U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:53 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,002,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Los Angeles isn't the third wealthiest city in the world.
$700 plus billion GDP... placing it in 3rd place behind New York and Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Rich for who though

See that's one of LA's problems - unequal distribution of wealth.

Not a pro but a con in my book.
Unequal distribution of wealth, meh not that bad.

American FactFinder - Results *

That's for Los Angeles County i couldnt just find one for the city.

Guess we can compare LA country to Catalonia
(or is Catalonia really poor outside Barcelona?)

Idescat. Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia. Households. By income brackets

Idescat. Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia. Average annual net income of households
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,736,414 times
Yeah because South Central, Compton and the like share the wealth!

Spain's economy is in tatters yet they still don't let huge swathes of there population fall into extreme poverty, there's poverty in Spain but not anywhere like America's cities. Richest country on earth and still has worse poverty than most western counntries.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,049,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
$700 plus billion GDP... placing it in 3rd place behind New York and Tokyo.
GDP is meaningless unless you take population size and GDP per capita into account.

Anyways Los Angeles isn't even the third wealthiest urban area in the US, let alone the entire world.

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 AM

14,805 posts, read 17,002,107 times
Quote:

Spain's economy is in tatters yet they still don't let huge swathes of there population fall into extreme poverty, there's poverty in Spain but not anywhere like America's cities. Richest country on earth and still has worse poverty than most western counntries.
Okay?

Anyways so the poor in Barcelona live better off than the poor in L.A but the wealthy and the middle class live better off than the wealthy and middle class in Barcelona.
Better off meaning they are making more money.

Barcelona has better architecture, history, public transportation.
Los Angeles is more rich, successful and well known.

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 03-25-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,188,554 times
if this is asking whether i prefer LA or Barcelona, my vote goes to LA.. Period.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

12,096 posts, read 9,618,988 times
Quote:
Rich for who though

See that's one of LA's problems - unequal distribution of wealth.

Not a pro but a con in my book.

Unequal distribution of wealth is pretty much the hallmark of the entire US, not just LA. Just about every travel account by Europeans that I read mentions how stark the diff between rich and poor in the US. Our govt will never address this cause we are the greatest nation on earth, lol.

Barcelona is heads and shoulders above LA in my book. I went there for 10 days in 2005 and had a fantastic time. The amenities on the beach were great, the food amazing, Gaudi, nightlife, history, culture, etc. etc. Beautiful European city.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM

12,096 posts, read 9,618,988 times
Quote:

Yes we do. If you want to see what a corporatist ultra capitalist country looks like, come to the US. Extreme wealth is shoved into the face of the poor here everyday with the gross over extravagence of the super wealthy.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
GDP is meaningless unless you take population size and GDP per capita into account.

Anyways Los Angeles isn't even the third wealthiest urban area in the US, let alone the entire world.

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Los Angeles MSA has 28% the population of Spain, but 60% of its economy.

By virtually all metrics it has the third largest GDP in the world. Impressive considering that LA draws a lot of poor immigrants and "dollar and a dream" types.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM

20,167 posts, read 21,767,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Okay?

Anyways so the poor in Barcelona live better off than the poor in L.A but the wealthy and the middle class live better off than the wealthy and middle class in Barcelona.
Better off meaning they are making more money.

Barcelona has better architecture, history, public transportation.
Los Angeles is more rich, successful and well known.
Middle class in general seems to do better in Barcelona as well. Wealthy get heavy taxes though.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,049,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The Los Angeles MSA has 28% the population of Spain, but 60% of its economy.

By virtually all metrics it has the third largest GDP in the world. Impressive considering that LA draws a lot of poor immigrants and "dollar and a dream" types.
I was not comparing the economy of Barcelona to Los Angeles, I was disputing the earlier posters claim that Los Angeles was the second richest metro area in the world (keep in mind GDP is meaningless as a statistic, otherwise Brazil would be considered to be a wealthier country than Denmark which is obviously not the case in real life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or