U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ????
Taipei 5 29.41%
Boston 6 35.29%
Rome 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,430,228 times
Default Boston vs Taipei vs Rome

These cities have nothing in common.

Cleanliness:

Friendly people:

Attractive people:

Atmosphere:

Open mindness:

Transport:

Multicultural:

Elegancy:

Party:

Culture (museums etc):

Cuisine:

Scenery:

History:

Shopping:

Weather:

Safety:

Affordability:

Hotels:

Architecture:

Movies:

Based off what you know, where would you live IYO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,417,761 times
Taipei vs. Boston is appropriate enough to discuss together, but Rome does not seem easy to compare with those 2 cities.

I select Taipei for most aspects of lifestyle, city attractions, and in most of those specific categories. Boston has some nice things about it, but its just not enchanting, magnificent, and interesting compared to Taipei.

I am surprised those specific categories used is similar to the original categories I said in earlier country vs. country and city vs. city topics months to a year+ before. However, most of the topics I create don’t have that theme anymore and shows another well organized pattern.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Status: "The middle won't work. Ring the one under." (set 14 days ago)

840 posts, read 440,828 times
Wait....Rome or Athens?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,776,107 times
I've been to both Boston and Taipei and hope to go to Rome soon. They're simply too different to compare. For history though Boston easily wins.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 AM

6,516 posts, read 4,146,330 times
For history Boston wins over Rome? Are you mad?!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
For history Boston wins over Rome? Are you mad?!
No over Taipei. There are historic buildings in Taipei, but they're far and few between. Rome of course beats probably any city on earth.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 AM

6,516 posts, read 4,146,330 times
Ok, sorry jumped the gun lol

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,802,891 times
To be honest, I didn't like Rome at all. One of my least 5 favorite places I've been to so far but then again, I'm the sort that looks at history and gets bored rather fast and easily, to me it's like watching paint dry on the wall. Just quaintness and lots of it. However, that's from my point of view, I have several friends that are into stuff like that and while I'll never understand (nor appreciate or care enough) the interest in such things, I can definitely see the appeal to it. Everyone is different and likes different things. Another thing, I don't like most Italian foods, the taste is rather dry and frankly I'm no fan of any foods that doesn't come in a standard hot and spicy (in a VERY excruciating sense) set up.

Now the architecture in Rome was cool, from an architecture point of view it was tight.

However my personality is as such: fast escalators, sophisticated time clocks, high speed broadband, air purifying ventilation and pollen removal systems, LCD's, LED's, maglev, high speed elevators, glass, LEED, infrared, bluetooth, sensor sensitive bathroom machinery, automated everything, so on.

I'm FAR more of a person that's intrigued by the future, something like 2020/2030/2040/2050 so on than I am for the past. One bores me, the other wows me. London is a historic city but it excels in advanced technology, love that. Rome, however, doesn't compete on the level with Taipei on that. Boston is also sweet in this regard albeit Taipei from my understanding takes this front.

I know, my standards can be quite extreme or ridiculous but I am a straight shooter. I cant pretend to like something that I just cant, in regards to visual or taste. My apologies in advance. My own parents are history fanatics, when they see my lack of enthusiasm for history, they often wonder where it came from. It came from living in the information technology era and being culturally influenced by Korean and Japanese technologies and now San Francisco Bay Area ones too.

Last edited by Red John; 04-09-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM

I can appreciate technology and what not too, but I have a deep appreciate for history because well, the past always remain a part of the present. There's thousands of new skyscrapers, but there is only one Colosseum. I'm sure you can at least see it's rarity as an attribute. I think the fact that historical architecture has more of a story/legacy attached to it than the new, gleaming skyscrapers/flashing neon signs is what makes it appeal to me. My dream home is not a condo in Seoul but a villa in Sicily or Crete. And Italian food dry? Isn't most of it like drenched in sauce? lol

Taipei is by no means a boring city, and lives more in the present/'future' than the past (although there is still tradition there) by I find it's faddish, fashionable feel sort of shallow in a way. Taipei isn't a bad city, but if you go by categories it gets beaten in almost all of them by other cities in Asia. Hong Kong is far more spectacular, Singapore's culture/cuisine is more interesting, in some ways Taipei is a wannabe Tokyo or Seoul.

Boston strikes the best balance between old and new imo. I've heard Italy can be a bit decrepit, but Boston paradoxically feels both historic but contemporary/modern. Especially loved Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Fenway and Cambridge.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM

9,416 posts, read 6,218,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Another thing, I don't like most Italian foods, the taste is rather dry and frankly I'm no fan of any foods that doesn't come in a standard hot and spicy (in a VERY excruciating sense) set up.
There's local spicy food in Rome--actually there's a good amount of dishes incorporating chili peppers in their sauces--and even more so once you go further south. Areas in Calabria are famous for chilis to the point that they have local festivals celebrating the locally grown varieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World