U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The common mis-conception in the world is that the world is living to the values of ones particular area, I think in reality the way the world is now has been 'morphed' by cultures from all over the world already, for example politically a lot of nations are still using the Ancient Greek system, also you find that people seem to 'assume' that the more modern inventions are wholly Western when the reality is inventions are usually made of the back of 'older' inventions, ultimately all of the world has some fingers in the pie regarding the way the world is now functioning
Very astute post. We always go on about Western imperialism and the contributions of Western Civilisation (to which Gandhi quipped, 'I think it'd be a good idea') but the West owes much to other cultures, from the Near East, to India, China, and Meso-America. Without China, for instance, we'd all be living in the dark ages still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

12,648 posts, read 12,071,712 times
I knew it would not be too many posts before someone starts chiming in about how overrated Western influence is on the world.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I knew it would not be too many posts before someone starts chiming in about how overrated Western influence is on the world.
Someone sounds defensive.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post

In what ways ?
Trimac20 said it pretty well in his post. Also the increase in inter-cultural marraiges has a great effect of spreading theword. 50 years ago when I went to Japan there were only three Westerners I knew studying Japanese and except for me they were all US service men who had been stationed in Japan and discovered their "aficion" for the country. Today there are 100's of Westerners studying in Japan. Westerners are beginning to look on East Asians as pretty incredible societies from whom a lot can be learned.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 AM

2,872 posts, read 3,785,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have definitely noticed elements of Western culture has greatly spread through out the world. In fact, many nations aim to westernize in order to improve their country. Often enough, the results are that many tradition of cultures seems to disappear or get marginalized.

Here some of example of what I am talking about:

-Western clothes being worn all over world. Men wear pants/shirts instead of traditional clothes in India, China, African countries etc. Suit/Tie/Tuxedo is considered formal wear for men all over the world. Women also wear western styled dresses/jeans, though some places (like India) they still wear traditional clothes often enough. Japan seems to biggest extreme, everyone seems to wear western clothes and you hardly see any traditional outfits.

-Dating / Relationship / Marriage seems to moved closer present day "love marriage" or even "living together" culture in the West. Previously, this hardly happened in places like India, China, Japan and Africa. Heck, I heard youngsters in Iran were celebrating Valentines Day!

-Another related thing is Marriage Ceremony themselves are Western instead of traditional ones. That's the even case if they aren't Christian, I have hear of tons of "fake" priests Japan performing such marriages.

-Western music/movies seem to popular all over world. American like say Madonna is actually know everywhere in world.

Vice versa, I don't think Western culture assimilates this much at all. Honestly, I predict as world get more connected, key elements of Western culture will become more prevalent. I expect certain traditions from part of world will disappear.
This "western culture" to which you reffer is not "western" but more "American" or "Anglo-American".
In France, like the rest of Europe, we have experienced a progressive "AMericanization" of many aspects of the society, pop music, fashions, products, ways of consumption... This since the end of WW2. This culture was not originally french (which is a country of western culture)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,652,389 times
Sometimes I feel like globalization is just a euphemism for Americanization.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,645,493 times
The core values of the western society are the judeo-christian values and the Illuminism. It performs more or less influences in most eastern countries, but it's rejected within the islamic countries.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
This "western culture" to which you reffer is not "western" but more "American" or "Anglo-American".
In France, like the rest of Europe, we have experienced a progressive "AMericanization" of many aspects of the society, pop music, fashions, products, ways of consumption... This since the end of WW2. This culture was not originally french (which is a country of western culture)
Yes, but note that pop music, fashion, etc. are only peripherical cultural features. I suppose that frenchmen will remain living and thinking as frenchmen, regardless of their taste about american products. The same for germans, italians, spaniards, mexicans, argentinians, and so one.

You must also remember that the fine arts from France were the major worldwide influence during the 18th and 19th centuries, and French was once the 'lingua franca' of the world, the same role performed nowadays by the English language.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
From what I noticed going over to Asia is that there are many aspects of Western culture which are being adopted in face but not in spirit. Notably religion. Shinto, mysticism, and Buddhism and Confucianism are still the by far dominant religions of Japan (and the last four are dominant outside of Japan throughout Asia, except SE Asia where Islam has made major inroads, as well as Christianity, and India of course due to Hinduism).

I would argue that religious influence of the West is on the wane outside Latin America primarily because the West doesn't seem to value Christianity, besides some extreme examples espoused by primarily USA southern extremists.

The music of Japan has modernized, but I challenge you to find a corollary to AKB48 anywhere in the West. Basically there's 48 young women who stay until they're around 20/21 and "graduate" to a chosen field (some adult video, some into more grown up music, some to TV/movies, etc). They are rotated around so each gets exposure according to fan feedback. So far as I can tell, there's nothing in the West that is like that except maybe the X-factor but that'd kinda different. So in many ways even when they've adopted the young pop idol model they've changed it to suit their tastes.

I'd say that the traditional elements of Japanese culture are still very well intact. What the west HAS done is modernize and bring Japan and most of Asia out of the iron age with applied science and the scientific method, as well as governance methods. What they've done is taken the best of what we've done the past 500 years and adapted it to their needs, and applied their cultural feedback (for example, vast majority of Japanese people don't use clothes dryers, they still hang them out on poles or lines, and you'll hardly ever see anyone lounging out on their deck/patio because it's meant for clothing).

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,395,835 times
I'm just going to say that some things get labeled as "western" that really aren't exclusively western. Democracy is not a western invention, its one of the oldest forms of government. The scientific method is not western, it's just the way you do science. Market based economies as well are not western. Logic as well I don't see as western.

Now business suits or combovers or English are western traits, but many things get labeled as western that I don't believe should be labeled so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or