Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 AM

6,840 posts, read 10,887,003 times

Advertisements

This is probably the most important thread I'll ever make so please take it seriously. I don't want to get into specifics right now but I want to know what cuisines are integrated with yogurt or any spin off substances of it (beverages, dessert, meals, so on).

Please list them and explain how common it is or not to find in those countries! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
Yogurt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Indian sub-continent, Middle East, Turkey, Balkans/Greece.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM

6,840 posts, read 10,887,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

These will be the cuisines I will avoid like a plague in life. I looked up Greece, seems they integrate it into soooo many types of foods and same in Lebanon and Syria. To the point where it's hard to avoid it.

Yogurt is my mortal nemesis, my number one enemy, my biggest weakness, the thing I hate more passionately than anything else in life and have since I was 3 years of age.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Agree with Trimac

Turkish and Greek cuisine do use it a lot, but their cuisines are so much more varied than that (especially Turkish cuisine). They're far from the main stays in the cuisine and if you don't like yogurt, it's not hard to avoid it, but their yogurt can be really good. My friends here look at me weirdly when I drink Ayran though. I will admit that's a big time acquired taste if you aren't used to such sour non candy foods. Anthony Bourdain hates yogurt too by the way:

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,835,455 times
Africa also has many countries where yogurt is important. Of course, India and the Middle East have lots of yogurt in their cuisine as well. And Greece.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,435,379 times
A lot of countries from the Balkans through Turkey into Central Asia and Northern India use yoghurt as a sauce or side dish or sometimes as a way to thicken sauces. But there's plenty to eat in most of those countries that doesn't involve yoghurt.

My girlfriend's father is Syrian and he makes some delicious meat dishes in yoghurt sauces--similiar to what you'd find in Lebanon as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Yes, I agree with this. I must admit, however, that I did not read the article (although I am a huge Wikipedia fan), however I do know from experience that the Greek yogurt is very thick (more protein by grams) and quite delicious!

Also, the Greek cuisine does include yogurt in many of their traditional dishes. My experience is with Greek yogurt prepared at home from scratch...DELICIOUS!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 03-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Eh...typo!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
These will be the cuisines I will avoid like a plague in life. I looked up Greece, seems they integrate it into soooo many types of foods and same in Lebanon and Syria. To the point where it's hard to avoid it.

Yogurt is my mortal nemesis, my number one enemy, my biggest weakness, the thing I hate more passionately than anything else in life and have since I was 3 years of age.
It's okay V, to each their own. That just leaves more for the rest of us!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World