U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,494,121 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Papua New Guinea? If you have not would you like to go there? In addition what do you know about the country? It a country I don't know much and I never have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM

10,293 posts, read 11,707,404 times
There are at least 100 countries in the world that i would visit before even thinking about Papua New Guinea.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,494,121 times
Well Port Moresby is the Capital of Paupa New Guinea and if people hear stories about it it is dangerous. Yet according to Lonely Planet guide it states about that city:
Port Moresby can be a dangerous place, but it’s not the hell on earth that many who’ve never been here make it out to be. The vast majority of visitors to Port Moresby leave unscathed, and if you use your common sense, you should be fine.

Read more: Practical travel information on Health in Port Moresby - Lonely Planet Travel Information

Yet the article warns that travellers not to walk out in the streets in that city at night and also avoid certain neighbourhoods during the day.

In addition Lonely Planet claims that the Australian media exegerates on the level of crime there.

If you believed the hype then you’d never go and you’d never understand that Melanesians are by nature among the most gentle, hospitable and generous people in the world. While urban drift has undoubtedly caused ‘law and order’ issues, it’s not like the Wild West where gun-law rules and stepping outside is to put your life in danger. That’s just the perception perpetuated by a lazy Australian media, which provides this region’s information to international media. The Australian media doesn’t report on any feel-good, warm-and-fuzzy stories from this part of the world.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/papua-ne...#ixzz2MTpMtkcT

Lonely Planet is the bible for backpackers around the world. If Lonely Planet can claim that the level of dangers is exeragated then it is

Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,992,432 times
I only thought of going until a good mate got transferred by the Australian government from Manila to POM. I've been reading up.. would like to go to Madang and spend as little time in Port Mobey as possible..

Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,401,651 times
I heard Papua New Guinea has a ridiculous number of political parties.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
It's right on our doorstep. I'm curious to visit one day, hopefully before modernisation reaches every corner of the island.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM

10,293 posts, read 11,707,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's right on our doorstep. I'm curious to visit one day, hopefully before modernisation reaches every corner of the island.

Lack of modernisation is the reason i don't want to visit almost half of the countries in the world.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,785,951 times
Spot on Davy-040. Fanned and faved.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,778,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Has anyone been to Papua New Guinea? If you have not would you like to go there? In addition what do you know about the country? It a country I don't know much and I never have been there.
I wouldn't be interested in going to Papua New Guinea. It is a very dangerous place. There is not much law and order.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 AM

838 posts, read 846,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I heard Papua New Guinea has a ridiculous number of political parties.
A lot of parliamentary democracies have a multitude of political parties. This is especially true in democratizing countries, countries in which there is significant diversity of many sorts (whether economic, cultural, regional, linguistic, religious, urban/rural, etc), countries where there are weak institutions, countries which are still in early stages of development or which have lower levels of human capital... and so on, and so forth. Those of us from the major English speaking Western countries are used to a small number of viable parties (and those of us who are American are used to a two-party system despite the fact that it is largely an anomaly among democracies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or