U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times

Advertisements

Okay, so you very likely already know that Washington, D.C. is the center of American politics and is where President Obama lives for now. Right?

But did you know that:

- Washington, D.C. - Baltimore has a larger economy (GDP) than urban conglomerations such as Chicago, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, San Francisco Bay Area, Sydney, Toronto, Moscow, Singapore and Rome?

- Washington, D.C. is an alpha category top 10 global city?

- Maryland (yes, Maryland) is the highest income state in the U.S. and is more densely populated than New York state or California?

- Washington, D.C. has the largest museum complex in the world with museums that rank in the top 10 globally?

- Baltimore is the location where the United States national anthem was written?

- Washington, D.C. is the headquarters of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund?

- Washington, D.C. - Baltimore is ethnically diverse and has residents from practically every country in the world?

In spite of all this and much more, how often do you hear about the prominence of this area besides politics? Is this a bona fide case of a region in the world flying under the radar?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
As far as tourism goes DC doesn't seem high on people's radars here. Most flock to LA, SF, Vegas, Miami, NY. New York is the big one, while I think DC, Philly and Boston are seen as being more relevant to American history. Though a non-American I definitely felt the gravitas of being in the capital of the world's most powerful nation, but then again I have an interest in America many do not share.

Baltimore is basically not even considered though.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, so you very likely already know that Washington, D.C. is the center of American politics and is where President Obama lives for now. Right?

But did you know that:

- Washington, D.C. - Baltimore has a larger economy (GDP) than urban conglomerations such as Chicago, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, San Francisco Bay Area, Sydney, Toronto, Moscow, Singapore and Rome?

- Maryland (yes, Maryland) is the highest income state in the U.S. and is more densely populated than New York state or California?

- Washington, D.C. has the largest museum complex in the world with museums that rank in the top 10 globally?

- Baltimore is the location where the United States national anthem was written?

- Washington, D.C. is the headquarters of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund?

- Washington, D.C. - Baltimore is ethnically diverse and has residents from practically every country in the world?

In spite of all this and much more, how often do you hear about the prominence of this area besides politics? Is this a bona fide case of a region in the world flying under the radar?
You missed at least one more: Washington CSA has the top 3, and 9 of the top 13 wealthiest counties in the US (measured by median household income). A remarkable statistic.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times
Quote:

But did you know that:

People know about DC, but it's true that Baltimore and Maryland are rather obscure internationally. I think part of the reason this region is under the radar as you say is that much of the GDP of the region comes from federal government spending and enterprises that rely on or are in some way associated with the federal government. This means that the focus of the DC economy, although fairly large, is unusually domestic. Thus, their are fewer connections between this region and international centres than even a smaller cities like Miami and Seattle would have.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
People know about DC, but it's true that Baltimore and Maryland are rather obscure internationally. I think part of the reason this region is under the radar as you say is that much of the GDP of the region comes from federal government spending and enterprises that rely on or are in some way associated with the federal government. This means that the focus of the DC economy, although fairly large, is unusually domestic. Thus, their are fewer connections between this region and international centres than even a smaller cities like Miami and Seattle would have.
This is partly true. But I would argue that the U.S. government is pretty international in scope. The CIA, NSA, Pentagon, NASA and many other headquarters are here. The U.S. Patent Office - the largest in the world - receives hundreds of thousands of invention applications from foreign countries. Of course, there are embassies from all over the world here as well.

To give you an idea of just how international this area is, within 15 minutes driving distance from my home in Silver Spring, Maryland, I have access to non-chain restaurants with Thai, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Greek, Afghani, Japanese, Korean, Lebanese, Kosher, Caribbean, French, Russian, Argentinian, Bolivian, Peruvian, Salvadoran, Indonesian, Burmese, Brazilian, Persian, Ethiopian.. foods that I've only tried so far. This is all in Maryland and is not even counting DC proper or northern Virginia. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the range of nationalities in this area.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Almost never!

Mind I am sure much of the wealth generated in the D.C area comes from it being the home to the federal parliament. Its much more that just a coincidence that Canberra and Ottawa also happen to be per capita the richest cities in their respective countries, in my opinion.

Mind if i ever get to the USA, Washington D.C would be one of the first places on my list to visit, for its history.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-28-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Almost never!

Mind I am sure much of the wealth generated in the D.C area comes from it being the home to the federal parliament. Its much more that just a coincidence that Canberra and Ottawa also happen to be per capita the richest cities in their respective countries, in my opinion.

Mind if i ever get to the USA, Washington D.C would be one of the first places on my list to visit, for its history.
The US is not a parliamentary system so there's no parliament. Congress functions similarly though, except the most conspicuous thing is no president there!

I definitely recommend you visit DC. I was surprised. It's kind of a fun city, lots of great soul food there too.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,684,001 times
Isn't Balitmore right up there with Detroit and Philly for most dangerous city in the states East of St.Louis, Memphis and New Orleans?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
I'm not a fan of Baltimore or any cities even remotely like Baltimore but I like Washington DC because it's the complete opposite of Baltimore. However I can understand why someone may like cities like Baltimore or Philadelphia, they have their own different charms, just charms that don't register to me. I only go to Baltimore for seafood when I crave that otherwise I skip the place and just keep on driving till I get to New York and Northern New Jersey. I will say though, the smaller cities like Annapolis and Fredericksburg in this area are real cool, I really like this as well as the edge city suburbs like Roslyn, Bethesda, Tyson's Corner, and so on. Even having Baltimore nearby is a cool alternative, possibly go to a Ravens game and get some seafood and if you like cities like Baltimore then it's a real treat to be able to go between the two (Baltimore and Washington) at ease.

On the question of affluence:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...p-image-82.bmp

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 03-01-2013 at 02:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Isn't Balitmore right up there with Detroit and Philly for most dangerous city in the states East of St.Louis, Memphis and New Orleans?
Baltimore is an example of the wide contrasts in this region. The downtown and Inner Harbor are certainly nice. The port even has cruise ships to places like the Caribbean and Canada. There is a lot of interesting architecture, historical sites and good restaurants in Baltimore. A long time ago, Baltimore was one of the largest U.S. cities. It is the home of the prestigious Johns Hopkins University. Howard County - which is in the Baltimore area - is the most affluent county in Maryland. But at the same, many other parts of the Baltimore are run-down today and have a lot of cleaning up to do in terms of high crime rates and need to be gentrified. Of course, I don't recommend going to those places.

The wealth of the region is weighted towards Washington, D.C. and especially northern Virginia right now. In fact, if northern Virginia were a state by itself, it would be by far the most affluent in the U.S. The combined GDP of the Washington, D.C. - Baltimore area is almost 80% that of London or Paris areas. I invite people to visit this area and see what it has to offer - even in its natural beauty and surroundings. Revealing too many "secrets" on an internet forum is highly unsatisfying. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-01-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or