U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 12,394 times

Advertisements

Two amazing, unique and world class cities here.

Compare and contrast them in terms of

Culture
Food
Diversity
Urbanity
Transit
Beaches
Natural beauty
History
Architecture
Which city would you rather visit? Live?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Culture - Barcelona
Food - Tie
Diversity - LA
Urbanity - Barcelona
Transit - Barcelona
Beaches - Tie
Natural beauty - LA
History - Barcelona
Architecture - Barcelona

I've visited LA and would love to visit Barcelona. I guess actually LA because of my interest in 20th century pop culture. I'd live in LA because of the practicality of it being English speaking but if I lived anywhere in Europe Barcelona might be it.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Culture - Barcelona
Food - Tie
Diversity - LA
Urbanity - Barcelona
Transit - Barcelona
Beaches - Tie
Natural beauty - LA
History - Barcelona
Architecture - Barcelona

I've visited LA and would love to visit Barcelona. I guess actually LA because of my interest in 20th century pop culture. I'd live in LA because of the practicality of it being English speaking but if I lived anywhere in Europe Barcelona might be it.
Whoa, whoa now let's hold up here trimac. I would not automatically give urbanity to Barcelona. LA is one of the densest places on the planet. LA has an an amazing bus system, lots of walkable neighborhoods and of course all of the beaches are walkable. It's too close too call

And for history.... LA has Hollywood, history with Mexico and their reason for booming is to supply u.s troops with weaponry during the Cold War. Also, the growth boom is because everyone wanted to strike it rich looking for gold. Ever seen the movie City Slickers? LA is filled with history, it's another close one.

Did you eat at a lot of restaurants on your LA visit? Was it high quality?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzwaukeean View Post
Whoa, whoa now let's hold up here trimac. I would not automatically give urbanity to Barcelona. LA is one of the densest places on the planet. LA has an an amazing bus system, lots of walkable neighborhoods and of course all of the beaches are walkable. It's too close too call

And for history.... LA has Hollywood, history with Mexico and their reason for booming is to supply u.s troops with weaponry during the Cold War. Also, the growth boom is because everyone wanted to strike it rich looking for gold. Ever seen the movie City Slickers? LA is filled with history, it's another close one.

Did you eat at a lot of restaurants on your LA visit? Was it high quality?
Lol well you asked us to compare. I'm pretty sure if you compare Barcelona city with LA city limits, let alone the two metro areas, Barcelona would be considerably more dense.

Yes, actually history is close: subjectively I'm more interested in LA's history actually (love pop music, movies.etc) but Barcelona has over 2,000 years of history from Roman times. Culturally Hollywood is possibly the most influential city on Earth.

Yeah ate a lot of yummy Mexican, cheap but good. Had a kind of average Thai meal, and had Philly cheesesteak at a place at Santa Monica. Japanese food at Little Tokyo was really good. Sampled a lot of fast food too like In'n'Out burger.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Los Angeles.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Barcelona. LA doesn't interest me. San Francisco and San Diego appeal more.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,596 times
Culture: Los Angeles (Hollywood)
Food: Barcelona (I love Spanish food)
Diversity: Los Angeles
Urbanity: Barcelona
Transit: Barcelona
Beaches: Los Angeles
Natural Beauty: Los Angeles
History: Barcelona
Architecture: Barcelona (Gaudí)
Visit: Los Angeles (been twice to Barcelona already)
Live: Los Angeles if I had lots of money, otherwise Barcelona.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,684,001 times
Barcelona wins in every category except Food and Diversity.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM

614 posts, read 1,197,803 times
Well I live in LA but absolutely love Barcelona as well...

Culture- tie
Food - Los Angeles
Diversity - Los Angeles
Urbanity - Barcelona
Transit*- Barcelona
Beaches -Los Angeles
Natural beauty -Los Angeles
History - Barcelona
Architecture - Barcelona
Which city would you rather visit? Live? Love living in LA but would never turn down a chance to live in Barcelona for a while. Long term- LA

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
I've been to Los Angeles 3 times and Barcelona 0 times. Yet, Barcelona interests me significantly more. I'm really big on history and cultural experience. And Europe just interests me more in general.

That's pretty much all I have to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or