U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

There is so many generalized city vs. city topics recently, so time to focus on more localized, exact, specific areas of cities and places.

What are your favorite, most loved neighborhoods in various cities all over the World that inspire you, where you feel very enthusiastic, and impressed with those neighborhoods that has a happy, satisfying, intriguing kind of energy and activity.

Also, what are your least favorite, most hated neighborhoods that discourage you, and having a melancholic, tense, or boring vibe that is to avoid.

Of course have the optimism, respectful, positive opinions come before the pessimism and negative opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
I’ll just say some of those neighborhoods in the 2 cities I lived in up to now and say what I enjoy about those neighborhoods in another post.

Favorite neighborhoods in Seattle: Capitol Hill, Downtown, University District, Ballard, Queen Anne, West Seattle, Wallingford, Fremont. Favorite neighborhoods in New York: Williamsburg, East Village, Upper West Side, Midtown, Tribeca, Park Slope.

Least favorite neighborhoods in Seattle: Lake City, White Center, Columbia City. Least favorite neighborhoods in New York: South Bronx Fordham, Tremont, Morrisania, East Bushwick, Canarsie, Harlem.

I also know these cities: Vancouver, Portland, Montreal, Paris, London, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Lyon, Nice, Madrid, Vienna, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Singapore, Taipei, Melbourne, Buenos Aires, and Chicago have a lot of my favorite neighborhoods.

However. I mostly just know the street areas, and not all of the guaranteed exact neighborhood area names for that, so I’ll just research it a bit, look it up, and say all of those favorite neighborhoods in those cities in a later post.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM

14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
Little five points, Atlanta

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...X1MIPyyAG8j4EY

Kenningston Market, Toronto

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...A7CPyAGDl4HIDg

Los Angeles Fashion District

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...mg.HW-zXInFpTY

Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Camden, London
City Centre, Glasgow
Royal Mile, Edinburgh
Bacvice, Split
Trastevere, Rome

Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
I'll just start with Australia. If you ever come Downunder, the best nabes imo:

Perth - Fremantle, Perth
Adelaide - Adelaide, North Adelaide, Brighton, Mitcham
Melbourne - Melbourne, Carlton, Fitzroy, Southbank, South Yarra, Prahran, Took, Camberwell
Sydney - Sydney, Surry Hills, Darling Harbour, King's Cross (some parts), Potts Point, Glebe, Balmain, Bondi, Newtown, Manly
Brisbane - Brisbane, South Bank, Paddington, Mt Coot-tha
Hobart - Much of the historic inner core

Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 AM

22,858 posts, read 64,900,746 times
I haven´t travelled much but, Vasastan in Stockholm is my kind of neighbourhood.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM

2,252 posts, read 2,451,528 times
Great topic.

A few of my favorite neighborhoods around the world... these places are really special.

New York: Greenwich Village, Soho, Nolita, Cobble Hill, Williamsburg
London: Shoreditch, Marelybone, Covent Garden, Angel/Islington
Tokyo: Harajuku
Madrid: La Latina, Huertas, Salamanca
Barcelona: El Born, El Raval, Gracia
Berlin: Prenzlauer Burg
Buenos Aires: Palermo
Mexico City: Condesa
Melbourne: St Kilda

Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,749,666 times
My favorites, pretty much in order from the cities I know best to those I know just enough to have a favorite neighborhood. I don't really want to think about/list the places I don't like.

Quebec City: St-Jean-Baptiste
Pittsburgh: Regent Square, Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, Squirrel Hill
Montreal: Mile End, Outremont, NDG
Buffalo: Elmwood Village
NYC: Brooklyn Heights, Greenwich Village
Toronto: Kensington Market, The Annex, High Park
Paris: Belleville (20e), La butte-aux-cailles (13e), Enfants-Rouges (3e)
Ljubljana: Old Town

Boston: Back Bay
Philly: Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill
DC: Logan Circle
Chicago: Roscoe Village, Lincoln Park
Cincinnati: Mt. Adams
Cleveland: Ohio City
Columbus: Short North
San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter
LA: Larchmont Village, Venice

Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM

582 posts, read 954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Great topic.

A few of my favorite neighborhoods around the world... these places are really special.

New York: Greenwich Village, Soho, Nolita, Cobble Hill, Williamsburg
London: Shoreditch, Marelybone, Covent Garden, Angel/Islington
Tokyo: Harajuku
Madrid: La Latina, Huertas, Salamanca
Barcelona: El Born, El Raval, Gracia
Berlin: Prenzlauer Burg
Buenos Aires: Palermo
Mexico City: Condesa
Melbourne: St Kilda
Are you originally from New York City? How long have you lived in New York for?

I am just curious because most native New Yorkers like myself detest the neighborhood of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Williamsburg is a nice neighborhood and is very unique but it turned into nothing but a bunch of rich transplants living off their parents trust fund.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Actually, just did a quick google search and majority of the people living in slums in Buenos Aires are from bordering countries (mostly paraguayans, bolivians and peruvians), and this goes up to 64% in the slum you are mentioning :O. So maybe you were being ironic.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1301797-h...-en-las-villas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World