Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Of course they should be, my point is that it's misleading to say the US has the best Universities when only a small minority of American students get to attend them. The Ivy League Universities do not represent the American University system as a whole.
There are plenty of excellent universities that are [dare I say] just as good as the Ivies. Some public, some private, but excellent in any case. Overall, the United States has an excellent higher education system.

Quote:
Very few EU countries are facing bankruptcy but regardless, that doesn't change the fact that the EU is a more diverse and larger economy than the US.
More diverse? I don't think so. because of the way they are all tied together by the Euro, even the bankruptcy of one EU country will create financial problems in the others.

Quote:
What does immigration have to do with anything?
About as much as Chinese geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Why not? What makes you think a smaller population automatically makes it easier to balance the budget?
Considering you make it sound like there is no poverty and low military spending, there should be no reason to not have everyone paying their own way and keeping the country solvent.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are plenty of excellent universities that are [dare I say] just as good as the Ivies. Some public, some private, but excellent in any case. Overall, the United States has an excellent higher education system.
If you mean tertiary education, I agree.

Quote:
More diverse? I don't think so. because of the way they are all tied together by the Euro, even the bankruptcy of one EU country will create financial problems in the others.
The Eurozone and the EU are two different things. Assuming you are referring to the Eurozone, how is that different than the US?

Quote:
About as much as Chinese geography.
I was not the one who brought up geography, someone else did. My point is that the US is not the only country that has this quality and that this in itself doesn't make it superior to other countries (which you pointed out yourself with regard to China).

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering you make it sound like there is no poverty and low military spending, there should be no reason to not have everyone paying their own way and keeping the country solvent.
Huh? You must be confusing me for someone else (see post #68 for my stance on poverty).

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM

44 posts, read 66,107 times
[quote=LindavG;28658981]Unfortunately, surprisingly little has changed between Bush and Obama apart from health care reform. It seems like no one is actually paying attention to the kind of policies Obama supports, he is basically a Republican in disguise and desperate for Republican approval. It's a shame because I really like him (as a person) and I wanted him to succeed but he has let me down so far.

This comment shows you know nothing about the USA. The congress just raised taxes on the wealthy and immigration reform is coming soon. Violence against women act that includes protection for gays just passed, OMG not in the US I can't believe it. The heath care reform in American is the biggest reform to happen in 70 years. It's a concept that Europeans have a hard time to grasp,change, because change in Europe something that takes years to happen. In the USA change happens over night.

Look I grew up in the ghetto, Have you ever been to public. housing in the US? Do people own cars in Holland who are on welfare? Do they have Smart phones or drive Navigators? I've traveled to some really poor country and the US isn't one of them.

Yes most homeless people inn the US are drug addict or criminals, but they choose to be. I grew up in Long Beach Ca, people made it out the ghetto and others didn't. That's life. I had friend who went to prison for armed robbery and was given a second, third , forth chance to work and do the right thing and he choose not to. If you talk to him, he only blame him self. Nobody like self pity.

It should be a bigger factor in determining Quality of life studies.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM

44 posts, read 66,107 times
Quote:
Why not? What makes you think a smaller population automatically makes it easier to balance the budget?
Please you have 4 people in your family or 4,000. What's easier?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagendass View Post
This comment shows you know nothing about the USA. The congress just raised taxes on the wealthy and immigration reform is coming soon. Violence against women act that includes protection for gays just passed, OMG not in the US I can't believe it. The heath care reform in American is the biggest reform to happen in 70 years. It's a concept that Europeans have a hard time to grasp,change, because change in Europe something that takes years to happen. In the USA change happens over night.
I explicitly excluded health care reform, which is indeed a major change. But in a lot of ways, Obama is just continuing the Bush policies and is in some ways even worse (extension of Bush tax cuts, aggressive foreign policy (e.g. drone strikes), more supportive of Israel than even Bush was, enormous cuts on Medicare, etc.). His actions are not nearly as Progressive as his speeches make him out to be.

No country can go through radical changes overnight, not even the US. I mean, Obama has been in office since 2008 and his health care reform still hasn't been fully implemented.

Quote:
Look I grew up in the ghetto, Have you ever been to public. housing in the US? Do people own cars in Holland who are on welfare? Do they have Smart phones or drive Navigators? I've traveled to some really poor country and the US isn't one of them.
Poverty is relative. Like I said, I grew up in the poorest class myself, with two (divorced) parents on welfare. Yes, we own a car although I walk whenever I can to save gasoline, and no I don't own a smartphone.

Quote:
Yes most homeless people inn the US are drug addict or criminals, but they choose to be. I grew up in Long Beach Ca, people made it out the ghetto and others didn't. That's life. I had friend who went to prison for armed robbery and was given a second, third , forth chance to work and do the right thing and he choose not to. If you talk to him, he only blame him self. Nobody like self pity.
That's very simplistic thinking.

Quote:
It should be a bigger factor in determining Quality of life studies.
How then? Who says warm weather increases your quality of living? Like I said, not everyone likes warm weather, especially older people.

Last edited by LindavG; 03-13-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagendass View Post
Please you have 4 people in your family or 4,000. What's easier?
It depends. There is not one government taking care of 300+ million people, most functions are delegated to the state level and many US states have ~ 5 million people (or less), just like Finland. There's no reason why they should have more difficulty managing their own state affairs. Many of the poorest states in the US (Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Arkansas) have less than 5 million people.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummm....how do food stamps pay for that?
They pay for those things through SSI, SSDI or odd jobs for cash under the table.

Or by selling food stamps.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Like I said, not everyone likes warm weather, especially older people.
In the US they sure do--that's why certain States have become meccas for retirees. North Carolina, Florida, Arizona, and Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World