U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,757,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I took an overnight bus tour to Detroit last fall with my wife to watch the Packers/Lions game. It is arguably the worst city in America and annually in the running as the country's murder capital.

I wouldn't go to Brazil if you offered me a trip for free. That country is up there with Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and South Africa on my list of "Countries of the World I Will Never See the Inside Of Due to Legit Fears for my Personal Safety".
Then you are either very misinformed or just a coward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,859,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How in tarnation can you call a country a superpower with $16 trillion in debt!!!
Usa has been ranked in the top five most devoped countries by all types of magazines and companies. We have the best military, best universities, best highway system, best scientist, most diverse economy and one of the largest and strongest, we have highest gdp per capita, we have all types of land from swamps to the beach to the rocky mountains, we are the most diverse in terms of people, also everything is rebounding the usa.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Usa has been ranked in the top five most devoped countries by all types of magazines and companies. We have the best military, best universities, best highway system, best scientist, most diverse economy and one of the largest and strongest, we have highest gdp per capita, we have all types of land from swamps to the beach to the rocky mountains, we are the most diverse in terms of people, also everything is rebounding the usa.
I hate to join the negative nancy club. but China has a larger highway system now.

Oh well, we still have big homes and big cars

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Then you are either very misinformed or just a coward.
Yeah... I'm a "coward" because I am not willing to risk my family's safety for the sake of visiting some violent dump of a country that has precious little to offer that I cannot find in another, safer destination.

However, judging by your stupid, flame-baiting reply, you must either be very gullible or an idiot altogether.

Last edited by Annuvin; 03-12-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah... I'm a "coward" because I am not willing to risk my family's safety for the sake of visiting some violent dump of a country that has precious little to offer that I cannot find in another, safer destination.

However, judging by your stupid, flame-baiting reply, you must either be very gullible or an idiot altogether.

What you talking about Willis? - YouTube

You're scared of Brazil!?!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You're scared of Brazil!?!
From everything I have read and heard about Brazil, it is up there with Mexico as far a violent crime goes.

Maybe my idea of safe is different from all of you. I am from Canada after all.

Here is a link on the Government of Canada's advisory to Canadian citizens travelling to Brazil:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/brazil

Here is another advisory site outlining the crime situation in Brazil:

From: http://www.internationalsos.com/demo...visory_new.cfm

Most cities in Brazil face a high rate of street crime. Violent crime is rampant in the country's business and tourism centers, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Other major cities including Campinas, Recife, Santos, Belo Horizonte, and Porto Alegre of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have been individually classified as "moderate" risk due to high crime rates.

Crime rates have been rising in Brazil, with the most significant problems in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, especially in the tourist areas, hotel districts and beaches.

Street crime poses the greatest risk to foreign visitors and expatriate businessmen. Street crime is a growing, ever-present threat in the country's major cities, but is particularly acute in Rio de Janeiro. The most common locations for criminal acts to be committed against foreigners in Rio are the popular beaches and neighborhoods of Copacabana and Leme. The incidence of crime against tourists tends to be greater in areas surrounding discotheques, bars, nightclubs and other similar establishments, especially at dusk and during the evening hours. Several Brazilian cities have established specialized tourist police units to patrol areas frequented by tourists. Most of the attacks have occurred in Copacabana but the biggest increase has been seen in Santa Teresa. The following areas have been identified as "high crime" areas: Avenida Atlantica, between Postos 3 and 6; Avenida Rio Branco; Lapa; Santa Teresa and Vista Chinesa.
Sao Paulo has noted an increase in street crime where guns are involved. Additionally, Sao Paulo has reported thefts at Guarulhos International Airport, involving carry-on luggage or briefcases that have been set down, sometimes for only a moment. Arriving and departing travelers should be especially vigilant and take the necessary precautions at this and other Brazilian airports. Sao Paulo also suffers from the same problems of street crime, which appears to be on the rise in nearly every part of the city. Incidents of kidnapping do occur, however the targeted community continues to be wealthy Brazilian families, and this particular crime has not greatly affected the foreign community.

