've never seen Japanese food before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or