Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Mine are hazely but more on the brown side. I am half English as well though, mostly from the South I believe so maybe that's why my family tends to be brown or hazel/green eyed.
The south of England has a higher percentage of brown eyes than Ireland but again you can't really tell where someone comes from due to eye colour. Irish people can definitely have brown eyes. Even Scandinavian people have brown eyes. It is just the further north you go in Europe the higher the percentage of blue eyes. It is mainly to do with the lack of sunshine.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I have lived/traveled in those countries, the dutch, scandinavians and germans (from lower saxony and other northern regions) are way blonder and taller than brits. Everywhere I went to britain, even eastern regions most people had brown and black hair and didnt look very nordic as a whole

Brits arent that much different from the (central/northern)french people (pigmentation wise), the only difference is that [b][/B]obviously the french are better looking. Germans have more natural blondes than brits (no doubt about it) let alones scandinavians, dutch, finns, etc.
Obviously! I would like to see some proof of this outrageous comment please!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You are so silly. My family came here in 1600s from scotland too and all my ancestors are scottish. but it is guarnteed that we both have a mix because you never know who those people married who married into your family. By the way it is gonna be very hard to be 100 percent scottish in canada.
You would be surprised just how insular a lot of the Scottish communities have been. My people came here in the 1840s and Never in my line anyway married a non Scot in 6 generations. The babyboomer generation pretty much ended that and I married a non Scot myself.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM

228 posts, read 367,501 times
I'd say Iceland

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
The palest-skinned people in the world are those from Northern Europe, especially British Isles and Scandinavian people. Due to higher ratios of ginger genes in the former and blonde genes in the latter.

British

Scandinavian

Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I can feel myself getting 'sucked in' to this thread!! I know what you are saying Bob but I think the amount of sunshine you get in Ireland is only a 'part of it', I think that a persons skin colour and skin tone probably has more to do with it? For example as a Scot Sean Connery never came accross as being particularly pale? Perhaps blond people are more pale skinned than brunettes but even then the skin tone of a blond varies a lot. I think the only thing you can say with some certainty is that red heads are pale skinned and therefore I think it likely that a red head in California will have paler skin than a brunette in Dublin despite the yearly difference in sunshine amounts, and because people of all hues are pretty mixed in this world it will be difficult to pinpoint the place in the world where the people are the palest people on earth.

True enough. I get asked all the time how can my ancestry be part Irish when I don't have red hair and freckles. It gets really tiresome. Generally the palest people on Earth though will be found in N. European countries and their former colonies. I never found East Asian people to be as pale as Caucasians.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
True enough. I get asked all the time how can my ancestry be part Irish when I don't have red hair and freckles. It gets really tiresome. Generally the palest people on Earth though will be found in N. European countries and their former colonies. I never found East Asian people to be as pale as Caucasians.
I came to Australia as a young child from Ireland. Australia has a very hot climate but I still have very pale, freckled Irish skin. My daughter a born and bred Aussie has the same skin. The Irish skin is very pale even on the brunets. There are exceptions of course but generally Irish do have extremely pale skin which doesn't tan very well.

A lot of other nationalities have the ability to take a nice tan in higher numbers than Irish. I think this is what sets the Irish and (British populations) apart. The inability to tan. My father was one of the lucky Irish who could tan and I always envied him and wished I inherited the ability to tan.

A lot of Aussies are descended from the British and Irish and it is no coincidence that the highest rates of skin cancer in the world are here. Australians now are much more sensible in the sun than the past and most people take precautions in the sun.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I came to Australia as a young child from Ireland. Australia has a very hot climate but I still have very pale, freckled Irish skin. My daughter a born and bred Aussie has the same skin. The Irish skin is very pale even on the brunets. There are exceptions of course but generally Irish do have extremely pale skin which doesn't tan very well.

A lot of other nationalities have the ability to take a nice tan in higher numbers than Irish. I think this is what sets the Irish and (British populations) apart. The inability to tan. My father was one of the lucky Irish who could tan and I always envied him and wished I inherited the ability to tan.

A lot of Aussies are descended from the British and Irish and it is no coincidence that the highest rates of skin cancer in the world are here. Australians now are much more sensible in the sun than the past and most people take precautions in the sun.

I cant tan to save my life , during our three week heat wave this summer , I went without a shirt for eight hours per day and still remained white as a sheet by the time the hot spell came to an end

pale skin is ugly ( ish )

Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I cant tan to save my life , during our three week heat wave this summer , I went without a shirt for eight hours per day and still remained white as a sheet by the time the hot spell came to an end

pale skin is ugly ( ish )

To you maybe, but certainly not everyone else.

Imagine if someone said the same thing you did and used "black" instead. Curious what the response on this forum would be. I think I have an idea.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The palest-skinned people in the world are those from Northern Europe, especially British Isles and Scandinavian people. Due to higher ratios of ginger genes in the former and blonde genes in the latter.

British

Scandinavian
Dont be ridiculous - only a tiny percentage of British people have that colouring!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World