U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,813,182 times

Advertisements

I call BS on this whole thread. Take a 1000 white people from every country on earth, strip them naked, line them up randomly, and no one would be able to tell where they were from.

You'd have personal ideas of what you think a German looks like, and what an Irishman looks like, but you wouldn't pass the "Where are they from" test.

If Daniel Craig, Jude Law, Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, Hugh Grant, Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, James Franco, Til Schweiger, Vincent Cassel etc. were all sitting in a room, and all were speaking in a generic American sounding accent...No one would have any reason not to believe they weren't all red blooded, God fearing, git-r-done Americans.

If you can prove me wrong I'll kiss my own ass.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I call BS on this whole thread. Take a 1000 white people from every country on earth, strip them naked, line them up randomly, and no one would be able to tell where they were from.
What's the point of stripping all these people naked? lol

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM

12,094 posts, read 9,609,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
white Americans are mostly a coktail from a few northern European countries: England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, Scandinavians and some Northern Slavic. to which we can add Italians (who almsot form a sub-category among White Americans). That "cocktail" is unique and does not exist that way in Europe. That said, in France, I usually confuse American toursists with Germans or British ones. Their looks are not drastically different to me.

For me, I found Bill Clinton to have a quintessentially white American look.
http://srilankafoundation.com/wp-con...ton_square.jpg

To you maybe, but to someone that grew up here on the east coast he looked a little bit diff than the average guy in my region. Bill Clinton is Irish/English. His real name was Bill Blythe (father passed away before he was born). Many people in my region are mixed Italian,Irish,German and Polish.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have seen photos of people in Czechoslovakia (or whatever it is called these days), and I would fit in perfectly. Nobody would even suspect I was not born and raised there (except maybe the fact that I can't speak a word of the language).

20yrsinBranson

Same here. I went to Spain with a friend of mine from Philly (he is Irish/Italian American). Quite a few people in Spain swore up and down we were Spanish.

The OP in this thread is a load of hogwash. Some European looks at American tourists and claims that over 200M Americans of White European ancestry don't look anything like Europeans. I call bullsh...

I've been to Europe a number of times. I actually think we look more like Continental Europeans than British. Australians and Brits look quite similar to me. White Australians are overwhelmingly of British stock. Americans much less so with all the mixing. I know very few Americans that are of one exclusive Euro ethnicity.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Honestly, some of your posts are just the most ABSURD I have seen on this forum. They are completely laughable at times. So you know where most German immigrants to American came from, huh? You are correct, most immigrants from Germany did come from the West and Southwestern parts of Germany in the 19th century. Do you know why? Its because that was the most densely populated part of Germany!! Most Germans, even to this day, inhabit that region of Germany, even despite the area having so much emigration over the centuries.

THEREFOR! If most German Americans trace their roots to the west and south-west parts of Germany, then they must look VERY VERY German because that is where a dispoportionate amount of Germans live!

And please try to capitalize when necessary. My spell check is being bombarded by your lack of grammar. Ethnicities need to be capitalized. Example. british = wrong British = correct

Bravo to you. This thread is laughable and so subjective. Has the OP ever toured the US extensively enough to know how all 300M of us look?

There were German Catholic parishes in Philly where all the masses were in German. All those immigrants married with the Irish, Italians and Polish in the city. But I guess according to our dear Euro friend they weren't real Germans.

Somehow I think there is an underlying thought process going on with this poster that he/she won't come out and say. Something to the effect that we are not as "civilized" as Europeans. That is what I suspect.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,220,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I guess because Europeans and Americans tend to have a different style of fashion.

For some reason, I find it pretty easy to spot Europeans in a crowd and can usually even guess which country or region they come from, especially if they're Dutch like me. I don't know why this is because Northern Europeans (for example) don't look that different from each other. I think it's mostly body language and fashion. I find it much harder to do with pictures.

@Tom77falcons, the OP is South American, not European. We have our share of nutjobs but Don_Caballero is not one of them, lol.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No Americans are just over-confident.
And your over opinionated.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Most americans have predominantly a British Isle/Irish ancestry, self identification means nothing, most americans cant trace back family rooths further away than 3 generations back.

For americans its something like: (of predominantly not "pure" ancestry)= 60/65% british Isles/Ireland, 20% Germany, 5-10% Italian, 10% Rest (mainly french, polish or scandinavian).

Do you realize how much mixing there has been within all those groups? It is quite rare to come across an American here in my city that has just one Euro nationality. You are not an expert on Americans DNA.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,589,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am eating cereal was not a nice thing to read at 7 in the morning.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 AM

7,169 posts, read 6,020,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A lot of people I think also get their idea of what Americans look like from movie stars.
They don't know that Robert Redford, Gary Grant or John Wayne do not represent the majority of population, and same with average American model vs average American woman.

If you meant Cary Grant I believe he was English anyway? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or