Crimes of opportunity, i.e., larceny, purse-snatching, armed street robbery, car theft and carjackings, pose the greatest threat to foreign visitors in Brazilian cities. Most foreign visitors dress differently and do not speak the local language. This increases their chances of being seen as a foreigner, and therefore perceived as an easier, wealthier target for criminals. Visitors are encouraged to keep in mind the following basic security precautions:

Avoid going out alone, if possible walk with a companion.

Avoid unlit areas, especially alleys and parks.

Do not resist an armed thief. If robbed, never pursue on foot.

Do not carry large sums of money; carry only what you need.

Do not wear ostentatious jewelry of real or apparent value.

Do not overburden yourself with bundles.

When riding in a vehicle, including taxis, keep all doors locked and windows rolled up to within two inches of the top frame.

The level of police assistance in these cities is described as marginal. Police response time is often lengthy due to the limited number of units available for patrol. Investigative efforts often are found lacking due to a high number of daily incidents, and a lack of available manpower needed to investigate those incidents. The local forces suffer from inadequate levels of training, manpower, lack of proper equipment and notoriously low salary levels at nearly every rank. Together, these factors help fuel the low levels of morale among the officers, which is directly reflected in the level of service provided.

Most crime, including violent crime, takes place in the periphery of Sao Paulo. Crimes involving foreigners occur in public areas where there are large numbers of people, such as crowded sidewalks, or on buses. The most serious challenge to the safety and security of expatriates, foreigners and citizens in Sao Paulo are the burglary of offices and staff residences. There is evidence that organized drug gangs have also been growing rapidly in the city.

Crime and murder rates are growing in Rio de Janeiro and tends to affect all areas of the city. Avoid Rio’s favelas, or hillside slums, areas of uncontrolled criminal activity. Rio de Janeiro also has a serious problem with organized crime. Organized crime factions have been responsible for bombings outside of hotels and restaurants frequented by tourists. Additionally the risk from express kidnapping remains a problem. Express kidnapping occurs when an individual or a group of individuals is abducted and immediately released following the receipt of a ransom. Victims may also be taken to an ATM where they are instructed to withdraw all of their money. These victims are typically released following this acquisition. Gang violence is another epidemic in Rio de Janeiro, most of which is fueled by drugs, and largely accounts for the city’s high murder rate. Many members of these gangs (gangues) are children or teenagers. Gangs are also beginning to form in wealthy residential areas by middle-class youth.

This is the part where you tell me I am being silly because "crime can happen anywhere" and act like having to keep all doors locked and the windows rolled up to within two inches of the top frame when riding in a taxi should be considered "normal" or "practicing common sense".

Last edited by Annuvin; 03-13-2013 at 12:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 AM

People from all over go vacation in Brazil, even people from the safest countries like Norway.

You just have to use common sense and keep your phone in your pocket and don't wear over the top expensive clothes.
I heard of a guy who took a motorcycle from Alaska - Argentina and had to go through Mexico, Central America and he survived !

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
That is so true.

Because of my job I have to deal with a lot of people on food stamps. They simply don't have enough money for food after they get through paying for cigarettes, dip, alcohol, drugs, cable TV, lottery tickets and everything else which is apparently more important than food.

Ummm....how do food stamps pay for that?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People from all over go vacation in Brazil, even people from the safest countries like Norway.

You just have to use common sense and keep your phone in your pocket and don't wear over the top expensive clothes. I heard of a guy who took a motorcycle from Alaska - Argentina and had to go through Mexico, Central America and he survived !
Lucky for him. With a murder rate of 21 per 100,000 citizens compared to America's 4.2 per 100,000 citizens, and Canada's 1.6 per 100,000 citizens, I don't think I'd be taking my chances travelling there anytime soon.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,757,723 times
Quote:

Whatever Mr. Seven Churches Rising from Hell...

Summer of 2014 Brazil will host the next World Cup with a few million people flying in to enjoy it and have a great time overall. There will be a small number of petty crimes on tourists and possibly even a murder or two, but some frustrating internal transportation issues are likely to be the most talked about problem. You can stay home, doors locked, gun and bible in hand praying for your safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or