Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You seem very financially smart,

Maybe, we need some sort of Personal Finance classes in high school and college required to graduate.
I've been saying this for years. My son's high school was very progressive, they had a mandatory "life skills" class that all seniors had to take to graduate. They learned how to fill out a job application and practiced interviewing, they learned how to open and balance a checking account, make a budget, read a lease, and fill out a simple tax return. There were some other things, I can't remember what anymore, but it was one of the best ideas I've ever heard of coming out of a high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 PM

23,100 posts, read 28,829,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Many of which are unemployed because they refuse to take jobs which they feel are beneath them. When you haven't worked in a year, it's time to take whatever comes along, the time for being choosy is long past.
Many long-term unemployed people have done just that! Yup! They committed suicide, risking they'll get a better job in the After Life, screening applicants for Heaven and Hell, doing lengthy background checks!

It was either that or a homeless shelter!

I've said it before, will say it again, if many of our American cities had the climate of Rio, Central America, parts of Asia, we could dispense with homeless shelters and our poverty would become much more visible!
Living in tents, tin shacks! And who else would join this movement? Working adults who, rather than fork over 50% of their income to rent in San Francisco or NYC, might opt to live in a tin shack/tent instead!

When Detroit was at its lowest point, a few years back, there were those deliberately committing crimes (just like back in the Great Depression) so they'd have a roof over their heads in jail or prison. Another form of homeless shelters?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And many can't work because they are disabled, they can't pay for healthcare because they can't work. Don't you think there is a lot of people in that situation?
Many of the disabled homeless population don't even realize they're qualified for Medicaid/SSI until they go to the hospital!

I work in a Long-Term Care/Rehab facility and we get them off the streets continually after they've been hospitalized, and many didn't even know they qualified for Medicaid/social security disability income, giving them an opportunity to get off the streets!

I've seen a few of the homeless come into my facility, and when doing rounds at night, you'll find them sleeping on the floor beside their beds! Why? They haven't slept in a bed for so long, they feel more comfortable on the floor!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What's your point? She is disabled, why isn't her husband working and supporting them both? What city are they in?
He used to work, but got sick and had to go to hospital due to his illness. His company refused to pay him workers compensation even though he has been there for over a year. He goes in and out of hospital several times in the last year. The city they are in is in Boulder CO. Most of the husband money goes to child support and they have lost custody of the children long ago.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

our political system has less corruption than most other countries, where there is a secret police that will abduct people and make them "disappear" from the face of the earth.
Our wealthy-funded Super-PACS, our lobbyists in Congress: Spelled: C-o-r-r-u-p-t-i-o-n! Which part of that you can't comprehend!!!

People "disappear" off the "face of the earth" everyday in this country, via jails/prisons, with the highest incarceration rate on the entire planet!

Nothing is easier than to wash a brain! 20 years from now, or much sooner, having long defaulted on our foreign debt, you'll still hear the tooting of the horns from every corner of this country: We're the greatest country on earth!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM

May I add that one factor that contributes to homelessness in this country, more affordable housing for the poor, rests with the anti-development, anti density, extremely powerful, selfish Nimby's (Not in my backyard) neighborhood groups, across the country, whom band together to, via altering zoning laws, to prevent the poor from living anywhere close to their neighborhoods! Restrict the supply of housing, and? Housing prices, apartment rentals remain unaffordable to the many!

Just take one look at the myriad homeless in San Francisco (San Fran-Nimby?) and the explanation is up there in the hills somewhere! Rather than allow some large-scale housing project for the poor, they'd prefer to trip over the homeless on the way to work!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
He used to work, but got sick and had to go to hospital due to his illness. His company refused to pay him workers compensation even though he has been there for over a year. He goes in and out of hospital several times in the last year. The city they are in is in Boulder CO. Most of the husband money goes to child support and they have lost custody of the children long ago.
Why would they pay him workers compensation if his illness wasn't work related? That's not how it works, he should have known better and carried disability insurance, which is for illness that didn't happen on the job.

People lose custody of their children for a reason--and it's not because they are good parents. This sounds like a lot of trouble of their own making, and I'll put money on it that there is a lot more to this story--whether you know it or not.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
May I add that one factor that contributes to homelessness in this country, more affordable housing for the poor, rests with the anti-development, anti density, extremely powerful, selfish Nimby's (Not in my backyard) neighborhood groups, across the country, whom band together to, via altering zoning laws, to prevent the poor from living anywhere close to their neighborhoods! Restrict the supply of housing, and? Housing prices, apartment rentals remain unaffordable to the many!

Just take one look at the myriad homeless in San Francisco (San Fran-Nimby?) and the explanation is up there in the hills somewhere! Rather than allow some large-scale housing project for the poor, they'd prefer to trip over the homeless on the way to work!
There wouldn't be nearly as many homeless in SF if many who aren't even from that area didn't flock there due to their tolerance of the homeless and mild climate. Portland, OR, Orlando, FL, and Miami, FL have the same problem, although Orlando and Portland are becoming less and less tolerate of it as the number of homeless who didn't become homeless as Florida residents swells.

Large scale housing projects just breed crime and violence, they are not the answer--not to mention that they cost hundreds of millions to build. Who do you expect will pay for that?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,479,942 times
VIDEO: New Jersey's Tent City Is Falling Apart - Business Insider

Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,860,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Incorrect. The USA is still the largest economy and largest military in the world. It is by all definitions a true superpower even if it has declined relatively a small amount as of late. Its role in international politics at present is unquestioned.

America has always had some seriously impoverished people, but less proportionally then a country like Brazil does. This isn't a new development, America was always like that even if you didn't hear about it.

And why is that? Because conservative right wing Americans are selfish and hate any tax money that goes to help the impoverished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World