U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,789,138 times

Advertisements

In some cultures, parents are affectionate with children until a late age; perhaps Mexican culture is a good example. In others, such as many Asian cultures, parents are less expressive with children.

How does your culture fit into the spectrum? For example, is it strange for parents and children hug daily? Do parents tuck their children into bed until a late age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM

798 posts, read 1,334,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In some cultures, parents are affectionate with children until a late age; perhaps Mexican culture is a good example. In others, such as many Asian cultures, parents are less expressive with children.

How does your culture fit into the spectrum? For example, is it strange for parents and children hug daily? Do parents tuck their children into bed until a late age?
What is late age?

When our children where younger (maybe until 7 ???) one of us used to lie down with them in their bed and read them a story at bedtime, often cuddling in bed and falling asleep together...), but some time afterwards they preferred to go to bed themselves. No daily hugging nowadays, but still some occasional body contact, which gets less and less around and after puberty.

When watching American movies parents always say to their children "I love you" and vice versa, often when they go to bed, on the phone or at other occasions. Do all Americans really do this all the time? Germans don't and, as far as I know, Brits don't do this either.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,789,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
What is late age?

When our children where younger (maybe until 7 ???) one of us used to lie down with them in their bed and read them a story at bedtime, often cuddling in bed and falling asleep together...), but some time afterwards they preferred to go to bed themselves. No daily hugging nowadays, but still some occasional body contact, which gets less and less around and after puberty.

When watching American movies parents always say to their children "I love you" and vice versa, often when they go to bed, on the phone or at other occasions. Do all Americans really do this all the time? Germans don't and, as far as I know, Brits don't do this either.
I can't speak for every parent out there, but yes, my mother says she loves me and my sister at every fitting occasion. This is normal as far as I know; however, there are less affectionate families where it is not common to say "I love you".

Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

15,702 posts, read 18,277,529 times
My children came inside my arms very shortly after each of them were born. I'm going to be hugging and clasping my children for as long as I'm living on this earth. I don't care what anybody thinks.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,123,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
What is late age?

I would assume this depends on the family and even individuals. In my Anglophone Canadian family my mother told me she loved me every day, my father did not, but that didn't means he didn't let me know in a million other ways. I think my own mother was over compensating because her conservative Dutch immigrant parents never told her that and there was probably something of the zeitgeist of the boomer generation that taught people that it was important for your soul and your relationship to articulate such things. TBH, I'm not sure what other parents and children did or do in their homes as far as such things go, I realize my knowledge of such things is surprisingly limited to a my own upbringing and a very few other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or