U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
 
2,818 posts, read 5,159,563 times
Reputation: 3758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Funny you left out economy, a category LA pulverizes Barca in. 20% unemployment?! There's a ringing endorsement for the super-dense, walkable metropolis, eh?
Barca is a football team. How can a football team have its own unemployment rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Europe
218 posts, read 210,579 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Barca is a football team. How can a football team have its own unemployment rate?
Barca is a boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,002,107 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Barca is a football team. How can a football team have its own unemployment rate?
Is it really that hard for you to understand he is talking about the city of Barcelona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Europe
218 posts, read 210,579 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it really that hard for you to understand he is talking about the city of Barcelona?
No but what he did was like calling saying Yankees when you mean New York as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,671 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Reputation: 24223
I've been to both. If I were to go back to one, I would pick Barcelona in a heart beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it really that hard for you to understand he is talking about the city of Barcelona?
They're skirting around the main point (Spain's dreadful economy) with their nitpicking. FC Barcelona is probably what's keeping that city from imminent collapse, maybe they should get their own unemployment rate.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-21-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
 
10,290 posts, read 12,415,948 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Funny you left out economy, a category LA pulverizes Barca in. 20% unemployment?! There's a ringing endorsement for the super-dense, walkable metropolis, eh?
I didn't leave out any criteria that the OP posted about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 PM
 
2,818 posts, read 5,159,563 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
They're skirting around the main point (Spain's dreadful economy) with their nitpicking. FC Barcelona is probably what's keeping that city from imminent collapse, maybe they should get their own unemployment rate.
No, you're skirting around the OP's criteria towards national economy because you know LA would lose out in most of categories, and your sole purpose on these boards seem to be acting as LA's white knight whenever you feel her honor has been smudged. You remind me of Don Quixote challenging to a duel any passer by who refused to state that Dulcinea was the most beautiful lady in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,252 posts, read 2,454,468 times
Reputation: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
No, you're skirting around the OP's criteria towards national economy because you know LA would lose out in most of categories, and your sole purpose on these boards seem to be acting as LA's white knight whenever you feel her honor has been smudged. You remind me of Don Quixote challenging to a duel any passer by who refused to state that Dulcinea was the most beautiful lady in the world.
This post made me chuckle. So true. The reality is that Barcelona is a tough match-up for any city as it has very few imperfections (economy being one of them but that's a function of the broader macroeconomic conditions that have been plaguing Spain (and Europe) -- even though Catalonia is one of its top performing regions). In a straight-up "city vs city" match-up against LA, Barcelona makes an almost clean sweep so it is no surprise that a diehard LA booster will try to drag economy into the conversation to score some points for LA. It's pretty desperate. Yes LA no doubt has a stronger economy (at the moment) than Barcelona. So does Houston. And Atlanta. And maybe even Tulsa, Oklahoma. So? Of course one would rather be employed and prosperous in LA than unemployed and destitute in Barcelona, but that would be true of any two cities. So not sure what bearing that has on a "city vs city" comparison. If you are looking to move to one of these cities and you don't have a job lined up then yes. Otherwise, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
No, you're skirting around the OP's criteria towards national economy because you know LA would lose out in most of categories, and your sole purpose on these boards seem to be acting as LA's white knight whenever you feel her honor has been smudged. You remind me of Don Quixote challenging to a duel any passer by who refused to state that Dulcinea was the most beautiful lady in the world.
LA has a case to take five of the categories listed, no one is skirting around anything honestly. I find it highly amusing that "economy" isn't a listed as a category but "history" is.

Quote:
This post made me chuckle. So true. The reality is that Barcelona is a tough match-up for any city as it has very few imperfections (economy being one of them but that's a function of the broader macroeconomic conditions that have been plaguing Spain (and Europe) -- even though Catalonia is one of its top performing regions). In a straight-up "city vs city" match-up against LA, Barcelona makes an almost clean sweep so it is no surprise that a diehard LA booster will try to drag economy into the conversation to score some points for LA. It's pretty desperate. Yes LA no doubt has a stronger economy (at the moment) than Barcelona. So does Houston. And Atlanta. And maybe even Tulsa, Oklahoma. So? Of course one would rather be employed and prosperous in LA than unemployed and destitute in Barcelona, but that would be true of any two cities. So not sure what bearing that has on a "city vs city" comparison. If you are looking to move to one of these cities and you don't have a job lined up then yes. Otherwise, no.
You're dreaming if you think it's a clean sweep. Does Barcelona have anywhere near the diversity in dining options of LA? Is it as culturally influential? How's its live music scene? Contemporary art scene? Symphony orchestra? You know, cultural things? Los Angeles wins that category and you know it. Beaches and natural beauty could easily go to LA. Lol @ economy having no bearing, it's one of the main topics on city-data, after curb cuts and transit. You know damn well if Barcelona had the better economy you and the other "live vicariously" types would be tooting that horn to no end. Barcelona wins on urbanity, transit, architecture, and the extremely relevant category of history. I'll give it that.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-23-2014 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top