U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,534,340 times

Advertisements

Some great cities look 'dumpier' than some 'prettier' cities.

Shoot, I have had more fun and friendship in a Scottish council estate than in a manicured Swiss burg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 AM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Do you agree with any critique of the USA iNviNciBL3?
Not many people know that i was born in Southern California and the American West/Western Canada is my favorite region in the world.
I never see you in the US/City v City forum but people there also talk mad sh.t about L.A.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 7,496,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I think first hand experience trumps Google street view? I've been to Barcelona and I live in Los Angeles. I love both cities. Los Angeles is not a dump compared to Barcelona, it's just different. Maybe if you've been to each city instead of just utilizing Google, you would understand my question.
I have been to both cities and Los Angeles is a dump by comparison. LA is a let down from the moment one leaves the airport. But, not everyone in City-Data have been to both, for many all there is is Google Street View, hence the importance of this tool whenever city-vs-city threads pop up. Unfortunately, some don't even know how to use Google Street View and it shows!

Not only do I continue to put in doubt your claim to know how to use Google Street View (the reasons are obviously on display in your previous posts), but I also doubt you have ever been to Barcelona. The average income of where you live is seriously below the average income of US American tourists abroad. This difference is HUGE! I'm not saying its impossible, just highly unlikely. Average HH income of US tourists abroad: $105,900 vs average HH income in zip code 90044: slightly below $30,000 and the LA Metro area is very expensive which hints that you guys in your neck of the woods are rather on the low side of things. I repeat, I think you are BSing on your new claim too.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-05-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM

854 posts, read 757,349 times
Never been to either one, so my perception is purely based on what I've seen in the media.

Culture > Barcelona
Food > Probably LA
Diversity > LA
Urbanity > Barcelona
Transit > LA for car oriented people, Barcelona for pedestrians.
Beaches > No idea
Natural beauty > Probably both, no idea really.
History > Everyplace has a history on its own kind.
Architecture > Barcelona

Which city would you rather visit? Live?
I'd probably visit Barcelona and Live in LA, tough I won't mind the opposite.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Not sure why so much vitriol is thrown in LA's direction. Is it really that horrible of a city?
LA's actually a really awesome city. It's kind of funny though... most people go to a big city and see the big tourist traps, and come away thinking that's how life there is... i.e., all of NYC is glamorous neon lights and high culture, all of Boston is historically significant and charming, all of SF is sophisticated and mellow. For a city who built its name on entertainment, LA's tourist-geared areas are spread fairly far out from one another. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica/Venice are not close to one another and require a drive. The drive from Hollywood to BH is about four miles and those four miles can take 20-30 minutes in traffic, and the drive from BH to Santa Monica is another seven or eight miles on top of that and will take you 30-50 minutes in traffic.

So the irony is that for everyone's lamenting that LA isn't "authentic," a lot of this opinion is in part because it's not built to cater to tourists... when you live in LA, you figure out your own commute, you figure out where to live relative to what you want to do, and just like anywhere else you live your life. The only downside to life in LA that I ever felt was the lack of subways out into the West Side, but they're building light rail out there now and there's already one line open.

LA is also one of the US' most visible cities, right up there with NYC and DC, and all of them for different reasons. The more people whose eyes are on you, the more criticisms they had. It became verboten to criticize NYC after 9/11; before 9/11, NYC was probably the most criticized city in the US, and then LA took its place. Whereas when I was a kid in the 80's and 90's, LA was the cool city that all the cool kids wanted to move to, now, it's fairly cool to declare that you think LA "sucks" because it's "shallow." Whenever I had friends or family visit me in LA, they always came away from it with a totally changed opinion of the place, because I took them to the LA that I lived in, and knew, and loved.

There's a good chance I'll be back someday

Old 09-09-2014, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 802 times
Barcelona stands literally on the beach, you don't have to drive there. Barceloneta is the city beach like we could say for example Venice for LA. But you need a long drive to Venice or yes you can get a bus as i did but...GOOD LUCK! It will be a never ending journey. But said this, i love both cities and i will just get a car once im in LA and just use my foot when in Barcelona.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
Culture - Barcelona
Food - Los Angeles
Diversity - Los Angeles
Urbanity - Barcelona
Transit - Barcelona
Beaches - Barcelona
Natural beauty - Barcelona
History - Barcelona
Architecture - Barcelona

I'd rather visit Barcelona, but live in LA because they speak English and their culture would be more familiar to us.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,533,904 times
Barcelona is a dump because tourists, just like Berlin. Barcelona was beautiful before the Olympics of 92'. Tourists are like vermin, they have closed down all good bars and restaurants and transformed them into tourist traps with fake tapas and 10 dollar beers.

Seedy and fun streets like Robadors are not seedy anymore, even the Boqueria Market, the flagship market, is now packed with tourist taking pics of fruits, greenery, fish...and local can't shop or eat at their stands, like the famous Pinocho, because there are rows and rows of tourists.

Never been to LA, but I hate places were you can't walk to go to places and that you can't depend on public transportation.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 AM

5,945 posts, read 3,066,303 times
Never been to LA, but Barcelona has nude beaches !

so, for the beach, Barcelona > LA.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM

11,378 posts, read 7,830,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Barcelona is a dump because tourists, just like Berlin. Barcelona was beautiful before the Olympics of 92'. Tourists are like vermin, they have closed down all good bars and restaurants and transformed them into tourist traps with fake tapas and 10 dollar beers.

Seedy and fun streets like Robadors are not seedy anymore, even the Boqueria Market, the flagship market, is now packed with tourist taking pics of fruits, greenery, fish...and local can't shop or eat at their stands, like the famous Pinocho, because there are rows and rows of tourists.

Never been to LA, but I hate places were you can't walk to go to places and that you can't depend on public transportation.
Yikes…you just reminded me that I haven't been to Barcelona since 1991 ! If what you say is true, then that's sad.
I remember loving Barcelona, the cold Estrella Damm being sold on the street. I do remember thinking it was very inexpensive..same with the fabulous food I had.
There were tourists there of course, I was one, but it didn't feel overrun.

L.A., a city I also know…I'll be heading there again in October, is hard to describe in many ways. Yes a car is essential, yes it's sprawling etc. However there are pockets that are quite nice and enjoyable. Paul Getty museum is a must. I also enjoy Old Pasadena.

Of the two, for tourists, both offer a lot. For living? I would choose Barcelona. This is for someone who doesn't have to work. Working opportunities most likely differ greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or