U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,402,424 times

Advertisements

It just looks like a promising area economically, a beautiful place physically, and a unique place culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM

13,831 posts, read 12,634,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It just looks like a promising area economically, a beautiful place physically, and a unique place culturally.
I am not sure how "promising" economically this place is (the location and surroundings are not working to Georgia's advantage I think,) as for physically and culturally - yes, it's a beautiful place, although I'd say more beautiful from man's point of view than woman's point of view.
It's still a macho culture and slightly archaic as far as I'm concerned, (as much as I like Georgia.)

Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,991,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The Earth has only four 'continents' in the proper sense of the word: Eurafrasia, America, Australia and Antartida.
I have seen texts that consider North and South America as separate continents. Others that consider Africa separate as well. I don't think there are any rules about those "gray" areas.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,779,798 times
Georgia is in the Caucasus. It is one of those countries like Turkey that is in Eastern Europe and Western Asia so it most probably has influences from both. Personally I feel that Georgia is more European influenced so I would think of it as more European.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,649,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I have seen texts that consider North and South America as separate continents. Others that consider Africa separate as well. I don't think there are any rules about those "gray" areas.
Yes, another valid point of view, since the Americas and Africa+Eurasia are separate by tiny land masses. But Europe and Asia constitute a single land mass. Some authors claimed that Asia and Europe are very different in terms of culture, but the Middle East is also culturally different enough both from Europe and Asia. And there is also the case of Russia. According to these criteria, the Middle East plus Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan, etc.) should be a third 'continent' within this land mass.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,354,689 times
Here's an idea of what Georgians think.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 PM

72,873 posts, read 64,312,187 times
Quote:
Nice pics! I have just two questions for you: how fast is Georgia changing and what would it be like to travel there?
I have a friend who just returned from there and had a blast! I think it's similar to Russia in that it's an emerging 2nd World country, and the people are friendly. The culture and music are very rich. I've been to the Caucasus, though not Georgia, and it's beautiful, and a lot of fun.

Where do you live? The University of Washington (Seattle) has classes in Georgian language.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,402,424 times
I just read on the CIA factbook that Georgia considers itself European.

Is it really a male centered society though? How bad is it?

About the economy, I just heard that they have had killer GDP growth in the last several years. Is that true?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM

72,873 posts, read 64,312,187 times
Quote:
I just read on the CIA factbook that Georgia considers itself European.

About the economy, I just heard that they have had killer GDP growth in the last several years. Is that true?
Probably, but then, they had a long way to go. Don't expect it to be spiffy and 1st class, like Western Europe. It's easier to get good growth when you get a lot of US foreign aid and US investment. Much of that doesn't trickle down to average people, though.

A visitor wouldn't notice that it's male-centered, particularly. It's traditionally a warrior society, so it would tend to be patriarchal. Still, women have careers and make it to leadership positions. It's not like parts of the Middle East.

btw, it's worth it to go to Georgia just for those lamb dumplings filihok posted a photo of--seriously!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-10-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,354,689 times
Quote:
Extremely.

I'll recount one personal anecdote.

I was staying with a Georgian family while I was there. One day I came home from work. It was raining torrentially. The family mother prepared my meal while I sat and warmed by the fire. I ate. After I finished she took my plates and cleaned them (I used to try and make my own meals and clean up after myself, but the house grandmother told me in no uncertain terms that that was an insult. The women should do that work). Then she started putting on her boots and rain jacket. I asked where she was going. She said she was going to the store to get cigarettes. This was odd because she didn't smoke (women don't typically smoke or drink in Georgia). I asked why she was buying cigarettes. She said there was going to buy them for her nephew. I asked why he didn't go buy them. She said that he was taking a nap.

So the aunt had to go out walking to the store (a good 15 minute walk) in the rain to buy cigarettes for the nephew while he took a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or