U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,143,144 times

Advertisements

I'm 100% Scottish and kinda swarthy. I don't think of the Scotts as very white at all. Most of the really fair ones are very reddish white and freckled.

Their are a couple of "Races" of peoples that have a very high rate of very white skin. Northern Slavs, have you never noticed how many of the Russians are light blond, blue eyed and very white?

I went to school with a girl who's family came from far northern eastern China. Man she was beautiful. Jet black hair and eyes to match. Her skin was the whitest and finest I have ever seen. When I asked her about it she told me that all of the people from the region her family came from have that parchment white skin. In their case there has not been a whole lot of outside blood in the genes and so they are consistently very very fair.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,733,648 times
Most Scottish people are freckled? Stereotyping at it's ignorant best! Most people I know have brown/black hair with no freckles.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Most Scottish people are freckled? Stereotyping at it's ignorant best! Most people I know have brown/black hair with no freckles.
Learn to read, I said a lot of the really fair ones are freckled. My 100% Scottish family was fair, freckled, blue eyed and blond on one side and swarthy, black haired, brown eyed and actually a little Asian looking on the other side.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,219,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm 100% Scottish and kinda swarthy. I don't think of the Scotts as very white at all. Most of the really fair ones are very reddish white and freckled.

Their are a couple of "Races" of peoples that have a very high rate of very white skin. Northern Slavs, have you never noticed how many of the Russians are light blond, blue eyed and very white?

I went to school with a girl who's family came from far northern eastern China. Man she was beautiful. Jet black hair and eyes to match. Her skin was the whitest and finest I have ever seen. When I asked her about it she told me that all of the people from the region her family came from have that parchment white skin. In their case there has not been a whole lot of outside blood in the genes and so they are consistently very very fair.
You've made an excellent point. The more northern and isolated a country is the more likely the "natives" will have very pale skin. Yet it has to be so northern that it is not feasible/healthy to spend much time outdoors. Where it is northern, cold yet less frigid and a human can spend more time outdoors you will see the natives have a bit of a tan from the sun or they get this from having nomadic gene suppliers - either one. In general of course, and this is my own arm chair conjecture using my "common sense" deduction skills.

And I've seen some northern Chinese folks myself and they have the most beautiful coloring of anyone else on the planet in my opinion. I love the contrast of blue black hair and very pale skin. It's so pretty.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
You've made an excellent point. The more northern and isolated a country is the more likely the "natives" will have very pale skin. Yet it has to be so northern that it is not feasible/healthy to spend much time outdoors. Where it is northern, cold yet less frigid and a human can spend more time outdoors you will see the natives have a bit of a tan from the sun or they get this from having nomadic gene suppliers - either one. In general of course, and this is my own arm chair conjecture using my "common sense" deduction skills.

And I've seen some northern Chinese folks myself and they have the most beautiful coloring of anyone else on the planet in my opinion. I love the contrast of blue black hair and very pale skin. It's so pretty.
There are also many Celtic people with jet black hair and pale, pale skin. In the Celts case though the eyes are usually violet blue. Many really beautiful Irish girls are of that type.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
Quote:

I very much doubt that you are 100 percent scottish.

It depends on your genetics. I have 3rd cousins in pa with the same parental line as me (except one behind - eg my 3rd cousin who is 50 has a ggg grandfather who is my gg
granda). But anyway they are pale as hell, literally ghost white and have bright orange hair and blue eyes. I do not look "irish" at all. I have blue eyes slight yellow/white skin and light brown hair. Only two /40 over here have ginger hair. It just goes to shoe that your lines change. I would say they may have more irish genes than me. Obviously they have mixed with irish catholics over there and diluted the line way down.

Last edited by Mac15; 03-01-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM

607 posts, read 1,959,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Oh my God! I don't even know where to start...

Firstly, it is total nonsense to always perceive Scandinavians and Dutch people as fully blond and blue eyed people.

Ruud van Nistelrooy is a former Dutch football player. According to your weird perception, he obviously isn't a "real" Dutch because no blond hair is apparent. Probably some British-Irish-Arab-Tongan-Mexican-White American ancestry, right?

Secondly, it is totally beyond me why you are obsessed with presenting "Brits" , "Irish" and "White Americans" as mostly "brown-skinned" and "black-haired" people who in many cases don't even look "European".

This is a random photo of the English national rugby team. Looks like the national squad of the Iraq or Guatemala to me, doesn't it? The players are all of "Scandinavian" origin, aren't they? Surely, they ain't English!

I have lived/traveled in those countries, the dutch, scandinavians and germans (from lower saxony and other northern regions) are way blonder and taller than brits. Everywhere I went to britain, even eastern regions most people had brown and black hair and didnt look very nordic as a whole

Brits arent that much different from the (central/northern)french people (pigmentation wise), the only difference is that obviously the french are better looking. Germans have more natural blondes than brits (no doubt about it) let alones scandinavians, dutch, finns, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I very much doubt that you are 100 percent scottish.

It depends on your genetics. I have 3rd cousins in pa with the same parental line as me (except one behind - eg my 3rd cousin who is 50 has a ggg grandfather who is my gg
granda). But anyway they are pale as hell, literally ghost white and have bright orange hair and blue eyes. I do not look "irish" at all. I have blue eyes slight yellow/white skin and light brown hair. Only two /40 over here have ginger hair. It just goes to shoe that your lines change. I would say they may have more irish genes than me. Obviously they have mixed with irish catholics over there and diluted the line way down.
Well we have our family tree on both sides traced back to the mid 1600s and there is not a drop of even English blood. I'm sure though that "Scottish" is a mix of Celts, Norse, Pictish, Anglo, Saxon and other peoples that have invaded that small country since time memorial.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,219,471 times
Quote:
Well we have our family tree on both sides traced back to the mid 1600s and there is not a drop of even English blood. I'm sure though that "Scottish" is a mix of Celts, Norse, Pictish, Anglo, Saxon and other peoples that have invaded that small country since time memorial.
Yeap, as well as most of Europe. The Celts, Vikings, Romans, etc. were some of the main stirrers of the genetic pot all over northern, western Europe. That is why it is usually hard for Americans to identify a tourist's nationality until they speak with a discernible accent. The only ones that are easier to make out - in general terms only - are the English because of their stockier builds and paler skin. (This might also be due to the location I am in too as to the type of tourist we attract from England.)

I also think that the ginger hair may not be a natural element of the Irish. From what I have read that hair color originated in Russia and traveled downward and could have been distributed via either the Vikings or Celts. It is possible that the British Isles were mostly darker haired folk before this happened.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Yeap, as well as most of Europe. The Celts, Vikings, Romans, etc. were some of the main stirrers of the genetic pot all over northern, western Europe. That is why it is usually hard for Americans to identify a tourist's nationality until they speak with a discernible accent. The only ones that are easier to make out - in general terms only - are the English because of their stockier builds and paler skin. (This might also be due to the location I am in too as to the type of tourist we attract from England.)

I also think that the ginger hair may not be a natural element of the Irish. From what I have read that hair color originated in Russia and traveled downward and could have been distributed via either the Vikings or Celts. It is possible that the British Isles were mostly darker haired folk before this happened.
The classic Irish look is hard to miss. Pale skin, jet black hair and violet blue eyes. I find the look extremely attractive and I have neem rarely wrong when I have guedded that person's ID as Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.