U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,159,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
in Australia it used to be King Cross in Sydney
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=k...w=1440&bih=712

But after the lockout laws in Sydney and gentrification, I think Australia's times square version is Federation Square in Melbourne.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...Hv0gnG_IAvVSXM
Boring and dreary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 AM

124 posts, read 41,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Boring and dreary!
Whats boring and dreary? Federation square? It’s way more interesting than Toronto’s wannabe Times Square. King Cross? Hmm there are some nice good restaurants and Potts points and Elizabeth bay are next door, more beautiful neighborhoods than any of Toronto’s neighbourhoods anytime!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM

6,020 posts, read 9,988,837 times
In Milan, it would be Piazza Duomo, and perhaps add in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and Piazza Scala.

In London, years ago I always loved Leicester Square, I suppose mainly because all my favorite bookstores were there, plus a £5 all-you-can-eat spaghetti and pizza joint.

Boy, those were the days.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 AM

4,998 posts, read 5,394,168 times
Oslo - Jernbanetorget

Old 06-16-2018, 07:18 AM

3,367 posts, read 8,368,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Tokyo has three different Times Squares, with Shibuya Crossing being perhaps even more impressive.
So the second one is in Shinjuku, but where's the third one? Roppongi?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,597,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im guessing that in Buenos Aires it would be the Obelisco/Av Corrientes area, with all that neon signs and lights and people walking around. But of course its nothing like times square

Last February I was in this place. The mix of the old architecture with the modernity of neon and ads is really impressive; I regret a lot not having anything similar here in São Paulo.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,443,845 times
I probably (definitely) need to get to New York City for a few days at some point and thoroughly experience the city and it's amenities. That said, I think many here saying there is nothing in the world like Times Square, may not have been all over the world, truly.

Over the past few months, I have had the chance to visit four power cities in succession: Mexico City, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing. Lets keep in mind that from north to south, Times Square is only a quarter mile in length, roughly I think. Anyone have any videos that capture the bustle and energy of Times Square, so it's helpful to compare?

In Mexico City, the area of Chapultepec Park even extending onto Paseo de la Reforma is an area of significant bustle, vendors, multiple levels of traffic, etc. But, the true "Times Square" would probably be the Zocalo itself, and Avenida Madero, which is all pedestrianized, and runs East-West across the historic center for roughly a half mile. I can tell it has gentrified more in the time since then, but the crowds like that are still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT0pirMXU0

Here is Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo. While it is kind of a wide square not totally unlike Times Square, unlike Times Square which is mainly there to serve tourists, Shibuya, while it also does that, is generally filled with people pursuing daily life and activities, or just locals out for a night on the town. Shibuya Square itself is maybe about the same length from end to end as Times Square, but with that said, it seems to have much more vibrancy/neon lights stretching from several side streets as well (however, with Tokyo's unique urban form, it's also significantly quieter/leafy almost once you get about a 10 minute walk from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtOdSgf6Ic

Shinjuku, another major node of Tokyo: (and Tokyo has probably at least 5 other places like this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvtt3oPRzE
Short video, but it gives an idea. Shinjuku Station handles 4M passengers/DAY. Tourists/general vibe, and being more 24/7 than any of these boosts NYC, but still, from a numbers or feel standpoint, I find it hard to imagine NYC has quite the bustle of any of these cities.

Hong Kong's Central area, while high risey and bustling, has much of street activity it seems drawn off to malls/walkways, though of course with the exception of the LKF and Soho. Kowloon is more gritty and more packed at street level (though extremely safe, and eerily quiet on side streets after 11 PM mind you. Here is a video of Mong Kok, a neighborhood that I believe has a density of 100K PSQM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0s2xOihNik Just general life around Mong Kok. Glad I picked our place of stay to be on this side, it was more bustling and authentic. Perhaps like a safer Bangkok?
Busiest street was probably Sai Yeung Choi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oibf3unRa5c

This probably doesn't really do it justice but it gives an idea. Again, bear in mind Sai Yeung Choi, while one of the busier ones, is only one of dozens of streets in Kowloon like this. And, even this stretch goes on for about a half mile like so.

Beijing, I like very much too, but it's different in that it's quite sprawling. That said, you haven't quite experienced crowded until you've ridden the Beijing Metro. Actually, it wasn't so bad in many places.. but the Number 4 line... WHOA. Perhaps the most Times Square-esque place there would be Wangfujing Street, about a mile east of the Forbidden City. It stretches on, pedestrian only, for about a kilometer, or roughly 2-3 times as long as Times Square. It might feel almost a bit sanitized, and not quite as highrisey around it, but the people watching and atmosphere there are hard to beat also. All manner of shopping and dining including a side section of narrow streets that is a food market serving exotic dishes such as scorpion for cheap, directly adjacent to all the neon/LED/bustle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUqySeOxnOM

I'm sure I'll New York City quite a bit when I get a chance to go there for a few days at some point also (doing so sometime in the next couple years is a must), but I thoroughly do not expect it to be quite as vibrant/extensive as the areas I listed. Who knows though, perhaps I'll be surprised again?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM

89 posts, read 16,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
There's no place in the world as close, great and famous as NYC's Times Square
I love Times Square but that's depressing.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM

154 posts, read 117,439 times
In a few years when the oversite development at Tottenham Court Road station is finished, St. Giles Circus will become one of London's newest squares where people will want to congregate. It will have a live music venue and a theatre across the street by Soho Square. The new development will have large screens (as seen in the video below) and will complement Piccadilly Circus, which will only be a 10-minute walk away.

http://vimeo.com/62355101

London just keeps getting better and better!

Old 06-30-2018, 01:45 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,534,791 times
Moscow-Red Square
Growing up it had dark connotations in my young mind with the tail end of the cold war and all. However its a bustling place where locals and tourists both hang out year round. There are plenty of festivals and other events as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or