U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,098,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah View Post
I consider tampa a pretty international city but does tampa have much a of a presence overseas though? or is it just known as the city with busch gardens?
I'm a Canadian who considers himself pretty worldly, and literally all I know about Tampa is that it is a city of significant size somewhere in Western Florida. I haven't heard of Busch Gadens either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,692,832 times
Busch Gardens, isn't that a zoo?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM

391 posts, read 764,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah View Post
I consider tampa a pretty international city but does tampa have much a of a presence overseas though? or is it just known as the city with busch gardens?
I think you found your answer: no. As for Busch Gardens, well I stayed in Treasure Island several times and never ventured to this amusement park. Seems it's similar to Great Flags? We used Tampa/St. Petersburg as a stop because we had friends who owned a motel there, but then we went to Orlando...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
The panhandle of Florida, then the Tampa Bay area in particular nowadays, is a major military zone, the bay area providing a huge natural harbor against hurricanes (hasn't been hit directly in historical memory). The main theater is the Caribbean region (e.g. Venezuela), but it is also US headquarters (or was, but I believe it still is) to US military operations in the so-called Middle East, i.e. where one of the cheapest supplies of oil still is.

I live in Florida and I never heard of Busch Gardens either.

It has an "international" airport, but that probably means that it has direct flights connecting it to Canada, perhaps UK, some Caribbean Islands, perhaps even Mexico, but I doubt there are any intercontinental flights (other than possibly UK) like Orlando which beats the pants off it in that respect because of Disney.

Nonetheless, Tampa has three major domestic professional sports teams (NFL, NBA, NHL), though all relatively new.

In very general terms, usually US retirees from the mid-west seek out western Florida, as well as, it seems, a preponderance of Canadians and Brits, while those from the northeast seek out eastern Florida. Again, generally speaking it seems.

It appears that Tampa has only two foreign consulates, Panama and Norway, probably shipping interests in both cases, while I believe that Greece has a consulate in Tarpon Springs, instead of Miami, because of a large Greek-American population there. In contrast, Miami/Coral Gables has scores of foreign consulates and bi-national chambers of commerce.

Last edited by bale002; 02-23-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,584,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yep honestly, I googled Busch gardens fully expecting to be directed to a site about some lovely botanical garden or a national park.

At least i know what it is now, City Data can be very helpfull at finding things like this out some times
I only heard about it because it was advertised and I seen signs for it.

I think its a theme park.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
No, it certainly doesn't. Not even a little.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 PM

109 posts, read 102,476 times
As living in the neighboring city of orlando i visit tampa often. Busch gardens is a theme park, similar to universal in orlando; busch gardens is owned by sea world. Tampa itself is not an international city eventhough its the second largest metro in florida. The downtown is very dead and not vibrant like miami and orlando, but they do have a large cuban presence... hope that clears some things up!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM

92 posts, read 160,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
... the bay area providing a huge natural harbor against hurricanes (hasn't been hit directly in historical memory) ...
Never been to Tampa but as far as I can remember weren't there several (whole) city evacuations due to hurricanes?

Miami is probably more known than Tampa in the world. Ever heard of Miami Vice?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM

109 posts, read 102,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor21 View Post
Never been to Tampa but as far as I can remember weren't there several (whole) city evacuations due to hurricanes?

Miami is probably more known than Tampa in the world. Ever heard of Miami Vice?
Talk about irony, the last evacuation was on Friday August 13,2004 due to Hurricane Charley. Charley was predicted to hit tampa head on, so they told citizens to head inland closer to orlando. A few hours before landfall it strengthened quickly and turned early and passed right over orlando!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,754,589 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World