U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,218,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The classic Irish look is hard to miss. Pale skin, jet black hair and violet blue eyes. I find the look extremely attractive and I have been rarely wrong when I have guessed that person's ID as Irish.
It sounds very much like the late Elizabeth Taylor's coloring - best described as being both rare and exquisite.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,652,389 times
I'm kind of surprised brown eyes are so uncommon in Ireland. Nobody in my family has blue eyes - does that suggest that we are not completely Anglo-Celtic?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM

607 posts, read 1,957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm kind of surprised brown eyes are so uncommon in Ireland. Nobody in my family has blue eyes - does that suggest that we are not completely Anglo-Celtic?
Dont believe in those silly maps you can find over the internet.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,770,210 times
Quote:
I'm sure you know the history of your family but Ireland is a very blue eyed country. Hazel eyes would be more common than brown eyes. Brown eyes do occur and having your family with brown eyes wouldn't rule you out as British or Irish. The majority of Irish are blue eyed or some mixed eye colour like hazel/blue/green. Brown eyes are a minority.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Dont believe in those silly maps you can find over the internet.
I don't know about maps but yes Ireland is majority blue eyed.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,578,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well we have our family tree on both sides traced back to the mid 1600s and there is not a drop of even English blood. I'm sure though that "Scottish" is a mix of Celts, Norse, Pictish, Anglo, Saxon and other peoples that have invaded that small country since time memorial.
You are so silly. My family came here in 1600s from scotland too and all my ancestors are scottish. but it is guarnteed that we both have a mix because you never know who those people married who married into your family. By the way it is gonna be very hard to be 100 percent scottish in canada.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
No. Most catholic families here have brown eyes.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I'm sure you know the history of your family but Ireland is a very blue eyed country. Hazel eyes would be more common than brown eyes. Brown eyes do occur and having your family with brown eyes wouldn't rule you out as British or Irish. The majority of Irish are blue eyed or some mixed eye colour like hazel/blue/green. Brown eyes are a minority.
You are wrong. Brown eyes are very common.

Most folk probably have blue eyes though in northern ireland. Its probably the oppostite in the southern and western parts.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You are wrong. Brown eyes are very common.

Most folk probably have blue eyes though in northern ireland. Its probably the oppostite in the southern and western parts.
Sorry Owen I have to disagree. There have been many surveys done in Ireland and it is the most blue eyed country in the British Isles. I'm from a completely Irish family myself and blue eyes are the majority.

Look up any survey on eye colouring and Ireland will show up as majorily blue eyed.

The Republic of Ireland is majority blue eyed and I don't believe there is any great difference between the people of Northern Ireland and the Republic despite Protestants coming from Scottish/English backgrounds.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,652,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Mine are hazely but more on the brown side. I am half English as well though, mostly from the South I believe so maybe that's why my family tends to be brown or hazel/green eyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World