U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: London, UK
9,992 posts, read 9,480,622 times
Reputation: 3473

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The reality is that there are very, very few people living in homeless camps as a percentage of our population. our media just likes to play it up and make it seem like a huge problem, just like they try to do with anything in order to get ratings. The number is probably less than 10,000 total across the country.

Many of the people who sleep in the camps could sleep in shelters, but choose not to. In the shelters they have rules. They are required to look for work and they can't do drugs or drink while they are there. The group that doesn't want rules accounts for about half of the population living in tents or under bridges. Then there are the homeless couples, they would rather live in a tent than be split up in the shelters. What's left is probably about 2500 people, many of whom actually belong in mental health settings, but because of the laws in our country, we can't force them to go there if they aren't a threat to themselves or others. That leaves maybe 1000 individuals.
So homeless people will rather sleep in a small tent with no food or lack of it, no electricity, no clean water, no soap the list goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: England
22,318 posts, read 5,527,098 times
Reputation: 29146
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. They have no permanent address, which is the definition of homeless.
So, the 50,000 people, half of them children, on an average night in New York, staying in shelters are homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,014,482 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The reality is that there are very, very few people living in homeless camps as a percentage of our population. our media just likes to play it up and make it seem like a huge problem, just like they try to do with anything in order to get ratings. The number is probably less than 10,000 total across the country.

Many of the people who sleep in the camps could sleep in shelters, but choose not to. In the shelters they have rules. They are required to look for work and they can't do drugs or drink while they are there. The group that doesn't want rules accounts for about half of the population living in tents or under bridges. Then there are the homeless couples, they would rather live in a tent than be split up in the shelters. What's left is probably about 2500 people, many of whom actually belong in mental health settings, but because of the laws in our country, we can't force them to go there if they aren't a threat to themselves or others. That leaves maybe 1000 individuals.
Your estimate is rather different to that of the US Housing and Urban Development department, which estimated that there were 650,000 homeless people in the US in 2009:

Homelessness in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But it's a shame this has become a US vs Europe squabble, because it should be obvious to anyone that homelessness is a significant problem in both those parts of the world. Traveller communities cannot really be called homeless, but here in the UK there is a very large population of 'hidden homeless' people, in temporary shelters and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,020,298 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Right, and there is no such thing as shelters turning people away because they're full or shelters being in such bad shape that sleeping in a tent seems preferable
Or people who don't want to live in the shelter because they don't like the rules--a more common situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,014,482 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So, the 50,000 people, half of them children, on an average night in New York, staying in shelters are homeless?
Yes, people living in shelters are generally considered to be homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,020,298 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Travelers are homeless in a sense but they choose to live like that. Homeless people that are FORCED to live in tents and on the streets are different.
Or people who don't want to live in the or normal society because they don't like the rules--a more common situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,020,298 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So, the 50,000 people, half of them children, on an average night in New York, staying in shelters are homeless?
That's correct. However given that population as a percentage of our countries population, it's a small number and along the same lines as the homeless population in your country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,014,482 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's correct. However given that population as a percentage of our countries population, it's a small number and along the same lines as the homeless population in your country.
Indeed - but rather shows up your crazy estimate of 10,000 homeless across the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,020,298 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Your estimate is rather different to that of the US Housing and Urban Development department, which estimated that there were 650,000 homeless people in the US in 2009:

Homelessness in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But it's a shame this has become a US vs Europe squabble, because it should be obvious to anyone that homelessness is a significant problem in both those parts of the world. Traveller communities cannot really be called homeless, but here in the UK there is a very large population of 'hidden homeless' people, in temporary shelters and so on.
However the vast majority of those people are not living in tent cities or under bridges! They are in shelters, living with friends, living in hotels--all of those situations fit the definition of homeless--just like the "hidden homeless people" you refer to. It's .2% (point two percent) of the total population of this country. It's not the huge numbers that the media makes it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,020,298 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Indeed - but rather shows up your crazy estimate of 10,000 homeless across the US!
Can you not read? I said 10,000 living in tent cities or under bridges. They number 1.5% of the number of people classified as "homeless."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top