U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM

22 posts, read 35,726 times

Advertisements

North Korea has vowed to disregard the 1953 truce that ended the Korean War, in response to South Korea's joint military drills with the US. North Korea has threatened to cancel the truce that ended the Korean War if South Korea continues its joint military exercises, 'Key Resolve', with the United States. North Korea's military accused the two allies of "hostile policies" and said it would respond with "more and stronger countermeasures.

Pyeongyang says it will also recall its delegates from Panmunjom, the border village where the 1953 armistice was signed and where the North and South's negotiators still meet for talks. South Korea's military must be fully prepared to strike back at the North if its neighbor uses military force.

If North Korea undertakes provocation and threatens peace, South must make it clear that they have all preparations in place for a strong and decisive punishment not only against the source of the aggression and its support forces but also the commanding element.

(Korean War truce is over, North Korea warns South | GlobalPost)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

42,666 posts, read 71,897,044 times
Oh, it's you again. It is not the North Koreans who are turning up the heat. It is Suncloud. It is the US media. The NKs just keep on doing what they always do, and the US National Media is clearly and obviously ramping us up to the West's planned confrontation.

Have you considered that "South Korea's joint military drills with the US", which you admit is happening, it itself a violation of the 1953 peace treaty, and it is the South who is disregarding the peaceful division that everyone internationally agreed to?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM

20,424 posts, read 21,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, it's you again. It is not the North Koreans who are turning up the heat. It is Suncloud. It is the US media. The NKs just keep on doing what they always do, and the US National Media is clearly and obviously ramping us up to the West's planned confrontation.

Have you considered that "South Korea's joint military drills with the US", which you admit is happening, it itself a violation of the 1953 peace treaty, and it is the South who is disregarding the peaceful division that everyone internationally agreed to?
suncloud's a bit of one-note poster, but I'm curious as to your reasons for defending North Korea in his topics. It seems odd given the kind of rhetoric North Korea routinely puts out just about every day which is insanely inflammatory and which has been dialed up in recent months. Have you watched any of these things? They're broadcasted every single day and it seems obvious that they've been ramped for something like a couple decades now. It also was explicitly not a peace treaty, but an armistice and the joint military drill is not conducted within the demilitarized zone or in North Korean territory. I actually don't know what provision in the 1953 armistice prohibits it or if there was any addendums in regards to the matter.

Do you also distrust reports of human rights violations, torture and labor camps in North Korea? Do you also distrust reports of famine or anything about the lavish lifestyle of the elite?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-07-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM

11,606 posts, read 17,601,417 times
Why NK is turing the heat up again is the same reason they always turn up the heat - they want to extort a couple truckloads of rice from the west or china to feed their starving population. Isn't this obvious from the 20 or so times they turned up the heat in the past? It's always the same, always. Give them rice and the US can send over another NBA basketball player to keep the supreme leader happy. A planeload of prostitutes will also make him happy.
People get nervous here in the west, people in Seoul laugh about it. When you see the citizens of Seoul go to bomb shelters, then start worrying. Otherwise dont' worry about the madman in the north. Let China worry about it.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,538,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
suncloud's a bit of one-note poster, but I'm curious as to your reasons for defending North Korea in his topics.?
The type of person who has an axe to grind regarding the US and its Western allies, but has nothing but praise for Banana Republic feral states like North Korea. The North Koreans are ordinary people, the people in charge of North Korea are lunatics. When the US starts posturing nuclear war, I'll sit up and take more notice.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM

6,466 posts, read 6,501,127 times
Because their leader is a nutjob!!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,749,207 times
They need more food. This is how they bargain.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,998,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Because their leader is a nutjob!!
I think he suffers from some birth defect. I don't think he's really the ruler. He's a robot produced through an incestuous union of two closely related vacuum cleaners.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 AM

42,666 posts, read 71,897,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
suncloud's a bit of one-note poster, but I'm curious as to your reasons for defending North Korea in his topics.?
I don't defend North Korea. I point out the contradictions and inconsistencies and outright lies in Suncloud's blogs. I ridicule Sunclouds constant efforts to drum up hatred and antipathy against a country that is no threat to us and has never posed a credible threat to any other country. To say that is not a "defense" of North Korea, except to the extent that they have a right to be left alone to evolve as their nation will and as every nation has a right to.

Quote:
Do you also distrust reports of human rights violations, torture and labor camps in North Korea?
The usually quoted figures are 200,000 in labor camps, which, per capita, is about the same as the number of incarcerated Americans. In both countries, these are all people who knowingly violated the law and got caught, not random Koreans being rounded up in the streets and sent to labor camps. I have not heard anything about torture, except in blogs, and never backed up with any specific incidents, and it was the Americans during the Bush administration that validated torture up to the point of organ failure, so NK is not breaking any new ground there, assuming there is any torture, which remains to be demonstrated.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-08-2013 at 12:58 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,998,575 times
I am perfectly happy to let the Chinese handle this. They have already indicated that their strategy on the matter will be an attempt to bring NK in line and find a result that will satisfy the majority of nations especially those in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or