U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM

7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
You might not accepting and tell us that Britain is "so mixed" (we know that!) with the whole world endlessly... But yes, there is a look that is specifically British. It is not because many people do not fit in it that this look do not exist. "Looks" are not a question of how each individual look (obviously people don't look the same way) but of the general impression that a groups of people made. "looks" are a question of statistics. I can spot a group of British tourists at 1km... if in a group of say 6 persons, only 1 or 2 have that typical British look, that is enough to know that they are not from France, since this look does not even exist here.

And your right, the clothes weared in Britain are also usually very different to those in France.

What is the typical British looks to me:

http://www.okmagazine.com/sites/okma...ry-stacked.jpg
http://www.elbakin.net/plume/xmedia/...nt-tintin.jpeg
http://p8.storage.canalblog.com/81/1...3/61236199.jpg
http://www.ninapeople.com/i/2010/11/39233_s.jpg
http://images.zap2it.com/images/celeb-182175/kelly-reilly-1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dRwDJbOL9k...ant01_1024.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K2DAqB8Szq...h_laurie15.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121208092547/harrypotter/images/b/b5/Children-s-BAFTA-2009-bonnie-wright-9268747-1788-2560.jpg
http://www.exaronews.com/system/file...g-Street_0.jpg
Etc...

To me all these poeople have quintessentially British looks. Please don't tell us again that your kids are "black" (or half "black" maybe) or that neighbours are Pakistanese looking British people; we already know prefectly that Britain has, like most other western European countries lot of people with origins from non-European immigration.
This is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read on here! There is NO BRITISH LOOK! Britain's are as different to each other as fingerprints! Yes even white Britains We DO NOT all have the same shape noses, faces, eyes or eyebrows, we do not have the same shaped heads, we do not have the same skin colour or skin tone, Britain's ARE not all the same size. Posting a picture of Harry Potter proves nothing, I could post pictures of 40 million + Britain's that look nothing like him, this ridiculous kind of claim that Britain's somehow look different from other people of this world is the sort of thinking thing that I thought had died out in Europe along with the Nazi's. At best I will say that (perhaps) you can tell the difference in mannerisms or the way people behave or dress but physically NO WAY!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Some Americans don't, I agree, bit there are many who look like Europeans. I am from the US and my dads family has been here since 1850s and my moms since the 1930s. I get mistaken as someone from Europe or middle east by people from those countries all the time. Even when I'm in those countries, people think I am a local.

I mean realistically, unless your family is breeding with way different than what it is, then 150 years in another country isn't going to drastically change your genetics and how you look in regards to thousands of years

You would be surprised at how many Americans are like this in this regard.
One of my friends who's Chinese-American took me out to dinner with her dad, who's a Chinese diplomat to the Philippines... he was studying my face very closely, and then said, "you don't look like an American. You have a very... CLASSICAL face!" My friend conversed with her dad for a moment, and then she explained, "he means that you have a very, uh, European-looking face, like you see in portraits of royalty."

And then he enthused, "like... NAPOLEON!"

I had a Chinese-American ex tell me the same thing; "you don't look very American. You look Swedish or Norwegian." And on that note, when I was in the UK, I had Swedish, Norwegian, German, and Dutch tourists speak to me in their languages. A lot of Russians, too...

In a nutshell, I'm a mix of Swedish, German, and Asian, the former two having won out. Ultimately, I just look like a big Viking raider.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM

600 posts, read 715,555 times
How do you explain Australians then, we're probably more ethnically or racially British and Irish than Americans yet we look nothing like the Brits/Irish we're much better looking in general.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
How do you explain Australians then, we're probably more ethnically or racially British and Irish than Americans yet we look nothing like the Brits/Irish we're much better looking in general.
I take it you're joking! :-)

Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM

17,990 posts, read 17,140,226 times
I think there is an British look. Not the way they actually look, but in mannerisms and facial expressions. Usually in photos they are more alert looking or vivacious while the Americans tend to look more relaxed and laid back, sometimes almost slovenly. The British almost seem to have a little nervous edge to them. (I like it.)

Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
I have seen photos of people in Czechoslovakia (or whatever it is called these days), and I would fit in perfectly. Nobody would even suspect I was not born and raised there (except maybe the fact that I can't speak a word of the language).

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think there is an British look. Not the way they actually look, but in mannerisms and facial expressions. Usually in photos they are more alert looking or vivacious while the Americans tend to look more relaxed and laid back, sometimes almost slovenly. The British almost seem to have a little nervous edge to them. (I like it.)
Maybe there are some differences in mannerisms between different nationalities or differences in dress or weight but no physical differences whatsoever (apart from the differences between different races)

Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,487,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
Well Austrailans are better looking than Brits/Irish under 30 years old, yet over 30 years old Brits/Irish look better and they age more gracefully.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:38 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
One of my friends who's Chinese-American took me out to dinner with her dad, who's a Chinese diplomat to the Philippines... he was studying my face very closely, and then said, "you don't look like an American. You have a very... CLASSICAL face!" My friend conversed with her dad for a moment, and then she explained, "he means that you have a very, uh, European-looking face, like you see in portraits of royalty."

And then he enthused, "like... NAPOLEON!"

I had a Chinese-American ex tell me the same thing; "you don't look very American. You look Swedish or Norwegian." And on that note, when I was in the UK, I had Swedish, Norwegian, German, and Dutch tourists speak to me in their languages. A lot of Russians, too...

In a nutshell, I'm a mix of Swedish, German, and Asian, the former two having won out. Ultimately, I just look like a big Viking raider.
That's funny. I think people are too swayed by what they see on TV. I think that even some of the "hick" Americans could easily pass from another country if they dressed differently (and a few maybe lost some weight). Facial wise again, if your ancestors came from some country 150 years ago and you've been breeding with people from a similar area of the world for those 150 years...that's not enough time for you to drastically look different from where your ancestors lived for thousands of years.

Last time when I was in Turkey, I had people all the time thinking I was a local. When I went into a shop with my friends once, the guy's English wasn't very great, and he turned to me and started speaking in Turkish. I know Turkish but not fluent, and he's like "oh sorry, I thought you were tour guide." I had another guy, as I was getting a shoe shine and speaking English to my friend, ask where I was from then proceed to tell me I was lying when I said the US and said "no, you are from Turkey..no no..Turkey." Even in the US, my friend from Saudi Arabia said the first time he saw me, he thought I was Lebanese and almost spoke in Arabic to me. I've had people from Palestine do the same thing at stores, Italians come up to me speaking Italian, Greeks speak Greek to me. When I was in Puerto Rico, everyone spoke Spanish first thing to me. It's hilarious..I should work for the CIA. I can blend in so many places it's not even funny.

The reality is that there's many Americans like this. I think people who believe most Americans don't look extremely European (apart from dress) would be surprised in a few cities here.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:38 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
For me white americans are almost like a different race from ethnic europeans, specially compared to continental europeans/scandinavians.
Then you are kind of full of nonsense (as are most of your absurd posts regarding what you think most people around the world look like). Where do you think our ancestors came from, if not Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or