U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,146,445 times
Reputation: 12971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And why is that? Because conservative right wing Americans are selfish and hate any tax money that goes to help the impoverished.
I'm far from conservative and to call me right wing is laughable.

I'm not opposed to a hand up. I am opposed to hand outs.

I'm opposed to perpetuating the cycle of poverty and handing people money as a reward for having kids they can't afford.

I'm opposed to helping people who refuse to help themselves.

I'm opposed to wasteful government programs that do nothing to fix the problem, but just put an expensive Band-Aid on it.

I have no problem with food stamps, but think that they need to be like WIC vouchers and should only be able to be used for very specific nutritious foods--which is what the program started out as. Fresh produce, lean meats, whole grains, dairy products. Nothing prepared, prepackaged, or frozen--no chips, soda, etc., and in order to get Food Stamps, the recipient should have to attend budgeting classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Orlando
109 posts, read 103,018 times
Reputation: 28
This is just another hating on America thread.... yes, we have issues , but so does every country. The majority of homeless people in this country don't want a meal...they want money to go buy alcohol. On a couple of occasions i would buy food for a homeless person amd they would actually through it on the ground. It's a shame that people act like that in todays society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 5,892,650 times
Reputation: 1642
The homeless people in America arent homeless their mentally disbaled. Trust me we have a million organizations funding the homeless, we have free housing for veterans, in one interview a homeless guy even said he choose the path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,831 posts, read 3,785,055 times
Reputation: 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm far from conservative and to call me right wing is laughable.

I'm not opposed to a hand up. I am opposed to hand outs.

I'm opposed to perpetuating the cycle of poverty and handing people money as a reward for having kids they can't afford.

I'm opposed to helping people who refuse to help themselves.

I'm opposed to wasteful government programs that do nothing to fix the problem, but just put an expensive Band-Aid on it.

I have no problem with food stamps, but think that they need to be like WIC vouchers and should only be able to be used for very specific nutritious foods--which is what the program started out as. Fresh produce, lean meats, whole grains, dairy products. Nothing prepared, prepackaged, or frozen--no chips, soda, etc., and in order to get Food Stamps, the recipient should have to attend budgeting classes.
LOL, you've given a clinic on conservative 'thinking' on this thread alone. Somebody's short on self awareness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,146,445 times
Reputation: 12971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
LOL, you've given a clinic on conservative 'thinking' on this thread alone. Somebody's short on self awareness...
I'm fiscally conservative. I'm very liberal on other issues, particularly in terms of reproductive choice, marriage equality, and separation of church and state. I'm very much independent, there is no major party that aligns with my beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: England
22,476 posts, read 5,573,922 times
Reputation: 29281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Our wealthy-funded Super-PACS, our lobbyists in Congress: Spelled: C-o-r-r-u-p-t-i-o-n! Which part of that you can't comprehend!!!

People "disappear" off the "face of the earth" everyday in this country, via jails/prisons, with the highest incarceration rate on the entire planet!

Nothing is easier than to wash a brain! 20 years from now, or much sooner, having long defaulted on our foreign debt, you'll still hear the tooting of the horns from every corner of this country: We're the greatest country on earth!
The UK has the highest amount of people in jail in Europe. Other European countries think we are a 'lock 'em up' society. Our jail population is approx 97,000 people with just over 60 million people in the UK. The US jail population is approx 2,225,000. So, allowing for the US having about five times as many people, our equivalent would be half a million in jail. So the US has easily over four times the UK rate of people locked up.
Could someone explain to me why they think this is the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,146,445 times
Reputation: 12971
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The UK has the highest amount of people in jail in Europe. Other European countries think we are a 'lock 'em up' society. Our jail population is approx 97,000 people with just over 60 million people in the UK. The US jail population is approx 2,225,000. So, allowing for the US having about five times as many people, our equivalent would be half a million in jail. So the US has easily over four times the UK rate of people locked up.
Could someone explain to me why they think this is the case?
I have nothing more than my theory, but I believe it's for two reasons. Racism and absurd drug laws that punish rather than cure addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Orlando
109 posts, read 103,018 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The UK has the highest amount of people in jail in Europe. Other European countries think we are a 'lock 'em up' society. Our jail population is approx 97,000 people with just over 60 million people in the UK. The US jail population is approx 2,225,000. So, allowing for the US having about five times as many people, our equivalent would be half a million in jail. So the US has easily over four times the UK rate of people locked up.
Could someone explain to me why they think this is the case?
We have more people in jail, but you have a higher percentage of your population in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: England
22,476 posts, read 5,573,922 times
Reputation: 29281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areed View Post
We have more people in jail, but you have a higher percentage of your population in jail.
How do you work that out? I explained we have a 97,000 jail population with a 60 million population. You have five times as many people with a 2,250,000 jail population. You can do math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,146,445 times
Reputation: 12971
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
How do you work that out? I explained we have a 97,000 jail population with a 60 million population. You have five times as many people with a 2,250,000 jail population. You can do math?
97,000 / 60,000,00 = .16 % of population
2,250,000 / 313,914,040 = .71 % of population

Not quite five times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top