Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,480,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I think it's becoming more and more a two way street. While the West has had a dominate 200 years influence on the East now the East is beginning to have a strong influence on the West and that influence is growing rapidly over the past few decades.
What infulence? Cannot see any Asian culture here :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,802,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that it's important to note, also, that some things that may on the onset seem "Western" end up being adapted to local culture to the degree that they take on a life of their own.

For instance, Korean pizza:

Or, Japanese KFC:

Or, visual kei bands from Japan... the gothic lolita style... stuff that has its roots in the West but has been extrapolated to such a massive degree and then mixed with local styles, traditions, and sensibilities to the point that it's no longer "Western."

A good example of this, IMHO, would be Japanese Christianity - the Kakure Kri****an, who were sealed off from the Catholic church when Japan closed itself to foreigners in the 1630's. When Japan reopened itself to missionaries after the Meiji restoration, the missionaries discovered that in the interceding centuries, the Christianity that had been driven underground had taken on an entirely different bent in which Christ was, shockingly, a much more buddha-like character, and the bible, hymns, etc. bore little resemblance to traditional Catholicism. Which, IMHO, is a really good thing, but that's another discussion entirely
Ok that is nothing like the kfc here. In the uk the kfc actually sell the same food as the american ones. If i wasnt told id just think that was a chinese restaurant. There is a building here in my town called frankie and bennys just opened and it is designed like an american store. That is americanised.

http://lisburn.com/archives/info/new...ie-bennys.html

Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,776,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
So their is a KFC in Japan. He is wearing a kimono ok.....

Moreover...
Curse of the Colonel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Colonel Sanders Sure Looks Like Hell

Quote:
Why is he holding a watermelon again ?
I believe I already know the answer to this one but....I could be wrong lol.
It could just be some sort of regional/local celebration thing... that's my hope, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World