U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

This topic is also about places in the World with most Chain stores/Least Independent Stores/Businesses.

Another category to include is a Mixed Category: Having a high percentage of Successful Independent Stores Businesses and Chain Stores at the same time.

I usually prefer mostly Independent Stores Businesses and a Lack of Chain Stores. However, there is some exceptions for very few chain stores where I don’t mind. There has to be an even mix of both versions of stores, or a significantly higher percentage of Independent being more ubiquitous than chain stores.

I see it as very good, beneficial, valuable, impressive and bringing in more exciting vibrancy in Successful Urban Planning and Cities/Towns to have a lot of Independent Stores and to at least slightly decrease the amount of chain stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Here is some cities that I view to qualify in each of those 3 categories:

Category 1: Best, Most Friendly, Popular Places in the World for Independent Stores/Business/Lack of Chain Stores:

Stockholm
Copenhagen
Amsterdam
Vienna
Prague
Lyon
Nice
Buenos Aires
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Bangkok
Taipei

Category 2: Most Chain stores, Least Independent Stores/Businesses:

Dubai
Dallas
Phoenix
Atlanta
Indianapolis
Plenty of Suburbs in a lot of Countries. Too many Specific Suburbs to name.
Dublin
Edmonton

Category 3: Mixed Category: Having a high percentage of Successful Independent Stores Businesses and Chain Stores at the same time:

Paris
London
Chicago
New York City
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
Singapore
Melbourne

Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM

22,863 posts, read 64,900,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Here is some cities that I view to qualify in each of those 3 categories:

Category 1: Best, Most Friendly, Popular Places in the World for Independent Stores/Business/Lack of Chain Stores:
Stockholm
Really?
Stockholm has nothing but chain stores.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Really?
Stockholm has nothing but chain stores.
Wow, that would be surprising if that is the situation for Stockholm. Are you saying that even for the Stureplan neighborhood? Most people outside of Scandinavia, including me, assume that cities there have a lot of Independent Stores and a Relative lack of Chain Stores.

You know how some people have idealized, perfect, utopian views of Sweden and other Scandinavian countries.

Plenty of people that I know, including friends and family, that visited and experienced Sweden usually say there is a large variety of Independent Stores Businesses over there.

I just checked Stockholm out on Google maps related to this topic and it appears there is both plenty of Independent Stores and Chain Stores simultaneously, so maybe it qualifies for Category 3.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM

It depends, I guess.
But you got to stay out of midtown.
People who think that Sweden is expensive should stay out of Stureplan, with or without chain stores.
I think it is better to check out the areas Södermalm and Vasastan, specially off the major streets where you can find the really cool stores.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It depends, I guess.
But you got to stay out of midtown.
People who think that Sweden is expensive should stay out of Stureplan, with or without chain stores.
I think it is better to check out the areas Södermalm and Vasastan, specially off the major streets where you can find the really cool stores.
Well, I wouldn’t stay out of Stureplan. That is one of the best neighborhoods in Stockholm for architecture, urban entertainment, people scene, stores, and nightlife. I like spending a lot of money sometimes for the best, worthwhile activities, even if expensive. However, I also enjoy spending money on a lot of affordable cheap products to go with that.

I wonder what the situation is for other Swedish cities, including for this topic, such as for Gothenburg and Malmo, and for other Scandinavian cities: Oslo, Bergen, Reykjavik, and Copenhagen.

Those neighborhood recommendations you said also seem to be impressive good neighborhoods for Sodermalm and Vasastan. I just saw some of that on google maps and Vasastan looks very wealthy, peaceful, clean, nice architecture, and some cool stores.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 02-25-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Mexico. Most US chains are poorly represented or absent in Mexico. Also, India, where I think there is almost a complete absence of foreign chains, and even very few imported cars.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Some people might be surprised that some American cities and areas of USA such as Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco are very successful, friendly, popular places for all kinds of Independent Stores Businesses.

Some neighborhoods in these 3 cities from what I remember even have urban planning, sociological, economic laws that promotes this kind of successful activity for Independent stores and passionately discouraging chain stores. Plenty of people that live in those cities support and encourage this.

That is so ironic since USA is to blame for some of those chain stores originating and a lot of USA does continue having too much chain stores.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Well, I wouldn’t stay out of Stureplan. That is one of the best neighborhoods in Stockholm for architecture, urban entertainment, people scene, stores, and nightlife. I like spending a lot of money sometimes for the best, worthwhile activities, even if expensive. However, I also enjoy spending money on a lot of affordable cheap products to go with that.

I wonder what the situation is for other Swedish cities, including for this topic, such as for Gothenburg and Malmo, and for other Scandinavian cities: Oslo, Bergen, Reykjavik, and Copenhagen.

Those neighborhood recommendations you said also seem to be impressive good neighborhoods for Sodermalm and Vasastan. I just saw some of that on google maps and Vasastan looks very wealthy, peaceful, clean, nice architecture, and some cool stores.
If you can afford Stureplan, you should be there.
They have a great book store in Sturegallerian, btw.
The great thing about Vasastan is that it is absolutely quiet just one or two blocks away from the major streets. Specially the western part almost has a small town feel.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mexico. Most US chains are poorly represented or absent in Mexico. Also, India, where I think there is almost a complete absence of foreign chains, and even very few imported cars.
Really? My Mexican friends are always talking on Facebook about how they want Burger King, how delicious their delivery pizza from Domino's was, how they spent the day shopping at a mall in Villahermosa or Merida and topped it off with a luxury dinner at Applebee's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or