U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 2 18.18%
San Francisco 6 54.55%
Other 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times

Advertisements

I would say Boston and Seattle both come to mind. Both have an MSA of about 4 million, similar to Melbourne, both are well known for being sort of arty and cultural, Boston and Melbourne both have that Italian culture. Seattle also has street-cars. Both seem fairly similar in stature/GDP, being second or third tier financial hubs. San Francisco would come in third. Like Melbourne it has trams (cable cars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
None.

If the US had something like Melbourne or something even 10% like Melbourne I would be living there instead.

However, I suppose maybe if you mashed up Boston + San Diego, it would probably be somewhat non-farfetched to say it's like Melbourne.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
None.

If the US had something like Melbourne or something even 10% like Melbourne I would be living there instead.

However, I suppose maybe if you mashed up Boston + San Diego, it would probably be somewhat non-farfetched to say it's like Melbourne.
You'd choose Melbourne over Washington, D.C.? That's interesting. I haven't been to Australia, but I'm not particularly interested in the cities of that country for some reason. The wilderness of Australia is what attracts me.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You'd choose Melbourne over Washington, D.C.? That's interesting. I haven't been to Australia, but I'm not particularly interested in the cities of that country for some reason. The wilderness of Australia is what attracts me.
Sorry, typed too fast. What I really mean is that it would be up there with my American favorites right alongside Washington, Chicago, and Miami.

Nah, I like Melbourne as much as Washington DC, Toronto, Chicago, Miami, and Vancouver for North American cities, Boston just slightly behind the others. Pretty much for preference all of them are the same tier for me. All behind New York though. Melbourne is my (by far) and favorite of the cities in Australia.

If we had something like Melbourne in the United States though, it would be like a dream come true. We get stuck with choppy alternatives of everything. Seattle is a choppy alternative to Vancouver (just visited Seattle for the first time recently) and so on. Really disappointed with the place.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
When people think of Oz the cities don't usually come to mind, even though we're very urbanised and that's the Australia you'll see most of, probably. Melbourne is a world class city, not just in Australia. I had such high hopes for say Boston, and while it's a fantastic city with architecture Melbourne could never compare to, in some ways I prefer Melbourne too.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Melbourne skyline

Melbourne at street level

Cable car lines

Melbourne

Vibrant streetlife

Laneway

Collins Street

More of Collins Street

Chinatown

More of Chinatown

Vibrancy of Chinatown

More vibrancy of Chinatown

Transit terminal

Horse drawn carriages

Street art in Melbourne

Street art corner in Melbourne

Melbourne's skyline from the docks

Melbourne skyline from park

Swanson Street

More of Swanson Street

Fitzroy Gardens

Public garden

Royal Botanic Gardens

Carlton Gardens

Aerial of Melbourne at night

Continued aerial of Melbourne at night

Scenery next to Melbourne

Continued scenery

Yarra Valley

Grampian Range

Continued Grampian Range

Absolutely stunning Victorian Alpines

Continued of the Alpines

Panorama from a park in Melbourne

Laneways at night

Outdoor event

More public art

Day view of Melbourne's skyline

A lighthouse

More skyline shots

More of laneways

Continued laneways and arcades

Amazing skyline shot

More skyline shots

The architecture

Night overview aerial of downtown

More at street level

The character and build up of the laneways and arcades

Fireworks

Total skyline pano during the day

That's the first part of the tour of Melbourne

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_by_night.jpg

Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Those pictures look great. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I don't give Australian cities enough thought because, well, they're too far down the other side of the world. lol. But Melbourne looks like a city I'd want to visit.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM

Excellent pics of Melbourne, valentro, I assume you took those on your trip?

Melbourne really is one of the IT cities in the world atm. Really come a long way in the past few decades. Even since I first visited in 2002, I've noticed many changes on my 6 subsequent visits.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM

369 posts, read 760,765 times
Las Vegas.

It's quite surprising that no one mentions it.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Las Vegas.

It's quite surprising that no one mentions it.
Are you being serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or