U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,034,791 times
Reputation: 8981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Many of which are unemployed because they refuse to take jobs which they feel are beneath them. When you haven't worked in a year, it's time to take whatever comes along, the time for being choosy is long past.
And many can't work because they are disabled, they can't pay for healthcare because they can't work. Don't you think there is a lot of people in that situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,230,359 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I sleep fine at night, because I know that I raised my child (I stopped at one because it was all I could comfortably afford) without financial support from others. Frankly I'd have trouble sleeping if I was selfish enough to expect others to pay for my choices.

I find it amazing that you would condone long term unemployed sitting on their butt rather than working.
I find it amazing that you think of long-term unemployed people that way. You better hope you don't lose your job yourself, but of course that could never happen to you because you're so responsible, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And many can't work because they are disabled, they can't pay for healthcare because they can't work. Don't you think there is a lot of people in that situation?
Actually for people who are truly disabled, I don't have a problem with helping them out. None at all. But in my opinion we have far too many people who are capable of working collecting SSDI because we've made it too easy for them to do so.

I think the actual number of truly disabled people is very small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I find it amazing that you think of long-term unemployed people that way. You better hope you don't lose your job yourself, but of course that could never happen to you because you're so responsible, right?
I DID lose my job, at the worst point of the recession in 2009. I had savings to fall back on for the 12 weeks of intense job hunting it took me to find a new job. How do you like them apples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,230,359 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I DID lose my job, at the worst point of the recession in 2009. I had savings to fall back on for the 12 weeks of intense job hunting it took me to find a new job. How do you like them apples?
Well, good for you. Not everyone is that fortunate but I guess it's easier to look down on people and pretend they're just not trying hard enough.

My mother was born with spina bifida. She is extremely limited in the kind of jobs she can do. She's of moderate intelligence and a few years from retirement age. No matter how many job applications she sends out, she just won't get hired. My brother has a severe hernia. He's on high doses of morphine and the only jobs he is allowed to do are ones where he's sitting and gets to take a break every 10 minutes to walk around (on doctor's orders). He can't lift anything heavier than 3 kg. If you were an employer and you had a choice between 100 applicants, would you hire him? My 4-year-old nephew was born with classic autism and severe physical health problems. My sister and her husband both work but there's no way they could ever afford their son's health care costs, which are tens of thousands of euros every year. Who could, except for the very rich? There's no way they could have foreseen this. Yes, they are forced to rely on "government hand-outs" to provide for their son but the same could happen to you unless you have tens of thousands of dollars on your bank account. Don't take your privileged position for granted.

Last edited by LindavG; 03-14-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
 
4,454 posts, read 5,505,945 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Who ever said the US is the worlds wealthiest country? Not I. We aren't even in the top 5.

By the way, my family isn't homeless. We aren't wealthy, but we are far from homeless.
Well of course it is not the wealthiest yet according to Forbes it is the 7th wealthiest country. #7 United States - The World's Richest Countries - Forbes#

Anyway I know a friend and some of her family in the US is homeless. She can't even get government benefits and has to rely on foodstamps to survive. She now in a warming centre in her city. Her husband gets very little benefits and not enough to live on. She has tried for a long time to get benefits and she clearly has a disability yet she has not even got on it yet. She has waited for nearly 2 years for this.

Last edited by other99; 03-14-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,034,791 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I DID lose my job, at the worst point of the recession in 2009. I had savings to fall back on for the 12 weeks of intense job hunting it took me to find a new job. How do you like them apples?
You seem very financially smart,

Maybe, we need some sort of Personal Finance classes in high school and college required to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,249 posts, read 8,401,423 times
Reputation: 4672
All countries have poverty. The people who live in poverty in the United States have it MUCH better than the people who live in 3rd world and 2nd world countries, such as Congo, Ethiopia, Venezuela, China, and parts of Eastern Europe.

There is still a VAST amount of wealth in the United States. We are the world image leader, the producer of culture, the sole world superpower (China and Russia have a ways to go, they're both battling over the number 2 spot), our political system has less corruption than most other countries, where there is a secret police that will abduct people and make them "disappear" from the face of the earth.

The United States is still the greatest country on earth when all things are taken into factor. The melting pot of the world, people of all different races, ethnicities, parts of the world, dialects, background, etc. More opportunity here than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Well, good for you. Not everyone is that fortunate but I guess it's easier to look down on people and pretend they're just not trying hard enough.
You sure like to twist things, don't you? I'm saying that after a year of not finding the job they "want," an unemployed person should take any job that comes along--it's time to hang it up and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well of course it is not the wealthiest yet according to Forbes it is the 7th wealthiest country. #7 United States - The World's Richest Countries - Forbes#

Anyway I know a friend and some of her family in the US is homeless. She can't even get government benefits and has to rely on foodstamps to survive. She now in a warming centre in her city. Her husband gets very little benefits and not enough to live on. She has tried for a long time to get benefits and she clearly has a disability yet she has not even got on it yet. She has waited for nearly 2 years for this.
What's your point? She is disabled, why isn't her husband working and supporting them both? What city are they in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top