U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,772,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't know, the places I've lived (New York and Massachusetts) have much more "Irish" than "Scots-Irish". I thinking Irish as in Irish Catholic tend to pay more attention to their hertiage than Scots-Irish, partly because the Scots-Irish arrived earlier and for historical reasons. I suspect many Scots-Irish might also label their hertiage as "American". Not sure.

In the Northeast US, the largest concentration of Germans are in Pennsylvania, dating back to the 18th century. Many kept speaking German till the early 1900s. Of the ones I've met, they tend not to have the stereotypical fair features of northern Europe; most arrived from Southern Germany. Most of my mom's ascentry is from Northern Germany and she has lighter features including blond hair, and as I said earlier the locals assumed she was Dutch, though of course some Dutch can have darker complexions, but the time I visited the Netherlands there were definitley many more blond haired people than the US. This article is interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/18/wo...s.3199975.html

Due to intermarriage, white Americans look different than they did 100 years ago.

About half of Americans born at the turn of the 20th century had blue eyes, according to a 2002 Loyola University study in Chicago. By mid-century that number had dropped to a third. Today only about one 1 of every 6 Americans has blue eyes, said Mark Grant, the epidemiologist who conducted the study.

And that sounds high; I suspect blue eyes is more common in parts of the country. Ditto with red "ginger" hair. It's very rare in the US, but not that uncommon in Britain. Enough that it's considered somewhat interestingly exotic. Intermarriage made it less common. Intermarriage between the various white ethnic groups didn't become the norm until the mid 20th century and still was less common then than today. 100 years from now, with more intermarriage between whites and non-whites (including white hispanic) America might look quite a bit different. I suspect there will be even stronger regional variation today; with many rural areas still remaining mostly completely white.

That blue eyes becoming rarer link appeared to get attention on websites link stormfront, which I assume was bothered by the idea.
Thanks for your answer. Interesting about blue eyes. I suppose it is because they are a recessive trait and there are more people coming into the US with brown eyes.

I have read that many Americans (especially in the South) have thought of themselves as Irish when they are in fact Scots-Irish. Also early immigration records in the US would list a person as Irish whether they were Protestant or Catholic as Ireland was all under the UK at that time. It just goes to show that people would have to research their ancestry if it is a bit distant.

The US does have a lot of German ancestry (despite what Don-Cab says). I remember my father telling me that the US could be speaking German if not for one vote but I've since read that this was a bit of a myth.

German the Official US Language?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Loughlin = Lochlainn = "From Norway"

obviously that was a long time ago.. and i only know that from reading about a sizable part of my family, the 'McLaughlins'

I agree. good post

genetically i have no idea if there is any difference, but culturally the Scots-Irish americans are very different from the Irish Catholic Americans.
Lol yes I forgot about Loughlin / McLaughlin. I didn't want to tell Don-Cab that Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford etc were all started up by the Vikings because I don't want to overstate any Scandinavian ancestry in the Irish. While I remember Don might like to know that Iceland is Scots and Irish on the female side. The Vikings took women from Ireland and the western isles of Scotland with them when they settled Iceland. Genetics have shown that Icelandic are overwhelmingly Gaelic on their mt-dna (inherited from the mother) and Norweigian on the y-dna (inherited from the father).

Surprisingly there is not much genetic difference between all the British Isles and both Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland have some Scottish roots. I'm sure Owen will disagree but there have been lots of genetics testing of the British Isles with more detailed information coming soon. The differences are definitely cultural.

Last edited by Bernie20; 03-08-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 AM

607 posts, read 1,958,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Don just for you Kelly O'Loughlin an Irish supporter from Euro 2012. Plenty more blonds like her. I think she is beautiful.
Most Irish girls dont look like that.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
How would you know? There are plenty of Irish girls who look like that and she isn't a model just an ordinary Dublin girl. I can post loads of them but I don't think other forumers would appreciate this thread being hijacked with pictures of blond Irish girls. Even if I did you would still deny that some Irish people are as blond as the rest of northern Europeans. Honestly you can't win with you.

I'm surprised you don't think she is ugly?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,584,116 times
Quote:
You dont live in ireland.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM

874 posts, read 968,505 times
Quote:
I've noticed that white americans as a bulk do not resemble in the very least the native ethnic europeans, a few look british/Irish but that is, most look just americans and It's not the accent or the dressing but the facial features, body types, etc.

For example Italians, spanish, southern french all have a similar type of looks which wouldnt be confused in the very least with the white american because they are more slender (usually slim) more often with darker hair and with more prominent noses, lot of white americans have puffier features which you rarely see in continental western europe.

Even the body of the women is different, the european women are way often more slender looking with more delicate features, longer extremities, and sharper features, specially women from western europe like belgium, france, holland, germany (specially the west),etc.

Eastern europeans are even more alien looking compared to your average white american crowd.

I do believe only the british/Irish sometimes can look sort of "american" but not alway , just some punctual cases.

What do you think about this?

I dont see george bush passing for french, dutch, german, italian, etc. Nort I Imagine hillary clinton being from any continental european country.
You answered your own question - Americans look "puffier" because Americans are, overall, fatter than Europeans.

Non-fat Americans can easily pass for Europeans in Europe. I have mostly Norwegian heritage, I look very Nordic. I went to Finland and Estonia last year and was mistaken for a local several times a day; tourists would come up to me asking directions and I would have to say "sorry, I'm actually not from around here" - and locals would come up to me and then be very surprised when I responded in English and not Finnish/Estonian/Swedish.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You dont live in ireland.
Too right Owen. You tell him.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

24,135 posts, read 38,883,622 times

"WHy do White americans look nothing like native europeans?" I would like to say I'm speechless. Instead I will say, this thread is closed...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-08-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or