U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
597 posts, read 1,130,610 times
Reputation: 414

Advertisements

I was horrified when I watch on TV, a report showing a lots of homeless and Tent Cities in USA.
I never imagined that the greatest world's superpower had so much poverty.
It is look like a third world or African country.
What is happening??
I can not understand because I grew up learning that U.S. was the land of opportunity and and richness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,479,567 times
Reputation: 4387
The image of America as a superpower is one that many people still subscribe to even tho it hasn't been true for a really long time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,672 posts, read 8,111,526 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The image of America as a superpower is one that many people still subscribe to even tho it hasn't been true for a really long time
Incorrect. The USA is still the largest economy and largest military in the world. It is by all definitions a true superpower even if it has declined relatively a small amount as of late. Its role in international politics at present is unquestioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I was horrified when I watch on TV, a report showing a lots of homeless and Tent Cities in USA.
I never imagined that the greatest world's superpower had so much poverty.
It is look like a third world or African country.
What is happening??
I can not understand because I grew up learning that U.S. was the land of opportunity and and richness.
America has always had some seriously impoverished people, but less proportionally then a country like Brazil does. This isn't a new development, America was always like that even if you didn't hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
597 posts, read 1,130,610 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Incorrect. The USA is still the largest economy and largest military in the world. It is by all definitions a true superpower even if it has declined relatively a small amount as of late. Its role in international politics at present is unquestioned.



America has always had some seriously impoverished people, but less proportionally then a country like Brazil does. This isn't a new development, America was always like that even if you didn't hear about it.
Yes, you're right. We have many problems.
But Brazil is not an economic, military, technological (and other things) superpower.
But things are changed here. In recent years, we have to maintain a high rate of growt and jobs, much better than many "first world countries".
God bless America a and Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,484 posts, read 1,650,131 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Yes, you're right. We have many problems.
But Brazil is not an economic, military, technological (and other things) superpower.
But things are changed here. In recent years, we have to maintain a high rate of growt and jobs, much better than many "first world countries".
God bless America a and Brazil.
I'm afraid that the things in Brazil are not so outstanding, since the growth rate is even below the average of other emerging markets. It's natural, however, that emerging markets such as Brazil, Mexico, Malaysia, India and others are more likely to grow up than already developed countries, depending, however, on the politics of each government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,672 posts, read 8,111,526 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Yes, you're right. We have many problems.
But Brazil is not an economic, military, technological (and other things) superpower.
But things are changed here. In recent years, we have to maintain a high rate of growt and jobs, much better than many "first world countries".
God bless America a and Brazil.
I didn't mean that as a criticism of Brazil, just saying why you might have thought US didn't have poverty like that when it does and always has. They do have welfare, food stamps, homeless shelters, food banks, and all sorts of other things to help their citizens who are on hard times, but life is messy and complicated so tent cities still happen there even with those measures. I think that they could improve their system so that tent cities wouldn't happen there, but that's a conversation for another day. Anyways, this is much less than like, 0.1% of Americans who are having to live in tents though, most poor people there have at least a real building to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,009,182 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
It is look like a third world or African country.
Lol no. overall its actually very nice, the ghettos are pretty bad but nowhere close to the poverty in a African country. Media likes to make it seem like everyone is living in poverty and we are running around shooting each other. In reality crime rates are dropping and we are currently living in the most peaceful time in history (so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,497 posts, read 20,042,833 times
Reputation: 22461
The poverty in the U.S. is very deceiving due largely to its climate! If the U.S. had much of Brazil's climate, where you could live outdoors 365 days a year without the fear of freezing, you'd see more overt signs of poverty here, along with zoning laws that would allow more tent cities! If Chicago or NYC had Belo Horizonte's climate, the homeless would very well leave the homeless shelters and set up tents somewhere! Not just in summer!

Yes, I understand, when you get to the far south in Brazil, like Curitiba, it can freeze/snow that far down, but I'm looking at the majority of Brazil!

Make no mistake, the U.S. has all but officially become a 3rd world country, one of the highest gaps between the rich and poor and growing wider every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,009,182 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The poverty in the U.S. is very deceiving due largely to its climate! If the U.S. had much of Brazil's climate, where you could live outdoors 365 days a year without the fear of freezing, you'd see more overt signs of poverty here, along with zoning laws that would allow more tent cities! If Chicago or NYC had Belo Horizonte's climate, the homeless would very well leave the homeless shelters and set up tents somewhere! Not just in summer!

Yes, I understand, when you get to the far south in Brazil, like Curitiba, it can freeze/snow that far down, but I'm looking at the majority of Brazil!

Make no mistake, the U.S. has all but officially become a 3rd world country, one of the highest gaps between the rich and poor and growing wider every day!
How can a country that ranks in the top 10 in GDP per capita be a third world country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM
 
455 posts, read 875,004 times
Reputation: 438
What is poverty like in the US really compared to other countries? That's the question. I know there are a lot of homes in US ghettos where people have full cable and satellite tv services.

I honestly don't think you can compare how someone in poverty in the US lives with those in actual 3rd world countries. There aren't anythting in the US comparable to the favelas in brazil or the shanty towns in the phillipines etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top