U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,544,469 times

Advertisements

I saw a hot dog stand in Germany with a sign that says their hot dogs are "dick" (thick in German).
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM

1,073 posts, read 843,657 times
I remember that 20-30 years ago at the side area of Helsinki was "Rape baari" (Baari=bar).
Rape is here short/nick-name from mans name and this bar was just normal lunch-bar...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,373,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I saw a hot dog stand in Germany with a sign that says their hot dogs are "dick" (thick in German).
In German, 'Gift' means 'poison,' so all of the establishments in Pennsylvania Dutch country labeled 'Gift Haus' are rather alarming to actual Germans.

When my mom was studying in Berlin in the early 1960s, she tried to describe the 'mist' on the river but couldn't remember the German word , so she used the English one. 'Mist' means 'manure.'

Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
I remember that 20-30 years ago at the side area of Helsinki was "Rape baari" (Baari=bar).
Rape is here short/nick-name from mans name and this bar was just normal lunch-bar...
It's a lunch restaurant.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's a lunch restaurant.
Yep,thats it but I could not find picture.
It seems to be still on business.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM

7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Same language but different nationalities - in Australia 'thongs' apparently is a word they use for what Britain's would call 'flip flops (sandals that have that piece of material that passes between your big toe and 2nd toe) whereas in Britain 'thongs' are women's underwear that amount to not much more than a piece of string (hope you know what I mean). Imagine the look on the 'guides' face at Westminster Abbey when an Australian tourist asked if it would be OK to visit the Abbey wearing only 'thongs' :-)

Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Same language but different nationalities - in Australia 'thongs' apparently is a word they use for what Britain's would call 'flip flops (sandals that have that piece of material that passes between your big toe and 2nd toe) whereas in Britain 'thongs' are women's underwear that amount to not much more than a piece of string (hope you know what I mean). Imagine the look on the 'guides' face at Westminster Abbey when an Australian tourist asked if it would be OK to visit the Abbey wearing only 'thongs' :-)
That reminds me, the Dutch word for thong is string (an English loanword).

Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM

7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Interesting, what do the Dutch call the footwear that the British call 'flip-flops'?

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Interesting, what do the Dutch call the footwear that the British call 'flip-flops'?
Slippers (another English loanword)

Old 03-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
And that reminds me that because Finland have two official languages,Finnish and swedish, it happens once when I was working at harbour as an foreman and swedish ship came to the port, for loading timber.
Normally we speak english with ship crews but because it was swedish ship, I tought that maybe I will use swedish, for practising it little bit.
Timber is normally loading to the holds with slings and normally those slings are on holds, ready to lift to shore with crane before loading.
These loading slings are called "Stroppar" in swedish.
When I went to bridge, I noticed that there was quite nice woman as an mate or chief-officer and that was suprising me and because same time I was still thinking what language to use, I mixed letters and words quite badly....My first words to this woman was that "Good morning, before start loading, I need to have your strings to the shore"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World